RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Trying to decide between RX350 vs MDX

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-23, 10:50 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,118 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by itsraysgs
My father's 2005 MDX just gave out on him this year at 260k miles.. might want to put that in perspective!
Thanks for making my point. Acura prior to 2012 were bulletproof. Two friends with a 2010 TL and a 2009 TL both with very few problems. J D Power looks at cars three years old. So for your father's MDX that would be the 2008 survey when Acura was fifth in reliability. Acura and Honda today are not Acura and Honda 15-20 years ago which is my original point. The last two years out of 32 manufacturers Acura is 21st and 28th in dependability.
Old 02-19-23, 12:35 PM
Elvisfan
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Funson
Test drove both 2023 Rx350 and MDX, MDX wins in more ways than one and the s at a similar price point. Am curious what made you buy Rx350?
looking to understand some reasoning to help make a decision
we have a last gen MDX 2017 hybrid. Trouble free for 5.5 years. If the new generation had a hybrid, we would have it now. My wife likes how big it it. We have looked at the RX. Sat in it. It’s smaller and the rear seat doesn’t fold flat. So much less space. We would only be interested in the 350H. Don’t know about the 4 cyl and the CVT. The console infringed on my wife’s space. Also, CR really hated the HUD and the unmarked steering wheel buttons. The 360 camera is a must. Yes, it’s a stand alone option but, since you can’t order one, you have to hope the one they have has it. Also, just because you can make the inside door handle electronic, why? Also, the rear seats don’t adjust or recline.
The following 2 users liked this post by Elvisfan:
Eingraham (09-11-23), neilsarkar (03-17-23)
Old 02-19-23, 01:37 PM
hugsmindy
Driver

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Elvisfan
we have a last gen MDX 2017 hybrid. Trouble free for 5.5 years. If the new generation had a hybrid, we would have it now. My wife likes how big it it. We have looked at the RX. Sat in it. It’s smaller and the rear seat doesn’t fold flat. So much less space. We would only be interested in the 350H. Don’t know about the 4 cyl and the CVT. The console infringed on my wife’s space. Also, CR really hated the HUD and the unmarked steering wheel buttons. The 360 camera is a must. Yes, it’s a stand alone option but, since you can’t order one, you have to hope the one they have has it. Also, just because you can make the inside door handle electronic, why? Also, the rear seats don’t adjust or recline.
A couple of my personal answers:
  1. The 4 cylinder and the CVT in the Lexus is great. I came from the 21 V6 and I have no issues with it. My husband has been an automotive service manager for about 30 years and Toyota/Lexus CVT’s are the only ones he is comfortable with their dependability long term. Again, the gas mileage is a major plus!
  2. The rear seats do adjust and recline.
  3. The door handles are electric because of the sensor for oncoming bicyclist/motorcycles. The door will not open with the electric door opener if it detects oncoming traffic. You can manually open it, but it’s a great safety feature.
  4. Space is different, so that’s something for each individual to determine, but we’ve never had an issue with lack of space in our RX’s.
The following 3 users liked this post by hugsmindy:
dklanecky1 (02-20-23), Freds430 (02-19-23), RDLGX (02-19-23)
Old 02-19-23, 01:49 PM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by budwom
Yes, I’ve seen owner satisfaction surveys in which Acura owners are not thrilled with their vehicles. And as someone noted Honda is having more reliability issues than they once did including gasoline getting into the engine oil. For me the overwhelming factor in getting the RX is reliability.
Having said that I admit I am a bit twitchy about buying a car in its first year of production. I’m choosing to trust Lexus. We’ll see how it goes
I'm twitchy also about the first year of production at this point. I had a mechanic just last week tell me that they are having people that have bought new cars the past few months ( Lexus wasn't mentioned) that are at a standstill because they have a problem of some kind, and that there are no parts available, and they can't even drive them. All part of the pandemic, shortness of chips etc., and that some of the recent chips aren't working as they should. Very sad.
Old 02-19-23, 03:17 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronn1
I'm twitchy also about the first year of production at this point. I had a mechanic just last week tell me that they are having people that have bought new cars the past few months ( Lexus wasn't mentioned) that are at a standstill because they have a problem of some kind, and that there are no parts available, and they can't even drive them. All part of the pandemic, shortness of chips etc., and that some of the recent chips aren't working as they should. Very sad.
Based on the admittedly unscientific and random posts here, it appears that the new RX isn’t experiencing any serious issues that would make it undrivable or even badly annoying to drive. Some complaints about higher than expected noise. Delayed second key FOB. Initial Digital Key failure that’s been fixed. No trunk rubber mat. No body side moldings. Yawn
The following 2 users liked this post by daryll40:
dklanecky1 (02-20-23), RDLGX (02-19-23)
Old 02-19-23, 03:28 PM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
Based on the admittedly unscientific and random posts here, it appears that the new RX isn’t experiencing any serious issues that would make it undrivable or even badly annoying to drive. Some complaints about higher than expected noise. Delayed second key FOB. Initial Digital Key failure that’s been fixed. No trunk rubber mat. No body side moldings. Yawn
Yes, I know. It's just the little things that can still be annoying . I have bought several first year models from Toyota, and had very few issues. I think at this time, it's just because the world is a bit different than before. I will get a new Lexus ! Hoping more to choose from soon !
Old 02-19-23, 04:53 PM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 208 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
I hear you, but it is best to not roil the automotive gods.
Old 02-19-23, 05:01 PM
Elvisfan
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by hugsmindy
A couple of my personal answers:
  1. The 4 cylinder and the CVT in the Lexus is great. I came from the 21 V6 and I have no issues with it. My husband has been an automotive service manager for about 30 years and Toyota/Lexus CVT’s are the only ones he is comfortable with their dependability long term. Again, the gas mileage is a major plus!
  2. The rear seats do adjust and recline.
  3. The door handles are electric because of the sensor for oncoming bicyclist/motorcycles. The door will not open with the electric door opener if it detects oncoming traffic. You can manually open it, but it’s a great safety feature.
  4. Space is different, so that’s something for each individual to determine, but we’ve never had an issue with lack of space in our RX’s.
1. Fair enough.
2. I must have missed that.
3. ok, my MB uses the blind spot system to beep if you open the door. I guess it depends on how far you want to go.
4, We carry a lot of stuff to and from Florida.
Old 03-11-23, 06:50 AM
NJgirl18
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am coming from a 2015 Acura RDX and for awhile I thought I would want the MDX for more space. I looked at everything this go around when looking for a new car and Acura while it was amazing is underwhelming to me unless you spend in the higher trim level and even thought not that luxurious.

