RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Japan or Canada built?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-23, 08:05 AM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 628 Likes on 334 Posts
Default Japan or Canada built?

im still wondering how it got past their QC in the Canadian factory. This is why i adamantly refuse to buy a north American built Lexus (the 17 RX being the first and last Canadian built Lexus ill ever own). I dont care how many awards the factory won, or what kind of praises were lavished on them, its still not as good as the Japanese ones. We are paying for a Japanese car with the expectation it comes with Japanese build quality. if i wanted an American/Canadian car, id go buy a trailblazer or an escalade.
The following 3 users liked this post by Badhobz:
RA121823 (12-10-23), SoCalRX (02-06-23), Tom44 (02-07-23)
Old 02-06-23, 08:08 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Badhobz
im still wondering how it got past their QC in the Canadian factory. This is why i adamantly refuse to buy a north American built Lexus (the 17 RX being the first and last Canadian built Lexus ill ever own). I dont care how many awards the factory won, or what kind of praises were lavished on them, its still not as good as the Japanese ones. We are paying for a Japanese car with the expectation it comes with Japanese build quality. if i wanted an American/Canadian car, id go buy a trailblazer or an escalade.
Truthfully I think this is a total overreaction. I've had many cars from that factory and all have been fine. It's a new model. It's a GAS DOOR. It will get fixed and worked out. And we'll move on and our vehicles will maintain the Lexus reputation.
The following 2 users liked this post by daryll40:
Measured (12-10-23), WellsB (12-10-23)
Old 02-06-23, 08:35 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

I respect your opinion, but I just don’t see that from my ownership. I currently have both a Japanese and Canadian Lexus in my garage. I cannot honestly say one exhibits better quality than the other. The 21 RX is my first North American built Lexus. Both have been excellent and are reasonably rattle free. Based on my experience, I wouldn’t have any problem buying another Lexus built in North America. In the spirit of full disclosure, I should share that both the 19 ESh and the 21 RXh have under 10K miles so they aren’t exactly driven hard.
The following 2 users liked this post by TechNut:
daryll40 (02-06-23), WellsB (12-10-23)
Old 02-06-23, 09:11 AM
Badhobz
Instructor

i got a whole fleet of lexussuususus (see signature) and even my Lexus service advisor of 20+ years also agrees. Canadian built RX isnt up to snuff compared to the Japanese ones. The panel gaps are bigger, the tolerances are less and even the paint is softer. He had to repaint some of these newer RX's straight form the factory because of small nicks/swirls (along with the gas cap issues, capacitive steer wheel touch button issues, interface lag/crash issues, etc) so he's pretty much fed up with the 5th gen RX's already.

I was thinking of replacing her RX with the newer one, but now ill hold off until mid cycle refresh until they get the bugs worked out.

Last edited by Badhobz; 02-06-23 at 10:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Badhobz:
R9000 (02-07-23), SoCalRX (02-06-23)
Old 02-06-23, 10:24 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

Good video. Makes your point. That being said, I’ll continue to buy Ontario Toyota products and enjoy “almost perfect” experiences!
Old 02-06-23, 10:55 AM
Badhobz
Instructor

It’s not like we have much choice now. The RXs will forever be made in North America and they discontinued the L model (which were all made in Japan).

Only option is to go GX or LX and those aren’t too practical if you’re driving is 100% city. I think the UX is made in Japan too but yarg. That’s more of a hatchback then a suv.
Old 02-06-23, 03:29 PM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

i got a whole fleet of lexussuususus (see signature) and even my Lexus service advisor of 20+ years also agrees. Canadian built RX isnt up to snuff compared to the Japanese ones. The panel gaps are bigger, the tolerances are less and even the paint is softer. He had to repaint some of these newer RX's straight form the factory because of small nicks/swirls (along with the gas cap issues, capacitive steer wheel touch button issues, interface lag/crash issues, etc) so he's pretty much fed up with the 5th gen RX's already. I was thinking of replacing her RX with the newer one, but now ill hold off until mid cycle refresh until they get the bugs worked out. https://youtu.be/vG0-nramC6Q
​​​​​​​So in one post you say you'll never buy a N.A. made Lexus. Then in another post you state you'll wait till the mid cycle refresh n purchase... which will still be built in N.A.-- Canada.​​​​​​​Little over reaction I'm thinking. Could always sell all the Lexus in garage n go buy Ford etc... ooops made in USA. 😉
The following users liked this post:
RolfK (02-08-23)
Old 02-06-23, 04:20 PM
chuuck1e
Pit Crew

Received 96 Likes on 57 Posts

When I was at my local dealer in Southern California last week, I was surprised to see four 2023 RXs that were built in Japan. I thought all US sold ones were built in Canada.

I personally would prefer one built in Japan, but would buy one built in Canada.
Old 02-07-23, 01:03 AM
Ago1977
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How you can determinate where the car is built JP or US?
Old 02-07-23, 01:22 AM
Dhill
Pit Crew

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by chuuck1e
When I was at my local dealer in Southern California last week, I was surprised to see four 2023 RXs that were built in Japan. I thought all US sold ones were built in Canada.

I personally would prefer one built in Japan, but would buy one built in Canada.
Let us know which dealer has Japan built RXs. Would like to track their inventory to see how many they get in.

Cars built in Canada have VINs starting with 2, Japan starts with a J. US starts with a 1, 4 or 5.
Old 02-07-23, 02:49 AM
trfnj74
10th Gear

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

Both of my local dealerships stated the only RX’s made in Japan are the RX 500h (later on the 450h) . All others are made in Canada…

Last edited by trfnj74; 02-07-23 at 04:26 AM.
Old 02-07-23, 04:46 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,133 Likes on 733 Posts

Bought a 2023 NX 350h in December of 2022 and it is built in Japan.
Old 02-07-23, 05:31 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,278 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by Dhill
Let us know which dealer has Japan built RXs. Would like to track their inventory to see how many they get in.

Cars built in Canada have VINs starting with 2, Japan starts with a J. US starts with a 1, 4 or 5.
Originally Posted by trfnj74
Both of my local dealerships stated the only RX’s made in Japan are the RX 500h (later on the 450h) . All others are made in Canada…
Lexus of Palm Beach seems to be 50-50 in terms of the number of cars that they have built in Japan versus Canada. I'm afraid that the claim of only the 500h being built in Japan is incorrect as the LOPB inventory shows even 350s from Japan.
Old 02-07-23, 05:48 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 577 Likes on 408 Posts

Based on my 20+ years with buying cars, EVERY car has issues when it is initially released; No matter where it is made or who designed it.

Lexus is still designed in Japan, even if assembled in Canada with mostly North American parts. But I think it is still superior to many others in terms of quality. I bought my Canadian made, first year RX4 in 2016, same time as my brothers GLE 350. Since then I had many TSBs to fix issues that were discovered, but mostly minor. The GLE on the other hand has had over $20K in various repairs right after warranty and many during warranty period.....

Everyone is entitled to their opinion though.
The following 2 users liked this post by toyotaman7:
RolfK (02-08-23), WellsB (12-10-23)
Old 02-07-23, 05:53 AM
trfnj74
10th Gear

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
Lexus of Palm Beach seems to be 50-50 in terms of the number of cars that they have built in Japan versus Canada. I'm afraid that the claim of only the 500h being built in Japan is incorrect as the LOPB inventory shows even 350s from Japan.
I'm just stating what both of my local dealerships have told me. All of the RX models they have received with the exception of the 500h's and (450 h+) have all come from Canada. Didn't information from different dealerships I guess....

Quick Reply: Japan or Canada built?