RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Trying to decide between RX350 vs MDX

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-23, 08:02 PM
Funson
2nd gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Trying to decide between RX350 vs MDX

Test drove both 2023 Rx350 and MDX, MDX wins in more ways than one and the s at a similar price point. Am curious what made you buy Rx350?
looking to understand some reasoning to help make a decision
The following 2 users liked this post by Funson:
FMY421 (02-19-23), neilsarkar (03-13-23)
Old 02-18-23, 08:19 PM
Flyingp
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

MDX is a good pick within the price range. However, there are 2 cons turned us away from it.
1. the mpg is 19-22-26 vs 22-25-29 in gas version.
2. in order to get 360 camera, you have to get up to Advanced trim on MDX for msrp over $62k. On the other hand, it is just an (not so expensive) option which can be added in regular trim of RX.

Hope it can help for you.
The following users liked this post:
EBone (09-20-23)
Old 02-18-23, 08:24 PM
Edison_Chen
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

We’re interested in the 350h. The 350h takes regular fuel and also has wayyy better gas mileage. We don’t need the performance or sporty ride of the MDX.

The Lexus also feels more premium.
Old 02-18-23, 09:21 PM
JacobsDad
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Working at a Toyota dealership.....from time to time, we have vehicle owners bring in their Lexus vehicles to fulfil their Lexus contracted maintenance agreements. We don't warranty repair Lexus, but we perform agreed Lexus maintenance services. We do this because the nearest Lexus dealership is 100 miles away and for owners convenience Toyota corp allows this.

We keep a 2022 Acura MDX on the premises. It's a beautiful vehicle in every aspect. It's fully loaded with all options. This is a loaner vehicle provided to RX owners when they have their RX brought in for maintenance. Only one time have I overheard an RX owner question their decision to purchase the Toyota product rather than the Honda product.

I'm not sure.....maybe it's Lexus reliability or maybe it's Lexus owners familiarity with their vehicles which cause them to prefer the Lexus over the Acura...... But I do know this: Toyota is producing and has been producing the most reliable vehicles with the most auxiliary options than any other vehicle manufacturer for atleast 15 years.

Dollar-wise....yeah, Honda can cut the price on their Acura's because they have other streams of income. They make motorcycles, they make generators. They make lawn mowers and other landscaping equipment. You got a boat????? Yeah, Honda has something for that too.......at Toyota, we only make cars🤷

Point being.......just because you can save a few bucks buying an Acura outfitted with similar RX specs for less money doesn't mean you should do it....... Unless you're just renting or leasing the vehicle then yeah by all means go get the cheaper priced car. But if you're going to own the vehicle for its entire life get the Toyota product not the Honda.
The following 5 users liked this post by JacobsDad:
dklanecky1 (02-19-23), FMY421 (05-03-23), Freds430 (02-19-23), JRey350hou (02-19-23), RDLGX (02-19-23)
Old 02-18-23, 10:13 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 277 Likes on 198 Posts

Yes, it is (was) a Toyota! The Lexus engine was so smooth, but the boat just never caught on. Even the V-drive (wakeboard) version was not a great seller. Boats were super well made though.
Old 02-19-23, 04:40 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Funson
Test drove both 2023 Rx350 and MDX, MDX wins in more ways than one and the s at a similar price point. Am curious what made you buy Rx350?
looking to understand some reasoning to help make a decision
If you go to MDX reviews, you will find many folks unhappy with their MDX. They have problems with infotainment, which they have had for a long time, not just with the MDX. If you look at reliability with Honda the past few years, you will see that they have not been near that of Toyota . You will also have a lot more resale value with a Toyota product.
Old 02-19-23, 05:00 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,118 Likes on 725 Posts

At a similar price point as you state there must be many reasons why in 2022 and every year prior the RX has sold almost twice as many units as the MDX. In 2022 this is a 4th generation model that has basically been out since 2016 versus a brand new redo in 2022 for the MDX. The RX is the best selling luxury SUV in units last year with the X3 #2 selling 35% less vehicles.

J D Power ranks Lexus for 2023 again #1 in dependability. Lexus has been #1 22 out of the last 27 years. The RX again is the most dependable premium midsize SUV. It gets better than that because they state the RX is the most reliable of all vehicles for their 2023 survey. Acura is 21 in the study. Lexus is lowest in maintenance cost among the luxury vehicles and lowest in depreciation and second highest among sales satisfaction only behind Porsche. Service department satisfaction they are #1. Brand loyalty in the luxury SUV category Lexus is #2 behind BMW. The WSJ states Toyota is the most respected auto manufacturer.

