RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Trying to decide between RX350 vs MDX

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-23, 05:19 AM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 271 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by fulminata
Hi everyone! I am new here, trying to get some info and hear feedback from the members here concerning their '23 RX's. I recently bought a '22 MDX Advance and while it seemed fine during the test drive, I've grown to dislike it more and moret based on the ride quality mainly. It's not a bad car. it has some big pluses: handing is fantastic, the V6 is great (fuel economy sucks), transmission is buttery smooth, steering is great. But the ride is just killing me. The MDX has basically 2 different personas in it, 1) is low speed driving, the suspension makes you feel *every* single crack, bump, or object in the road. Any raised areas of pavement or undulations cause head-tossing if going very slow over them. 2) high speed driving is better, the suspension soaks up undulations nicely, stays settled, and while the ride still is a bit stiff, it feels oddly more compliant on the highway. I've just found that I am not happy overall with the ride on a $66,000 vehicle.

So my question for everyone is, could you provide your feedback on the ride quality of the RX350/350h and RX500h? I'd like to know how it handles not-so-smooth city/country roads at speeds less than 45 MPH, and how highway driving comfort is over expansion joints/undulations/dips?

Between the above, I would prefer the 500h, and while reviewers on YouTube say the adaptive suspension is "taut" or "sporty" without being uncomfortable, I'd like to know if that is actually the case in non-sport mode. I'd be fine with the 350h, just the power being a little lacking is only of my only concerns, plus the lack of rear-wheel steer. How does that suspension compare to other vehicles or how would you describe it?

Thanks so much everyone for your help, super excited to be here!
I came from a 2023 MDX to a 500h. We put 8k miles on it before trading. In the RX500, I will say that adaptive suspension is floaty like the RX has been in the past. If you adjust it then it'll tighten up. It's still very luxury focused vs sport in normal mode. Overall I'm very impressed with the ride and quiteness. It's pleasant on both crappy roads and interstate. I really liked the size of the MDX, but was very disappointed in the fit/finish of the car. The seats were wrinkled day 1, gaps in the hood were horrible (you could see the blue cap for the washer fluid while the hood was closed), road noise was terrible due to cheap fabric liners in the fenders, and the AC is just plain awful. I really wanted to like the MDX. The size and technology is great. Sound system was awesome. For the price point of an Advance I think it's not worth it. Truly let down with the MDX, but happy with our Lexus. We've owned many Lexus, Honda, Acura over the years. Lexus nailed it with the 500h.
The following 2 users liked this post by jsch222:
FMY421 (10-06-23), fulminata (10-05-23)
Old 10-05-23, 06:17 AM
fulminata
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jsch222
I came from a 2023 MDX to a 500h. We put 8k miles on it before trading. In the RX500, I will say that adaptive suspension is floaty like the RX has been in the past. If you adjust it then it'll tighten up. It's still very luxury focused vs sport in normal mode. Overall I'm very impressed with the ride and quiteness. It's pleasant on both crappy roads and interstate. I really liked the size of the MDX, but was very disappointed in the fit/finish of the car. The seats were wrinkled day 1, gaps in the hood were horrible (you could see the blue cap for the washer fluid while the hood was closed), road noise was terrible due to cheap fabric liners in the fenders, and the AC is just plain awful. I really wanted to like the MDX. The size and technology is great. Sound system was awesome. For the price point of an Advance I think it's not worth it. Truly let down with the MDX, but happy with our Lexus. We've owned many Lexus, Honda, Acura over the years. Lexus nailed it with the 500h.
Hey jsch222, thanks for your reply. How does the non-sport setting handle little bumps? I live in the south and the cracks in the road have a slight rise to them which creates a washboard effect, which the MDX does not like, you feel every one straight through the suspension and into the seat bottom. Would you say the 500h irons those out better than the MDX?

Also, how is the F-sport driver's seat? I've heard some complaints that it's a little hard and can be uncomfortable in long distance driving. Have you roadtripped yet in your 500h? Thanks again!
Old 10-05-23, 07:04 AM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 271 Likes on 166 Posts

@fulminata The RX500 is much smoother on "broken" pavement. I live off some country roads that have washboarding and are usually oil/rocked once a year. No complaints and it absorbs bumps better. St. Louis highways are horrible.....it handles them really well. We test drove the RX for an entire weekend before we purchased to go through the questions you have.

