RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Shadowed Spots on the Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-23, 07:26 PM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Shadowed Spots on the Headlights

Hello everyone!

I have the stock lights for the Prem+ trim; not the upgraded 3-beam lights. I noticed a shadowed area/spot on the driver's side headlight. I took some pics, please see below. If you look at the up close pics, you will see a couple of symmetric "L" shaped spots on both sides. However, when driving, it seems this same "L" shaped spot gets in the filed of view and appears as a shadowed spot on the driver's side only. This doesn't seem to be an issue with the high beam.

Is this normal?

Area in question is circled in red.

This is an up close shot of the driver's side headlight.

Both headlights from up close.

Last edited by CCTX; 02-06-23 at 07:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Wait4Vtec (09-18-23)
Old 02-07-23, 08:27 AM
CCTX
Pit Crew

I have been researching this online and found out that some headlights may have some patterns on the driver's side to reduce glare and avoid blinding incoming traffic. So, does anyone have anything like this? Thanks!
ggebhardt (09-18-23)
Old 02-07-23, 08:53 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

That is true but the patterns I've seen don't look like that.. Don't know what is causing that maybe someone else knows.
Old 02-07-23, 08:59 AM
Julius071
Intermediate

Received 122 Likes on 89 Posts

With lights off are there anything in front of the projector lens that you could see?!
Old 02-07-23, 09:16 AM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Julius071
With lights off are there anything in front of the projector lens that you could see?!
No, I checked and couldn't see anything.
Old 02-08-23, 07:53 AM
hugsmindy
Driver

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Here's a night image of mine....

The following 2 users liked this post by hugsmindy:
CCTX (02-08-23), Julius071 (02-08-23)
Old 02-08-23, 09:02 AM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Very nice looking car!! By any chance, can you show the reflection of the lights on the garage door or on the road?
Old 02-09-23, 09:51 PM
estim8tr
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I too noticed these shadow spots on my headlights shortly after taking delivery, I don’t have the premium triple beams. I thought this was strange, nothing visible from inspecting the headlights when they are off, but you can see it when you look at them while illuminated, the shadow anomaly projecting on the exterior of the headlight housing. Maybe I will ask my dealer about it next time I’m there for service and see what they have to say…but I’m not convinced this is normal operation
Old 02-10-23, 04:15 AM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by estim8tr
I too noticed these shadow spots on my headlights shortly after taking delivery, I don’t have the premium triple beams. I thought this was strange, nothing visible from inspecting the headlights when they are off, but you can see it when you look at them while illuminated, the shadow anomaly projecting on the exterior of the headlight housing. Maybe I will ask my dealer about it next time I’m there for service and see what they have to say…but I’m not convinced this is normal operation
Yes, mine is the standard beam too. I am planning to bring it up with the dealer but don't expect much help unfortunately. I have seen another thread for the new NX with the same issue. Similarly, other brands including Mercedes and Lucid have a very similar issue. The sentiment among those online is that it is by design.
Old 02-10-23, 04:48 AM
estim8tr
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CCTX
Yes, mine is the standard beam too. I am planning to bring it up with the dealer but don't expect much help unfortunately. I have seen another thread for the new NX with the same issue. Similarly, other brands including Mercedes and Lucid have a very similar issue. The sentiment among those online is that it is by design.
agree, I’m not expecting much either but a technical explanation if it is by design would be nice, then at least you know why they are like that
CCTX (02-10-23)
Old 02-28-23, 05:51 PM
CCTX
Pit Crew

I received the car back today and it was determined to be normal. They provided a pic of similar pattern of another vehicle they have. As expected, not much of an explanation was provided other than it is like other cars they have.
Old 03-06-23, 11:52 AM
almot
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Read the Manual. It's explaining shadowed headlights.
ggebhardt (09-17-23)
Old 09-16-23, 03:16 PM
Lexusofwhat
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RFID touch n go stains causing the issue?

Showed the dealer the blind spot issue and they are claiming it is caused by a sticker stain from an RFID sticker (ie. FASTRAK) or garage opener. Car is brand new and I didn't attach anything to the headlights. Is this an issue from the manufacturer using RFID on the vehicle or discoleration caused by heat from the headlamps or a touch n go sticker being used for tracking vehicles in the lot?

Touch n go being used by dealer for tracking when in lot??

If you go close to a wall, it will look lile the L shape also

Last edited by Lexusofwhat; 09-17-23 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-18-23, 11:52 AM
Klamalama
Pit Crew

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

I have the same trim and the same headlights. BOTH of my headlights have the "issue" you pointed out. It's annoying, at night, and I'm not happy about it. I don't know if it's a defect, or a designed defect. Either way, I consider it a defect.
Old 09-18-23, 01:45 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

From what I understand it was designed that way so it did not blind oncoming traffic.

Quick Reply: Shadowed Spots on the Headlights