RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Trying to decide between RX350 vs MDX

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-23, 06:24 PM
Elvisfan
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
‘You made the right choice by going with the RX. I had a 2022 MDX and the bottom of the seat developed wrinkles in less than a week. I was not the only,one, everyone on the MDX forum was complaining. The interior of the RX is superior and you will enjoy for sure.

‘’pictures when you can.
I’m on the 3rd gen MDX forum. Haven’t seen many complaints about the seats at all. I have never complained.
Old 03-19-23, 02:04 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by Elvisfan
I’m on the 3rd gen MDX forum. Haven’t seen many complaints about the seats at all. I have never complained.
‘Some people don’t complain. I hated opening the door on my new MDX and seeing the wrinkled seat bottom. The forum I was a member of and likely you too have multiple images of the seat after only days of use.
The following users liked this post:
Freds430 (03-19-23)
Old 03-19-23, 05:00 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,118 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
‘Some people don’t complain. I hated opening the door on my new MDX and seeing the wrinkled seat bottom. The forum I was a member of and likely you too have multiple images of the seat after only days of use.
Visited friends last week had not seen in two years. She bought a 2022 MDX. In their garage looking at it opened the door and the first thing I noticed was the condition of hers seats. Looked terrible looked ten years old.
ggebhardt (10-07-23)
Old 09-02-23, 07:52 PM
CCGS
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

I have had a 2016 and 2017 MDX Navi and both were great SUVs, I really love the styling, appointments and for me no reliability issues. I was in the market for a new SUV but given the rise of gas I could not justify a ICE SUV, sadly for me Acura stated that they will not bring back the MDX hybrid so I purchased the RX350h Luxury (Canada version) in late June. No regrets, love the RX, but seems Acura has missed the boat on hybrids. Cheers
Old 09-03-23, 08:19 AM
Elvisfan
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by CCGS
I have had a 2016 and 2017 MDX Navi and both were great SUVs, I really love the styling, appointments and for me no reliability issues. I was in the market for a new SUV but given the rise of gas I could not justify a ICE SUV, sadly for me Acura stated that they will not bring back the MDX hybrid so I purchased the RX350h Luxury (Canada version) in late June. No regrets, love the RX, but seems Acura has missed the boat on hybrids. Cheers
As stated before on here, I had a 17 MDX hybrid. Looked at the RX. Nice car. I checked this forum. The nonsense on here, one key, jacked up prices, months of waiting, ending up with options you don’t want because that’s all they have available. I went with the Audi Q5 PHEV. Great car so far.
Old 09-05-23, 04:15 PM
Kottom
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CCGS
you don't expect any issues with snow driving on 350h? SH-AWD superior on snow. Not sure that I would go through pass in the winter on 350h. Never had such issues with MDX
Old 09-06-23, 10:02 AM
Gr8one
7th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Funson
Test drove both 2023 Rx350 and MDX, MDX wins in more ways than one and the s at a similar price point. Am curious what made you buy Rx350?
looking to understand some reasoning to help make a decision
Tried both and for me no comparison, i couldn't believe how loud MDX (road & tire noise etc.) was comparing to RX350. Engine was nice on MDX and everything else RX won in my opinion.
That is why i have this

Old 09-06-23, 10:24 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 591 Likes on 406 Posts

Now that the TX has been released, I would think people would cross shop that against the MDX. Cross shopping the RX made sense last February when this thread started. The RDX makes more sense to shop against the RX now IMHO.

Last edited by Urlik; 09-06-23 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-06-23, 10:47 AM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Funson
Test drove both 2023 Rx350 and MDX, MDX wins in more ways than one and the s at a similar price point. Am curious what made you buy Rx350?
looking to understand some reasoning to help make a decision
I cross-shopped the MDX and RX (among others) and ultimately purchased a RX500h. The MDX powertrain was nice, and SH-AWD is good. I found fit-and-finish issues with every single MDX on the lot, however, and that scared me. Also the fuel economy is plain bad. I didn't care about the third row, so that wasn't much of a consideration. The additional cargo space of the MDX would be nice, but the RX is easier to park and the turning circle felt much tighter. I wish the RX had a full screen for the gauge cluster, but even though Acura does, they aren't really taking advantage of it -- can't even put a map there. And the rest of the infotainment system is so much better in the RX.

I've owned a 2017 MDX in the past, and I found reliability to be not great, so that was another turn off.

All around, I thought the RX was an EASY choice over the MDX.