The Front seats are narrower and stiffer than the luxury model rx. We do not have any complaints with them. I will say we are average size people - I'm 5'10 and my wife is 5'2, both slimmer builds. If you are a heavier person I'd spend some more time in the seat. With the bolstering I could see them being uncomfortable for some.
Old 10-06-23, 03:31 PM
tolson37
10th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

For me it came down to a few critical things for picking the RX over the MDX.

1. Better Gas Mileage - but turbo when you need it in higher elevation.
2. Better Looking
3. 14" Touch Screen, no touch pad crap
4. Empty Nester
5. Very Quiet
The following 2 users liked this post by tolson37:
Freds430 (10-06-23), Klamalama (10-21-23)
Old 10-06-23, 06:49 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,110 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by tolson37
For me it came down to a few critical things for picking the RX over the MDX.

1. Better Gas Mileage - but turbo when you need it in higher elevation.
2. Better Looking
3. 14" Touch Screen, no touch pad crap
4. Empty Nester
5. Very Quiet
Acura MDX 21 mpg versus 36 for the RX 350h. Much better dependability.. The 2023 J D Power Dependability study has Lexus #1 and Acura #21. The RX was the most dependable vehicle of all those surveyed by their owners.

Last edited by Freds430; 10-06-23 at 06:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CCGS (10-07-23)
Old 10-08-23, 05:34 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
Acura MDX 21 mpg versus 36 for the RX 350h. Much better dependability.. The 2023 J D Power Dependability study has Lexus #1 and Acura #21. The RX was the most dependable vehicle of all those surveyed by their owners.
The 500h early on does not fit the dependability model of Lexus.
E46CT (12-20-23)
Old 10-08-23, 06:34 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I currently have the 2020 MDX Hybrid and recently sold my RX hybrid. I have also driven the new 2022 MDX and am considering the 2023/2024 RX PHEV if I can get a test on that thing. The updated MDX from 2021 are much nicer than the last generation MDX.

I had a longer driving time with MDX. So there is much to describe the MDX than the RX. No particular order:

1. dash display - Acura is better. resolution is great and the screen size is good.
1.5 GUI - terrible on MDX. You have to use this "track pad." Didn't we move away from these on personal computers like 15 years ago. Some smart guy at Honda thought to bring it back. thankfully RX moved away from that.
2. back up camera - same
3. ICE engine - MDX has no low end torque. mid range pull is excellent on both engines. can't really blame Honda as this is the company's trait going back 20 years. They want you to rev it a bit. MDX makes more noise. RX makes less engine noise but the noise it makes isn't like the silky smooth inline 6 of a BMW either. You choose.
5. low speed handling - very good on both models. MDX understeers less.
6. high speed handling - MdX handles better. tracks very true. stable and taut. quite fun to drive.
7. low speed ride - I feel every single bump on both models. blaming the low profile tires on both models. (this is only true in Los Angeles county where politicians fight over which crony contractor will do the job of repairing roads until the matching funds from Federal/State have to be returned. In other locales this would be a moot point)
8. High speed ride - RX's have a noticeable rebound on the shocks unless you are in Sport mode. MDXs have better controlled rebound. Not much second order vibration after hitting bumps on the road. nicely done.
9. noise - MDXs, even though brand new, makes suspension noises not acceptable of a luxury car. RX still make some noise but tolerable. Road noise is louder on MDX.
10. Seats and driving position - MDX seats are good. the bottom cushion could use a little more, uhhh cushion, but good and supportive. Nice thigh support without raising the knee angle too much. MDX's also have higher adjustment range. Backseats are also nicer and more supportive on the MDX's but headroom is somewhat curtailed in the backseats on the MDX (sort of same for RX) Not an issue for people under 6 feet though.
11. Pano sunroof - I avoid these in hot California sun. I think all higher optioned MDX's come with it. A deal breaker for me.
12. Paint job - they both suck.
13. body panel fit and finish - noticeably better on RX, hands down.
14. Safety systems - I can turn them off more easily on the MDX. great!
15. Transmission - MDX's starts on first and jumps to 3000 rpm on mild throttle. Trying to give me some excitement when I have enough excitement already in my life. Very teenagerish.... Smooth throttle engagement, it's not. However, the transmission is smooth from 2nd gear on. RX hybrid's PSD (power split device) is night and day better.
16. traction - MDX SHAWD kicks butt in twisty roads. RX is, well, mostly front wheel drive with some rear electric motor action.
17. MPG - on the MDX, I got 19.4 in mixed driving with no intention of saving gas. Nothing you can do. It's a larger car. But regular RX hybrid is painfully slow.
18. Wind noise - just a little better on the MDX's. But if you sit closer to the windows in the back seat there is good amount of wind noise. The fronts do benefit from acoustic laminated glasses, however. RX has wind noise only because that's the only noise you here.
19. Seats. the better optioned MDX only comes with 6 seats. RX comes with 5 seats.
20. Leather: Lexus leather cracks after 4 to 5 years. I had the 2001 RX and 2013 RX. I know. But Lexus leather is smoother to touch than the crappy leather MDX uses. not sure which is better....longevity and robustness?
21: CMBS: MDX now has a more sensitive setting called "low speed collision mitigation system." It stopped super hard in front of my office garage gate before I even got to the key card tab. I almost got hit by a dude behind me. This was a tricky situation because there is an additional shutter that comes down when existing my garage after certain hours. Why the steel shutters make the CMBS more sensitive is a mystery. Clearly, this blows. RX is just OK. But I didn't see any false negatives. my driving time was short however.
22. ACC works OK on both cars. it keeps the speed at +/- 1mph from preset speed.
23. Stereo: MDX's ELS Studio system is definitely better than stock RX stystem. didn't get a chance to listen to Mark Levinson system.