Now this is my opinion. The MDX is a nice vehicle especially if you need the room. With the third seat down the cargo space is huge. A good friend had a 2017 RX and bought a 2022 MDX only because of the room issue, five grandkids and three dogs. After 1 1/2 years with the MDX and again comparing it to a five year older SUV and a different generation then the 2023 RX she misses her RX. I have had nine Acura's and thought I would stay with them forever. They were pretty reliable. About 10-12 years ago something happened at Honda/Acura. They always use to be in the top five with Acura and Toyota for dependabilty. My last Acura a 2012 RL started getting problem after problem. Came over to Lexus ten years ago for both our vehicles. On our sixth Lexus each sold with around 100,000 miles and never had one back for anything other than routine maintenance. The fourth generation RX and MDX were about even in looks both exterior and interior. The fifth generation RX again comparing Lexus's new remodel to Acura's remodel the RX blows it away in looks. I would only buy a hybrid and 36 mpg for a SUV the size of a RX is impressive. The MDX overall mpg is 21. With today's gasoline prices and what tomorrows prices will be no way would I buy a vehicle with a 21 mpg rating.

Last edited by Freds430; 02-19-23 at 05:53 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Freds430:
FMY421 (05-03-23), hugsmindy (02-19-23), RDLGX (02-19-23)
Old 02-19-23, 06:40 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 208 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Owner satisfaction

Yes, I’ve seen owner satisfaction surveys in which Acura owners are not thrilled with their vehicles. And as someone noted Honda is having more reliability issues than they once did including gasoline getting into the engine oil. For me the overwhelming factor in getting the RX is reliability.
Having said that I admit I am a bit twitchy about buying a car in its first year of production. I’m choosing to trust Lexus. We’ll see how it goes
Old 02-19-23, 07:52 AM
Funson
2nd gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you for all the feedback, i will continue to source feedback as it comes in.

Just my thoughts:
2023 Rx350 was surprisingly peppy and enough oomph for me, compared to 2022 Rx is definitely a better ride and has better driver feedback. Looks wise its a major improvement and looks classy than MDX, wouldn't have ever consider buying the 22 Rx based on how it looked. IMO interior layout of Rx is much better than MDX. Only beef i really have is the interior space, which i hope Lexus takes some feedback from customers and improves in that aspect. Was surprised to find it less spacious than Rav4 esp the second row headroom!
Might miss the larger towing capacity rating of MDX, including a bit more roominess. Can't comment on reliability as i have never owned a honda before but will look over in MDX forums
Old 02-19-23, 08:09 AM
R9000
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I had the same dilemma an you and looked very seriously at the MDX. I drove the vehicle several times, however at the end the gas mileage and the brand new look of the 350h won me over and I placed an order. I also didn't like the fact that I had to get the high-end MDX to get the features that I wanted on my hybrid especially the 360 camera.
Old 02-19-23, 08:28 AM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

I did not even consider MDX simply because I don't like being forced to have 3rd row seats in a small SUV. Takes too much room. I would never put my kids back there, it just seems unsafe to me from a rear crash perspective.

If I need more room, I would be driving a Tahoe/Suburban.
The following 2 users liked this post by chuckNX:
NJgirl18 (03-11-23), Urlik (03-16-23)
Old 02-19-23, 08:46 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 390 Likes on 265 Posts

It's all about needing the 3rd row. If you need a 7 seater, then get the MDX.
neilsarkar (03-17-23)
Old 02-19-23, 10:24 AM
IntrinoX
Instructor

Received 561 Likes on 329 Posts

My father's 2005 MDX just gave out on him this year at 260k miles.. might want to put that in perspective!
neilsarkar (03-17-23)
Old 02-19-23, 10:46 AM
hugsmindy
Driver

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Personally, I looked at the MDX, but didn’t seriously consider it for a few reasons:
  1. Overall look of the vehicle inside and out is not even close to how great the RX looks, IMHO.
  2. Durability long term is much better in the Lexus
  3. Customer reviews are much higher with the Lexus
  4. Gas mileage in the Lexus, particularly since I went with the RX350h
There was nothing the MDX offered that I found was better than the RX personally. My boss has the MDX and I think he is sorry he didn’t go with the RX.

It’s totally personal preference, these are just my reasons.
Old 02-19-23, 10:48 AM
hugsmindy
Driver

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
It's all about needing the 3rd row. If you need a 7 seater, then get the MDX.
But is it REALLY even a third row….. maybe for someone who is less than 5ft 3in? It’s super small and impractical, IMHO.

Quick Reply: Trying to decide between RX350 vs MDX