RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

p0136 code...air/fuel ratio sensor DIY help...'99 rx; 177k miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-09, 08:27 AM
rhack1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p0136 code...air/fuel ratio sensor DIY help...'99 rx; 177k miles

I have a P0136 code...confirmed by a local toyota dealer, too...

Bank 1, sensor 2... this is the sensor that is supposed to be accessible on the driver's side; located between the muffler-like resonator and the catalytic converter...(i am attaching a picture from Lexmex)...

I have replaced a sensor before near the manifold and already have the socket tool...

my rx is a 1999 with 177k miles...i looked underneath it and am concerned about getting it off...here are my questions...

1. is there a detailed DIY post for replacing this specific sensor?...if so, where...i can't find one...

2. which toyota/lexus oem part number is the right one?...is there also a corresponding denso part number?...a corresponding bosch part number?

3. does the a/f sensor have a flange attached to it?...it appears to...

4. it appears to be assembled this way: pipe w/ bolts welded on, gasket, flange of sensor, small heat shield, bolts/nuts...my nuts seem to be rusted almost away...the bolts are attached to the pipe, right?...once again, does the replacement sensor have a flange - it appears to have one...(see #3)...

5. assuming i get the bolts off or chipped away, it seems like the sensor will come off easily...not sure though...need some advice and/or pix...

6. the electrical connector goes through the floor of the car sealed with a grommet...hoping this isn't too tough to make the connection - any advice on how to take the carpet/etc up to get to the connector?...i saw a post on a gs that looks like it could be similar...hoping for a rx specific post on this repair though...here's the gs post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...placement.html

thanks for any help...

Rob
Attached Thumbnails p0136 code...air/fuel ratio sensor DIY help...'99 rx; 177k miles-lexmex_catresonator1.jpg  

Last edited by rhack1; 01-15-09 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-15-09, 02:01 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

I'll try to answer below.

1. is there a detailed DIY post for replacing this specific sensor?...if so, where...i can't find one...

Not that I know of, I haven't had the luxury of changing this sensor itself only removing it from the bung at an exhaust shop, but the service manual won't be much help either as only a page of a diagram and some short text on an accompanying page are all that exist

2. which toyota/lexus oem part number is the right one?...is there also a corresponding denso part number?...a corresponding bosch part number?

Denso 234-4215 (stick to Denso, too many reasons for this)

3. does the a/f sensor have a flange attached to it?...it appears to...

Yes, see below,

4. it appears to be assembled this way: pipe w/ bolts welded on, gasket, flange of sensor, small heat shield, bolts/nuts...my nuts seem to be rusted almost away...the bolts are attached to the pipe, right?...once again, does the replacement sensor have a flange - it appears to have one...(see #3)...

Let's take another look, see this thread, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx3...resonator.html

5. assuming i get the bolts off or chipped away, it seems like the sensor will come off easily...not sure though...need some advice and/or pix...

Yes

6. the electrical connector goes through the floor of the car sealed with a grommet...hoping this isn't too tough to make the connection - any advice on how to take the carpet/etc up to get to the connector?...i saw a post on a gs that looks like it could be similar...hoping for a rx specific post on this repair though...here's the gs post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...placement.html

Precise steps are to remove the driver's seat and then carpet to access this area, I can't really tell you anything more beyond that, but I'd suggest trying to remove the screws visible at the front corners of the driver's seat first

thanks for any help...

Rob[/QUOTE]
Attached Thumbnails p0136 code...air/fuel ratio sensor DIY help...'99 rx; 177k miles-img_1512.jpg  
Old 01-15-09, 05:52 PM
rhack1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexmex -

Thank you...great info and detail...i really appreciate it (as will others that discover this post over time)

Geez - this sensor is a lot more tougher to replace than the front one!...

i have a couple questions:

1. what is the toyota/lexus part#?...thanks for the denso part number...tomorrow i will source it and having both part numbers will help...

2. does the sensor come with bolt, washers and nuts?...mine are, and will be, unusable - destroyed by rust...i sure hope they include them...if not, any idea what size, etc?

i have already have new plugs, coils, and front sensor replaced...and now i'm still getting a p1036...i have to assume the sensor is shot, right?...177k and 8+ years seems like it could be shot...anyway to be sure?...

THANKS...Rob
Old 01-16-09, 08:22 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by rhack1
Lexmex -

Thank you...great info and detail...i really appreciate it (as will others that discover this post over time)

Geez - this sensor is a lot more tougher to replace than the front one!...

i have a couple questions:

1. what is the toyota/lexus part#?...thanks for the denso part number...tomorrow i will source it and having both part numbers will help...

2. does the sensor come with bolt, washers and nuts?...mine are, and will be, unusable - destroyed by rust...i sure hope they include them...if not, any idea what size, etc?

i have already have new plugs, coils, and front sensor replaced...and now i'm still getting a p1036...i have to assume the sensor is shot, right?...177k and 8+ years seems like it could be shot...anyway to be sure?...

THANKS...Rob
Rob,

Not sure on the Toyota/Lexus part and even if I did have it, I am sure these numbers usually get superseded by new part numbers, but have known other would replaced that O2 sensor and that was the Denso number.

My memory is a bit fuzzy on the bolt size. I think this is a 14mm bolt (you might want to get under there to be sure, I could be wrong on this one. I don't think the bolt comes with.

Sensor likely is the issue. The only other big event that occurs around that area is a P0420, low cat efficiency code, but since you don't have that, the sensor is the most likely culprit.