Conclusion: MDX has NVH issues that still doesn't approach that of an RX. If you don't live in a place where roads resemble Ukraine after Russian bombing, it should be OK to deal with. RX's are more reliable for sure. But the RX service writers wait faithfully for that one day when you do have a minor issue to justify their W-2 to their greedy dealership bosses and makes sure to make a substantially negative impression in your brain ( so much so that two dealers around my area has BBB rating F and D- respectively) The difference in dealer maintenance cost is substantial. Service A for MDX runs around $160. The same service at Lexus is $299.

Last edited by MellonC00; 10-08-23 at 06:38 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by MellonC00:
CCGS (10-09-23), Eingraham (10-08-23), gnegnf (12-20-23)
Old 10-20-23, 04:20 PM
fgina
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

so how many here are going to MDX?

Last edited by fgina; 10-20-23 at 08:13 PM.
RDLGX (10-21-23)
Old 12-20-23, 06:58 AM
Njcrash
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yeah but.....

Originally Posted by Elvisfan
we have a last gen MDX 2017 hybrid. Trouble free for 5.5 years. If the new generation had a hybrid, we would have it now. My wife likes how big it it. We have looked at the RX. Sat in it. It’s smaller and the rear seat doesn’t fold flat. So much less space. We would only be interested in the 350H. Don’t know about the 4 cyl and the CVT. The console infringed on my wife’s space. Also, CR really hated the HUD and the unmarked steering wheel buttons. The 360 camera is a must. Yes, it’s a stand alone option but, since you can’t order one, you have to hope the one they have has it. Also, just because you can make the inside door handle electronic, why? Also, the rear seats don’t adjust or recline.

I feel a bit qualified to chime in as I've owned a 2020 Lexus RX350L and a 2022 Lexus RX350 and now I own a 202 Acura MDX. Like everything there are pros and cons to each. But, I miss my Lexus and wish I still had a Lexus RX350L. Yes the MDX I have is loaded with features and more spa ious than my RX350s, but to be honest, Lexus does everything well while Acura does things ok. The feel of the Lexus is more luxurious, the infotainment center is way better and much more intuitive, the cameras used are better, its much more quiet while you're driving, etc. The Acura MDX is nice, and I love the expansive glass roof and I appreciate the size, and some features that weren't available on my Lexus, but I wish I would have bought another Lexus after totaling the one I had by hitting a deer on the highway at night. I say strong advantage goes to Lexus, unless all you care about is size and moderate luxury.
Old 12-20-23, 07:10 AM
Elvisfan
Pit Crew