I did also look at an RDX and I actually considered that a more compelling offering. It's a bit small, but the price is also much less compared to the RX. The nail in the coffin against the RDX was the subpar infotainment and the absolutely awful transmission. I simply couldn't get past how violently bad the 1-2 shift was every single time I set off from a stop. And the fuel economy... Woof.

RX for the win!
Old 09-06-23, 12:26 PM
CCGS
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Kottom
you don't expect any issues with snow driving on 350h? SH-AWD superior on snow. Not sure that I would go through pass in the winter on 350h. Never had such issues with MDX
For me it has always been about having good rubber in combo with AWD, I have for many years I have run quality mud and snow on my 4X4 and SUVs (Bronco 2, Explorer, Escape, Outlander, CRV, MDX) the MDX as you have pointed out has the SH-AWD which worked great for me as well.
My RX 350h surprisingly came Goodyear mud and snow, not sure how they actually rate but will find out this winter I guess. The economy of the hybrid factored heavily in my purchase. Cheers
Old 09-06-23, 12:26 PM
Namtrac
7th Gear

I just moved from a 2106 MDX to a RX500h. I cross shopped the new MDX as well as other cars and went with the RX. I couldn't be happier with the decision. I didn't even bother test driving the new MDX. As soon as I test drove the RX it was just in a different league compared to my old MDX (transmission was lackluster and ride was always stiff). Also the infotainment setup of the new MDX turned me off (no touchscreen was a big concern for me).

Last edited by Namtrac; 09-06-23 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-06-23, 12:29 PM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Namtrac
I just moved from a 2106 MDX to a RX500h. I cross shopped the new MDX as well as other cars and went with the RX. I couldn't be happier with the decision. I didn't even bother test driving the new MDX. As soon as I test drove the RX it was just in a different league compared to my old MDX (10speed transmission was lackluster and ride was always stiff). Also the infotainment setup of the new MDX turned me off (no touchscreen was a big concern for me).
The 2016 MDX had a ZF-9HP48 transmission. Only 9 gears. AFAIK, no MDX has ever had a 10 speed transmission. The RDX offers a 10 speed, though.
Old 09-06-23, 01:26 PM
Namtrac
7th Gear

Thanks for the correction. Even with 9 speeds it sucked especially at low speeds and going down hills.
Old 09-10-23, 04:10 PM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 273 Likes on 167 Posts

Drive an MDX when it's super hot out. The A/C is awful. If you live in a hot humid climate you will regret it; you will feel sticky all the time. I had a 2023 and got rid of it after 7k miles. Took it to the dealer multiple times and they said it was within spec and due to the type of refrigerant that they use. Seems to me that they cut corners and undersized the AC condenser; likely due to the pano roof and a ton of heat that comes in. I even had it ceramic tinted, but the AC could not keep up. If it wasn't for the AC the car would be a solid 9.0 out of 10.
FMY421 (09-11-23)
Old 10-04-23, 08:17 PM
fulminata
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '22 MDX Advance ride quality is not great

Hi everyone! I am new here, trying to get some info and hear feedback from the members here concerning their '23 RX's. I recently bought a '22 MDX Advance and while it seemed fine during the test drive, I've grown to dislike it more and moret based on the ride quality mainly. It's not a bad car. it has some big pluses: handing is fantastic, the V6 is great (fuel economy sucks), transmission is buttery smooth, steering is great. But the ride is just killing me. The MDX has basically 2 different personas in it, 1) is low speed driving, the suspension makes you feel *every* single crack, bump, or object in the road. Any raised areas of pavement or undulations cause head-tossing if going very slow over them. 2) high speed driving is better, the suspension soaks up undulations nicely, stays settled, and while the ride still is a bit stiff, it feels oddly more compliant on the highway. I've just found that I am not happy overall with the ride on a $66,000 vehicle.

So my question for everyone is, could you provide your feedback on the ride quality of the RX350/350h and RX500h? I'd like to know how it handles not-so-smooth city/country roads at speeds less than 45 MPH, and how highway driving comfort is over expansion joints/undulations/dips?

Between the above, I would prefer the 500h, and while reviewers on YouTube say the adaptive suspension is "taut" or "sporty" without being uncomfortable, I'd like to know if that is actually the case in non-sport mode. I'd be fine with the 350h, just the power being a little lacking is only of my only concerns, plus the lack of rear-wheel steer. How does that suspension compare to other vehicles or how would you describe it?

Thanks so much everyone for your help, super excited to be here!

Quick Reply: Trying to decide between RX350 vs MDX