RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Does any one get a key card?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-24, 06:58 PM
Mamberly
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Final Update:

It worked! I was able to get a local locksmith to program a Smart Access Card Key for my '24 500h.
My $250 gamble worked

I used Smart Access Card Key 8990h-78491 (HYQ14CBP).

The following 6 users liked this post by Mamberly:
2023RX350PP (03-10-24), balabababa (03-10-24), Carbuff2 (03-11-24), CommodoreAmiga (03-11-24), StefanoS (03-11-24), Urlik (03-11-24) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-11-24, 09:45 AM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Mamberly
Final Update:
It worked! I was able to get a local locksmith to program a Smart Access Card Key for my '24 500h.
My $250 gamble worked

Can you post a picture and measurement of the side profile of the key? I'm curious how thick it is?

I assume using a RFID-blocking wallet would nullify the use of this key?
Old 03-11-24, 09:48 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Received 203 Likes on 132 Posts

Thanks for your feedback and being the first guinea pig for this. I am thinking about doing the same thing that you did. Since you had the programming done by a local locksmith, how exactly did he do it. Did he clone it from your existing key fob? Or did he need access to your vehicle and maybe used TechStream to do it?
Did he also cut the key insert for you, as well?
Old 03-11-24, 11:26 AM
Markfm
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Final Update:

My $250 gamble worked

Fundamentally is the Card Key a "no-cellular/Internet connection required" replacement for a key fob, without the buttons but perhaps providing an overall more convenient form factor?
(For example, if going for a run, easy to tuck it into a small ziploc and shove in a pocket?)

I've owned RX' for decades but not one with a Card Key.

Thanks!

Last edited by Markfm; 03-11-24 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-11-24, 04:13 PM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CommodoreAmiga
Can you post a picture and measurement of the side profile of the key? I'm curious how thick it is?

The key card is roughly the thickness of two credit cards on top of each other. They use a "coin" battery, a CR2412, which is a bit of an oddball size which is thinner than a CR2032. My wife has one which came with her 2024 NX450h+.

Last edited by StefanoS; 03-11-24 at 04:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Markfm (03-11-24)
Old 03-11-24, 04:29 PM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by StefanoS
The key card is roughly the thickness of two credit cards on top of each other. They use a "coin" battery, a CR2412, which is a bit of an oddball size which is thicker than a CR2032. My wife has one which came with her 2024 NX450h+.
CR batteries follow the naming scheme "CR{Diameter}{Height}" where Diameter is in mm, and Height is in 10ths of a mm.
A CR2032 would be ~20mm wide and ~3.2mm tall.
A CR2412 would be ~24mm wide and ~1.2mm tall.

It makes sense Lexus would use the CR2412 for the key card, since it is thinner.

I found a Panasonic data sheet and it shows the CR2412 having a nominal capacity of 100mAh, compared to a CR2032 at 225mAh. So I'd expect the key card to need battery replacement 2-3 times more frequently. That's good info to have, imo. I'd replace the battery at least once a year, if not every six months.

If the whole key card is no wider or taller than a credit card, and only about 2 credit cards in thickness, that'd be great for me. My wallet is RFID-blocking, however. I know the Lexus key card is not RFID, but I'm not sure if it would attenuate the card signal enough to make it ineffective. Having to remove the card from my wallet would eliminate its usefulness, to me.

Do you use a RFID-blocking wallet? Do you notice any issues with the key card?

Thanks for sharing your first-hand experience.
Old 03-11-24, 05:34 PM
StefanoS
Intermediate

CR batteries follow the naming scheme "CR{Diameter}{Height}" where Diameter is in mm, and Height is in 10ths of a mm.

It makes sense Lexus would use the CR2412 for the key card, since it is thinner.

I found a Panasonic data sheet and it shows the CR2412 having a nominal capacity of 100mAh, compared to a CR2032 at 225mAh. So I'd expect the key card to need battery replacement 2-3 times more frequently. That's good info to have, imo. I'd replace the battery at least once a year, if not every six months.

If the whole key card is no wider or taller than a credit card, and only about 2 credit cards in thickness, that'd be great for me. My wallet is RFID-blocking, however. I know the Lexus key card is not RFID, but I'm not sure if it would attenuate the card signal enough to make it ineffective. Having to remove the card from my wallet would eliminate its usefulness, to me.

