RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

New RX350h with questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-23 | 07:45 AM
krafty81
Pit Crew

Default New RX350h with questions

Got my new RX350h three days ago. Luxury pearl white with light interior. Love the way the car drives, great interior. The HUD is awesome and all the automatic drive features pair nicely with the cruise control. Tech is great with the car - responsive and solid. I was worried about the steering wheel multifunction switches but I got used to them after a couple trips and they are very intuitive now. My wife likes the power folding rear seats. I got lucky getting one that someone else had "ordered" but the dealer could not reach him for over two weeks so they offered it to me. I did only get one fob which was kind of frustrating but understand another will come. A couple questions -

1. I checked both the car manual and the multimedia guide and cannot see how to get to the screen which shows the four tire pressures. When I select "tires" under the car icon, it shows me ways to set the tire pressure parameters but not the actual pressures on the tires.

2. I switch between android auto and the Lexus screens. When in Lexus nav mode, how do I get split screen with music selected? The Lexus nav takes up the whole screen.

3. Unless I have the fob in my pocket, the button to close the rear tailgate does not work (either one). Seems strange.

4. When I press the talk button and say "Call XXXX" it says it cannot do that. I have to long press to get to android auto. Seems odd.

Overall, love the new ride!
Old 02-20-23 | 08:05 AM
trfnj74
10th Gear

Originally Posted by krafty81
Got my new RX350h three days ago. Luxury pearl white with light interior. Love the way the car drives, great interior. The HUD is awesome and all the automatic drive features pair nicely with the cruise control. Tech is great with the car - responsive and solid. I was worried about the steering wheel multifunction switches but I got used to them after a couple trips and they are very intuitive now. My wife likes the power folding rear seats. I got lucky getting one that someone else had "ordered" but the dealer could not reach him for over two weeks so they offered it to me. I did only get one fob which was kind of frustrating but understand another will come. A couple questions -

1. I checked both the car manual and the multimedia guide and cannot see how to get to the screen which shows the four tire pressures. When I select "tires" under the car icon, it shows me ways to set the tire pressure parameters but not the actual pressures on the tires.

2. I switch between android auto and the Lexus screens. When in Lexus nav mode, how do I get split screen with music selected? The Lexus nav takes up the whole screen.

3. Unless I have the fob in my pocket, the button to close the rear tailgate does not work (either one). Seems strange.

4. When I press the talk button and say "Call XXXX" it says it cannot do that. I have to long press to get to android auto. Seems odd.

Overall, love the new ride!
The only one I can answer now is #4 - I can't speak for android auto but when I have apple car play enabled I have to use "Hey Siri" call "name" to make a phone. If I turn off apple car play and my phone is connected the talk button (for phone calls) and "hey Lexus call" both work fine.

I can check my car later tonight for your other questions...
Old 02-20-23 | 09:45 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

No split screen, that was one of the big criticisms of the Lexus infotainment software. They really need a software update to improve that. Actually that brings up another question - does this car have over-the-air updates, or customer self-flash through a USB stick? Or do all software updates have to be done through the dealer?
The following users liked this post:
PeteInGilr (02-20-23)
Old 02-20-23 | 11:20 AM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

To see if updates are available for your vehicle, select ‘Settings’ (gear icon), then ‘Software update’ on your multimedia display, also check if a ‘Vehicle software update available’ card is present within your Lexus App. https://support.lexus.com/s/article/...ftware-U-10867
Old 02-20-23 | 11:26 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Guest was just in with Android Auto and the phone just had a recent OS update...
The Google map was full screen through AA before and now has a split screen and
there does not seem to be anyway to command the full screen map anymore. Older
fellow and needs the size to read street names. Any Android Auto users have hints?
Old 02-20-23 | 11:32 AM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

I was mucking about with Android auto on another car, and the only way I could find to force full screen is to go into developer mode and force the screen to 1280 x 720. That at least gives a sort of full-screen, otherwise it is something Lexus would have to change.
Old 02-20-23 | 01:59 PM
krafty81
Pit Crew

Thanks all. Still can't find tire pressures!
Old 02-20-23 | 02:01 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

On number 3: I just double checked, and my RX will close the hatch, using the left button, EVEN WITH NO FOB NEARBY. It does not, however, lock the car. The "close and lock" button on the right only beeps but doesn't do anything without a FOB. And there's an issue with the Digital Key, if you have that, regarding "close and lock". Some, including me, are reporting that close and lock doesn't work with the Digital Key (yet...perhaps a software update will fix that. I'm hoping). I'd encourage you to try the close (left) button again without your FOB. It should close.

Last edited by daryll40; 02-20-23 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-20-23 | 02:03 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Thanks all. Still can't find tire pressures!
Page 485 of the manual.
Old 02-20-23 | 02:31 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Eagleboy99
Page 485 of the manual.
The manual is VERY unclear about tire pressure monitoring. The stuff about initializing tire pressure, etc. is over my head and confusing because it's not the screen to view current tire pressure, as you would think. It's something to do with rotating and/or changing tires. I'm sure I'll figure that out when the time comes. But you want what I want...just show me the tire pressure now! Here's how:

Go to the main screen. Touch the CAR icon. Go to TIRE PRESSURE. There it is. I leave mine on that screen as the default, and toggle out of AppleCarPlay to see tire pressures. Unfortunately, there's no way to get the tire pressures on the speedometer screen or on the Heads Up Display like in the 4th generation RX. You could toggle to tire pressure from the steering wheel control, but on on this new RX. At least not yet. Hopefully, for people like you and I who are somewhat focused on tire pressure, this will become a software update thing. But leaving that tire pressure sub-screen as the default for the big screen makes it pretty easy.

Last edited by daryll40; 02-20-23 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-20-23 | 03:10 PM
krafty81
Pit Crew

Found it thanks. Manual no help. Door sill says 33 PSI. Dealer filled tires to between 33 PSI and 40.
Old 02-20-23 | 03:17 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Found it thanks. Manual no help. Door sill says 33 PSI. Dealer filled tires to between 33 PSI and 40.

33 on all four is the door sill number. I set mine, in the winter, with the car "overnight cold", in the 60 degree garage, to 34lbs since it will be colder when I pull outside. And to 32lbs in the summer, since it will be warmer outside the garage.
Old 02-20-23 | 06:52 PM
krafty81
Pit Crew

Two things I have gotten used to that the Lexus does not seem to have. Not complaining but maybe in a future update.
- Walk away locking (selectable)
- HOLD button for brakes that does not need to be reset every time you drive.
- Tile screen so you could show music and map at the same time in the Lexus.

One more question...manual.says to set home address for the nav in the app. Can't find that in the app. Set home address is grayed out and not selectable in the car.

Last edited by krafty81; 02-20-23 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-21-23 | 04:23 AM
hugsmindy
Driver

I'm hoping for the split screen while in Nav in a future software update. Does seem crazy to have such a large screen and not be able to do this, esp when previous navigation models did allow for this.

I personally think it's a good idea for the Hold button to reset. But perhaps this could be a personalized feature.

Old 02-21-23 | 01:29 PM
krafty81
Pit Crew

Can't find tire pressure on the app. Nor can I find how to set my home or work address.

Quick Reply: New RX350h with questions