I was seriously contemplating a 2023 Honda Pilot Elite but the truth was I didn't need the extra room. The MDX while bigger I felt that the 3rd row is pretty useless. I have owned a handful of Toyotas and always admired the RX and talked about getting one day. Deposit went down last night on RX 350 Premium with the 14" infotainment. I can not wait!!!!
The following 3 users liked this post by NJgirl18:
aggot (03-11-23), FMY421 (03-11-23), Julius071 (03-11-23)
Old 03-11-23, 08:18 AM
Julius071
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by NJgirl18
I am coming from a 2015 Acura RDX and for awhile I thought I would want the MDX for more space. I looked at everything this go around when looking for a new car and Acura while it was amazing is underwhelming to me unless you spend in the higher trim level and even thought not that luxurious.

I was seriously contemplating a 2023 Honda Pilot Elite but the truth was I didn't need the extra room. The MDX while bigger I felt that the 3rd row is pretty useless. I have owned a handful of Toyotas and always admired the RX and talked about getting one day. Deposit went down last night on RX 350 Premium with the 14" infotainment. I can not wait!!!!
welcome! Cant wait for your rx to arrive. Dont forget to post photos!
The following users liked this post:
NJgirl18 (03-12-23)
Old 03-11-23, 10:31 AM
alan2955
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
At a similar price point as you state there must be many reasons why in 2022 and every year prior the RX has sold almost twice as many units as the MDX. In 2022 this is a 4th generation model that has basically been out since 2016 versus a brand new redo in 2022 for the MDX. The RX is the best selling luxury SUV in units last year with the X3 #2 selling 35% less vehicles.

J D Power ranks Lexus for 2023 again #1 in dependability. Lexus has been #1 22 out of the last 27 years. The RX again is the most dependable premium midsize SUV. It gets better than that because they state the RX is the most reliable of all vehicles for their 2023 survey. Acura is 21 in the study. Lexus is lowest in maintenance cost among the luxury vehicles and lowest in depreciation and second highest among sales satisfaction only behind Porsche. Service department satisfaction they are #1. Brand loyalty in the luxury SUV category Lexus is #2 behind BMW. The WSJ states Toyota is the most respected auto manufacturer.