I just grabbed her key card and it is roughly three thicknesses of a credit card, not two. The width is slightly narrower and is about 1/4 inch shorter in length.
We keep our fobs in a Faraday box when not in use but, the key card remains in her wallet at all times. I would think that since you have a shielded wallet, this might block the signal. While the fobs can be put into sleep mode, I don't think that you can do that with key card, since there are no buttons on it. It also has a cut key that is removable, much the same as the fob has.
The following 2 users liked this post by StefanoS:
Mamberly (03-11-24), Markfm (03-11-24)
Old 03-11-24, 10:38 PM
Mamberly
Rookie

I have it in Royce RFID wallet, it works perfectly fine.
As for the thickness, it's about 3 credit card thick.
Old 03-11-24, 10:44 PM
Mamberly
Rookie

Originally Posted by Markfm
Fundamentally is the Card Key a "no-cellular/Internet connection required" replacement for a key fob, without the buttons but perhaps providing an overall more convenient form factor?
(For example, if going for a run, easy to tuck it into a small ziploc and shove in a pocket?)

I've owned RX' for decades but not one with a Card Key.

Thanks!
I hate the Digital Key... It worked only a handful of times. Once in a while, it'll force you to download the key again to your app. Right now, it's having issues and refuses to download on the app.
I'm just glad I got the Key Card to work, so I don't have to ever use the Digital Key feature on my phone.

The Smart Access Key Card is nice to have since I always take my wallet with me to the car. It's one less thing I have to worry about. I rarely use the button on my regular smart key fob, so I don't mind the card at all.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mamberly:
Markfm (03-12-24), StefanoS (03-12-24)
Old 03-11-24, 10:52 PM
Mamberly
Rookie

On my old '22 NX F Sport, I had 2 Smart Access Card Keys (one for me and one for the lady). I had to replace my battery after 18 months, but her still worked. You'll probably have to replace the battery once every 2 years.
StefanoS (03-12-24)
Old 03-11-24, 11:05 PM
Mamberly
Rookie

Originally Posted by StefanoS
Thanks for your feedback and being the first guinea pig for this. I am thinking about doing the same thing that you did. Since you had the programming done by a local locksmith, how exactly did he do it. Did he clone it from your existing key fob? Or did he need access to your vehicle and maybe used TechStream to do it?
Did he also cut the key insert for you, as well?
He used Tech Stream to program my key to the car. It took less than 5 minutes for the whole procedure.
I didn't have the insert key since I didn't know if this was going to work.I called my dealership after I had it programmed, and they're asking $35 for the insert key! I guess I got to look around :/
StefanoS (03-12-24)
Old 03-12-24, 08:45 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

He used Tech Stream to program my key to the car. It took less than 5 minutes for the whole procedure.
I didn't have the insert key since I didn't know if this was going to work.I called my dealership after I had it programmed, and they're asking $35 for the insert key! I guess I got to look around :/
You could always take the insert key to him to have it cut. I am assuming that the blank key comes with the unprogrammed card, correct? Yeah, $35 sounds like Lexus dealer pricing, for certain. Thanks for your response above, I kinda thought that he may have used Tech Stream but, I was not really positive. I have read that these smart key cards are an EPROM and can be reprogrammed, if you can pick up a used one, as long as you can find one with the correct frequency.
Old 03-12-24, 07:46 PM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

The Lexus EOM online parts store has the card for $228.30 If you have the part # for the insert key it may be less on this site?

https://www.lexusoeparts.com/oem-par...ter-8990h78491
StefanoS (03-14-24)
Old 03-13-24, 08:50 AM
podlesnick
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great news am I reading here.
I also got my RX without this key. I found these two Smart Access Card Keys:
- 8990H-78621 HYQ14CCP for 154.95 USD, link: https://www.key4.com/lexus-nx-tx-sma...78621-hyq14ccp
- 8990h-78491 HYQ14CBP for 249.95 USD, link: https://www.key4.com/lexus-lx-gx-nx-...78491-hyq14cbp

I know Mamberly confirmed the second is working, but guys, do You think also the first one would work (it's cheaper and available)?

Old 03-14-24, 01:59 AM
Mamberly
Rookie

Originally Posted by podlesnick
Great news am I reading here.
I also got my RX without this key. I found these two Smart Access Card Keys:
- 8990H-78621 HYQ14CCP for 154.95 USD, link: https://www.key4.com/lexus-nx-tx-sma...78621-hyq14ccp
- 8990h-78491 HYQ14CBP for 249.95 USD, link: https://www.key4.com/lexus-lx-gx-nx-...78491-hyq14cbp

I know Mamberly confirmed the second is working, but guys, do You think also the first one would work (it's cheaper and available)?
I wouldn't recommend going with the "cheaper" option. Based on my research, It uses 433.58 MHz and 434.42 MHz frequencies. Our North American RXs, uses 312.1 MHz and 314.35 MHz frequencies for our fob.
It may work, but I wouldn't want to take a chance on it.

Quick Reply: Does any one get a key card?