RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Product recommendation for those who live in ethanol or E10 states

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-09, 09:21 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Product recommendation for those who live in ethanol or E10 states

My girlfriend's father happens to work with Florida Sportsman magazine and as such is well into the marine/boating industry. He recently recommend a product that he's had success with not just with his 2 boats, but also with his two vehicles, a van and and SUV. In particular, as you may or may not be aware of, boats, particularly older ones, are most susceptible to issues involving E10 or 10% ethanol fuel that can cause havoc in their motors and fuel lines. With our own vehicles we are not immune to some of the issues particularly, loss of MPG and also issues when we get down to the bottom of the tank.

Ever since coming back from Mexico, I have been using various fuel additives to help clean up the mess left by Pemex and friends, but where one issue started another began since Florida is an E10 state.

About 3 tankfuls ago, I started using a product called Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment, http://mystarbrite.com/startron//con...3/123/lang,en/

If you live near a West Marine store or even at a Walmart with a marine/boating section, you'll be likely to find this product, though they do have a store locator at the top of the above webpage.

I dumped the only one bottle in, running Chevron 93, and 3 tankfuls later have noticed an improvement on startup and also in the MPG department where I have been running .5 MPG better and it has been sustained.

Initially, I did have an issue where when turning the corner near the end of the first tankful, my vehicle had some hesitation, but by the second tankful this hesitation was gone. I only had one CEL error, an A/F sensor issue, that I promptly cleared, by figure the additive was doing its job cleaning up the muck on the bottom of the tank. Again, previous cleaners an additives I have used didn't clean up this mess, but this product did, so it now goes on my recommended list.
Old 10-30-09, 08:28 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used this too. It is extremely hard for me to find. Even at wal-mart, its almost a hit or miss. I also have the same effects you had. I did follow the instructions on the bottle. So my first tank was 4oz and 2oz a tank on after. Overall I have had a 1.5mpg on average increase over about 10 tanks using this product consistantly. I too would recommend this, and I have tried about every other product out there, just to see if it worked.