RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Experiences with steering wheel controls

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-24 | 05:07 AM
asj2024
Advanced

I love the steering controls and the HUD on the 450h+. The buttons are customizable as to what they show on the HUD, and being able to see everything on the HUD without taking your eyes off the road is great. The turn directions even shows up on it.

I also saw the CR vid and they're just plain wrong. They are testing for short periods of time, and it looks like they didn't even bother to read the manual or look stuff up.

Oh, and for what it's worth, love the push button door handles inside, since it also has easy conventional release for emergencies. It's more ergonomic. Instead of grabbing, pulling, then pushing, all you need to do is push. One step vs three.

Last edited by asj2024; 03-13-24 at 05:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by asj2024:
Bentru (03-13-24), Freds430 (03-13-24)
Old 03-13-24 | 07:04 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Klamalama
I've been driving for many decades and have never opened a car door on a pedestrian or bicyclist. The new door opening methodology (both entrance and exit) is a solution looking for a problem that does not exist.
So you think nobody ever opened a door and was hit on the side of oncoming traffic? Hmmmm
The following users liked this post:
Urlik (03-13-24)
Old 03-13-24 | 07:06 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by asj2024
I love the steering controls and the HUD on the 450h+. The buttons are customizable as to what they show on the HUD, and being able to see everything on the HUD without taking your eyes off the road is great. The turn directions even shows up on it.

I also saw the CR vid and they're just plain wrong. They are testing for short periods of time, and it looks like they didn't even bother to read the manual or look stuff up.

Oh, and for what it's worth, love the push button door handles inside, since it also has easy conventional release for emergencies. It's more ergonomic. Instead of grabbing, pulling, then pushing, all you need to do is push. One step vs three.

Old 03-14-24 | 10:04 AM
WellsB
Advanced

The HUD steering wheel controls are my biggest gripe to date. Except for the dedicated buttons, they rarely work for me the first time. I often press them twice and they still don't do what I wanted them to do. The touch sensitive part for me rarely activates for me, so I have to very intentionally press the button once, wait for it to activate on the HUD, then press it again. It winds up making it distracting, which is the very opposite of what a HUD is supposed to do.
Old 03-14-24 | 10:11 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by WellsB
The HUD steering wheel controls are my biggest gripe to date. Except for the dedicated buttons, they rarely work for me the first time. I often press them twice and they still don't do what I wanted them to do. The touch sensitive part for me rarely activates for me, so I have to very intentionally press the button once, wait for it to activate on the HUD, then press it again. It winds up making it distracting, which is the very opposite of what a HUD is supposed to do.
I use them without HUD which I despise but they work perfectly watching from the main center cluster. Are you wearing gloves? I suspect that will interfere with the touch sensitivity.
Old 03-14-24 | 10:15 AM
WellsB
Advanced

I'm not wearing gloves. There is a glove mode that's supposed to increase sensitivity. I've tried it both ways and it made no difference.
Old 03-14-24 | 10:45 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Originally Posted by WellsB
They’re probably working as intended. VW chose to do their haptic steering wheel buttons as always active and they got roasted for accidentally hitting things while driving when people didn’t want to do it. Lexus chose to avoid this issue and not always have them active so you need to wake it up. Try this technique, wipe your thumb along the buttons and then press the one you want. When you do the wipe the HUD will show what each button does. Once you get used to it it becomes one movement.
Old 05-05-24 | 12:38 PM
DuckManinMS
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by mcomer
The square touch pad buttons on the steering wheel are only on those with HUD.
Just pass your thumb over the pad and the HUD will show the choices to make.
Clear and bright in the HUD but faint and hard to see on the instrument panel.
Solid mechanical button(s) just below the pads trigger function changes for each pad.

This seems to be a first step in involving additional features to be added. As I am a
fan of real solid single purpose buttons and ***** this is a harbinger of a design
philosophy I am not yet ready for...
2024 RX350H - I agree with the comment on the bright HUD and hard to see instrument panel. I have been unable to brighten the display enough in daytime driving. It's almost useless. Without HUD, I'd be really pissed. Night time is better. Any suggestions on how to increase brightness more than the up/down buttons to the left of the wheel allow?
Old 05-05-24 | 12:42 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DuckManinMS
2024 RX350H - I agree with the comment on the bright HUD and hard to see instrument panel. I have been unable to brighten the display enough in daytime driving. It's almost useless. Without HUD, I'd be really pissed. Night time is better. Any suggestions on how to increase brightness more than the up/down buttons to the left of the wheel allow?
Faint in the cluster? Not sure what you mean. I never use HUD and see the controls crystal clear in the MID.
Old 05-05-24 | 05:26 PM
chuckNX
Advanced

Originally Posted by cwpearre
My experience (2 weeks after purchase) is the multi-purpose buttons are very user friendly and don't require you to look at the buttons since they are displayed on the HUD. It only took a few drives to learn the buttons. I was extremely apprehensive after reading some of the reviews, but was pleasantly surprised when actually using them.
I agree. Also, being able to custom program is genius.
Old 05-05-24 | 07:40 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Originally Posted by chuckNX
I agree. Also, being able to custom program is genius.
A shame the custom choices are limited to their few choices and the right side alternates are not available when using the cruise control.
Bentru (05-06-24)
Old 05-05-24 | 08:49 PM
chuckNX
Advanced

Originally Posted by DuckManinMS
if the brightness is not adjusting properly, did you not notice this on your test drive? Has dealer attempted to resolve?

No sense being pissed. I’m sure something really simple to solve if not human error.
Old 05-06-24 | 06:38 AM
js6543md
Driver School Candidate

The main instrument panel in front of the driver is incredibly dim even with the brightness all the way up... Many other cars have much
brighter main screen... it's not human error it's a product problem with a cheap screen
Old 05-06-24 | 11:16 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by js6543md
The main instrument panel in front of the driver is incredibly dim even with the brightness all the way up... Many other cars have much
brighter main screen... it's not human error it's a product problem with a cheap screen
Ours seems not really any different than any other car we've owned. I never even checked to see if it's at max level.
MUIUUI (05-07-24)
Old 05-07-24 | 09:22 AM
QPL
Rookie

I have the lux trim with the Heads-up display so I have the "touchpad" on both sides of the steering wheel. I have learned how to use and there its ok for me. I had a 2018 NX with the mousepad and hated it. I don't use the steering wheel controls because of the 14inch Touch screen its just easier.

Quick Reply: Experiences with steering wheel controls