Received 81 Likes on 53 Posts

We ended up with the Audi Q5e PHEV. It’s smaller than the MDX but you could actually get one. And it came with 2 keys.
Old 12-20-23, 09:29 AM
TheTourVan
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Njcrash
I feel a bit qualified to chime in as I've owned a 2020 Lexus RX350L and a 2022 Lexus RX350 and now I own a 202 Acura MDX. Like everything there are pros and cons to each. But, I miss my Lexus and wish I still had a Lexus RX350L. Yes the MDX I have is loaded with features and more spa ious than my RX350s, but to be honest, Lexus does everything well while Acura does things ok. The feel of the Lexus is more luxurious, the infotainment center is way better and much more intuitive, the cameras used are better, its much more quiet while you're driving, etc. The Acura MDX is nice, and I love the expansive glass roof and I appreciate the size, and some features that weren't available on my Lexus, but I wish I would have bought another Lexus after totaling the one I had by hitting a deer on the highway at night. I say strong advantage goes to Lexus, unless all you care about is size and moderate luxury.
We test drove both when we grabbed our RX last week. I liked the MDX, but you summed it up well here. Outside of size, I couldn’t find anything “better” on the MDx and just didn’t love the overall look of the infotainment area. It looked more generic than Luxury and while it is a great vehicle, confident we made the right choice
Old 12-20-23, 12:45 PM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 204 Likes on 140 Posts

In the latest issue of Consumer Reports, they did their review of Most and Least Reliable Cars. This is not to be confused with their more thorough car issue which comes out in April, and I look forward to seeing the specific data they have on the 2023 RX.

In this current issue, they issue reliability predictions for 2024 models. In the Luxury midsized SUV category, the BMW X5 came in first at an 82 rating, the RX hybrid and base RX came in next at 69 and 68, both get a green rating which is good.
MDX is in the luxury midsize/3 row/large category with a mediocre (yellow) rating of 51. Again, all cars will be assessed by year and for 15 or so categories (engine, fit and finish, suspension, etc) in the April issue.

One other interesting thing: the best brand overall (all models combined) is Lexus at 79, followed by Toyota, Mini, Acura and Honda. Here's the surprising point (to me anyway): Mercedes came in second from last with a dismal rating of 23. Only Chrysler is lower...BMW was ninth, Audi 19th, Volvo 25th (not surprising to me, a former Volvo owner).
CCGS (12-20-23)
Old 12-20-23, 02:44 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,110 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by budwom
In the latest issue of Consumer Reports, they did their review of Most and Least Reliable Cars. This is not to be confused with their more thorough car issue which comes out in April, and I look forward to seeing the specific data they have on the 2023 RX.

In this current issue, they issue reliability predictions for 2024 models. In the Luxury midsized SUV category, the BMW X5 came in first at an 82 rating, the RX hybrid and base RX came in next at 69 and 68, both get a green rating which is good.
MDX is in the luxury midsize/3 row/large category with a mediocre (yellow) rating of 51. Again, all cars will be assessed by year and for 15 or so categories (engine, fit and finish, suspension, etc) in the April issue.

One other interesting thing: the best brand overall (all models combined) is Lexus at 79, followed by Toyota, Mini, Acura and Honda. Here's the surprising point (to me anyway): Mercedes came in second from last with a dismal rating of 23. Only Chrysler is lower...BMW was ninth, Audi 19th, Volvo 25th (not surprising to me, a former Volvo owner).
J D Power has Lexus #1 on dependability in their 2023 owners survey and Acura #21. It is not about being #1 for a year or two but consistently. Lexus has been #1 in 22 out of their 27 years of surveying owners of vehicles.
CCGS (12-20-23)
Old 12-21-23, 04:48 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 204 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
J D Power has Lexus #1 on dependability in their 2023 owners survey and Acura #21. It is not about being #1 for a year or two but consistently. Lexus has been #1 in 22 out of their 27 years of surveying owners of vehicles.
Ya, that's why we have two of them. The 2013 (fingers crossed) has yet to have one single repair, and the maintenance costs are very very reasonable.
CCGS (12-21-23)
Old 12-25-23, 07:37 AM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Received 318 Likes on 182 Posts

I briefly discussed a comparison between the 2024 RX350 and the Acura MDX. Check out the review below: