RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Does any one get a key card?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-24, 07:15 AM
podlesnick
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Mamberly

Here is my open key fob

Last edited by podlesnick; 04-22-24 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-22-24, 10:42 AM
Mamberly
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by podlesnick
@Mamberly

Here is my open key fob
@podlesnick Could you take out the module and flip it over? I need to see the FCC ID and Model on the other side.

Last edited by Mamberly; 04-23-24 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-24-24, 01:07 AM
podlesnick
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mamberly
@podlesnick Could you take out the module and flip it over? I need to see the FCC ID and Model on the other side.
i just don't know, how to take out the module. My key is different from this video:

My key does not have the red button (speaker or what it is) and does not have the spot where you should put the metal part.
Old 05-25-24, 09:51 AM
SaraLvsLxs
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

@Mamberly @jahnjva who were the locksmiths that you used? I am willing to travel to get this done. I’m one of the original posters on this thread about the key card and have not had luck for over a year. Thank you sooo much!!!

@ChefT which dealership programmed it for you? I am willing to travel to them to get one for my RX. Thank you so much!!
Old 05-25-24, 03:04 PM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

I went to a local locksmith who thought he could do it. When I brought the car there he couldn't even access the car data. If you don't get the dealer to do it, make sure the locksmith has up to date Tech Stream software. The local locksmith gave me the name of a mobile locksmith who had the correct software and was able to take care of it. Independent local mobile locksmith.
Old 05-25-24, 03:25 PM
SaraLvsLxs
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jahnjva
I went to a local locksmith who thought he could do it. When I brought the car there he couldn't even access the car data. If you don't get the dealer to do it, make sure the locksmith has up to date Tech Stream software. The local locksmith gave me the name of a mobile locksmith who had the correct software and was able to take care of it. Independent local mobile locksmith.
thanks are you willing to share his information?
Old 05-25-24, 06:26 PM
ColoradoDavid
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SaraLvsLxs
thanks are you willing to share his information?
I heard thru the grapevine that Costco has a keyfob program that is about half the cost of dealerships. No idea if they can accommodate Lexus key fobs tho.
Old 05-25-24, 06:43 PM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Noble Locksmith 804-300-3400 (mobile in Virginia area)
Old 06-04-24, 06:30 PM
kenvin100
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bump-couldn't help but notice some success with the 5th gen

I've been trying with the 4th Generation RX350 in Canada to no avail....
Old 06-29-24, 12:10 PM
vandine
3rd Gear

Given the Fob shortage Lexus should provide a key card. Can't be that difficult.
I guess all the smart, TQM Kaizen trained Lexus staff have retired. No thinking ahead, quality control and stellar customer service.
Originally Posted by Eagleboy99
Apparently a brand new keycard can be programmed via TEchstream. Note that it must be brand new, so I suspect there is some non-erasable/rewriteable thing going on inside.
I'm not sure how a key card is any better than a fob though. The digital app idea seems useful, if it works. I know that it is possible to have GoogleWallet store some car keys.
Old 06-29-24, 01:40 PM
jahnjva
Intermediate

It has nothing to do with smart techs. If they can program the fob, they can program the wallet key. The issue is that Lexus didn't "officially" offer the wallet key as an option on the 5th gen Rx's. The dealers won't therefore acknowledge the wallet key as an option nor will they program it for you. You have to buy the wallet key and have a locksmith that has current Techstream software program it for you. It cost me $500Plus for the wallet card, metal access key and programming but I love the convenience of no fob to carry around. I even asked a local Toyota dealer to program it and they like Lexus refused.

The crazy thing is they offer the wallet card on the NX which has the same fob as the RX.
The following users liked this post:
StefanoS (06-30-24)
Old 06-29-24, 05:49 PM
vandine
3rd Gear

Default What???

Think big picture, corporate groupthink. Lexus was a premium brand because of their penchant for work ethic, pride, and commitment to quality.
The key fob issue, the crappy digital key and app are indications that the previous generation with their work ethic and commitment to quality have retired. Along with the smart folks who would have designed a work around for this issue.
Lexus apparently wants to save money and as lond as consumers put up with it, Lexus can do whatever it wants.
All they seem to care about are profit, and hiring the best people and keeping them cuts into profits.A worid class quality system costs money, companies are all about cutting corners.
Sadly this is true for most products these days.

QUOTE=jahnjva;11748503]It has nothing to do with smart techs. If they can program the fob, they can program the wallet key. The issue is that Lexus didn't "officially" offer the wallet key as an option on the 5th gen Rx's. The dealers won't therefore acknowledge the wallet key as an option nor will they program it for you. You have to buy the wallet key and have a locksmith that has current Techstream software program it for you. It cost me $500Plus for the wallet card, metal access key and programming but I love the convenience of no fob to carry around. I even asked a local Toyota dealer to program it and they like Lexus refused.

The crazy thing is they offer the wallet card on the NX which has the same fob as the RX.[/QUOTE]