Now this is my opinion. The MDX is a nice vehicle especially if you need the room. With the third seat down the cargo space is huge. A good friend had a 2017 RX and bought a 2022 MDX only because of the room issue, five grandkids and three dogs. After 1 1/2 years with the MDX and again comparing it to a five year older SUV and a different generation then the 2023 RX she misses her RX. I have had nine Acura's and thought I would stay with them forever. They were pretty reliable. About 10-12 years ago something happened at Honda/Acura. They always use to be in the top five with Acura and Toyota for dependabilty. My last Acura a 2012 RL started getting problem after problem. Came over to Lexus ten years ago for both our vehicles. On our sixth Lexus each sold with around 100,000 miles and never had one back for anything other than routine maintenance. The fourth generation RX and MDX were about even in looks both exterior and interior. The fifth generation RX again comparing Lexus's new remodel to Acura's remodel the RX blows it away in looks. I would only buy a hybrid and 36 mpg for a SUV the size of a RX is impressive. The MDX overall mpg is 21. With today's gasoline prices and what tomorrows prices will be no way would I buy a vehicle with a 21 mpg rating.
i’m not sure where people come up with saying that Lexus has good resale. My six month old, 5400 mile RX 350 F sport has terrible resale. I’m sick of listening to and feeling the exhaust drone and growl around 1600 RPM so I’ve tried to trade it off on a 2023 RX. KBB says it’s worth about $53,000 versus original purchase price of over 59,000. But one Lexus dealer offered me 40,000 for it, and another one offered me 49,000. The 40,000 was a complete insult, but even the 49,000 is terrible resale to lose $10,000 in six months. Carmax offered me 48,000. The car is an absolutely immaculate condition and never been in any accident. Strangely the 2021 Highlander Platinum that I traded on the Lexus is still worth $45,000 on KBB with 20,000 miles! Apparently Highlander has far better resale. Guess I’ll keep driving the Lexus a while longer.
Old 03-11-23, 10:43 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 208 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by alan2955
i’m not sure where people come up with saying that Lexus has good resale. My six month old, 5400 mile RX 350 F sport has terrible resale. I’m sick of listening to and feeling the exhaust drone and growl around 1600 RPM so I’ve tried to trade it off on a 2023 RX. KBB says it’s worth about $53,000 versus original purchase price of over 59,000. But one Lexus dealer offered me 40,000 for it, and another one offered me 49,000. The 40,000 was a complete insult, but even the 49,000 is terrible resale to lose $10,000 in six months. Carmax offered me 48,000. The car is an absolutely immaculate condition and never been in any accident. Strangely the 2021 Highlander Platinum that I traded on the Lexus is still worth $45,000 on KBB with 20,000 miles! Apparently Highlander has far better resale. Guess I’ll keep driving the Lexus a while longer.

sell to a non dealer! Of course dealers will low ball you. Generally they make more money on used cars than new ones. As for the MDX, the hideously large emblem on the front is seriously ugly
Old 03-11-23, 02:13 PM
alan2955
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by budwom

sell to a non dealer! Of course dealers will low ball you. Generally they make more money on used cars than new ones. As for the MDX, the hideously large emblem on the front is seriously ugly
selling to a non-dealer loses me about a $3500 sales tax credit, versus trading it in on on a new car. So I still take a bath. I’m just kind of shocked at that resale on these is so poor, compared to a highlander. Of course, except for not being fancy, the Highlander is actually a more useful vehicle. More cargo space, more legroom in the backseat, a third row, and otherwise very similar, driving dynamics and noise levels. Lexus is definitely a sexier car though.
Old 03-12-23, 03:06 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,517 Likes on 1,797 Posts

Originally Posted by alan2955
selling to a non-dealer loses me about a $3500 sales tax credit, versus trading it in on on a new car. So I still take a bath. I’m just kind of shocked at that resale on these is so poor, compared to a highlander. Of course, except for not being fancy, the Highlander is actually a more useful vehicle. More cargo space, more legroom in the backseat, a third row, and otherwise very similar, driving dynamics and noise levels. Lexus is definitely a sexier car though.
Once a new gen is out, the prior gen values decline. Lexus resale is superior to most brands in general (PERIOD).
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
Elvisfan (03-12-23), FMY421 (03-12-23)
Old 03-14-23, 03:09 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

I owned a 2022 MDX and am now the proud owner of a 23 RX350 Luxury with the 21” wheels.

I like the Lexus way more. Handles better, better ride, better fit and finish. The RX is a winner to me.
The following 4 users liked this post by ggebhardt:
Freds430 (03-14-23), Julius071 (03-15-23), NJgirl18 (03-14-23), RDLGX (03-15-23)

Quick Reply: Trying to decide between RX350 vs MDX