RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

330 coolant leak from front freeze plug. Anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-05, 11:11 PM
markpaco
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 330 coolant leak from front freeze plug. Anyone else?

When I changed my oil today I noticed some dried red stuff on the bottom of the pan. I was pretty sure it was dried coolant since it is the only thing that would leave a red residue on the car. When I pulled a splash shield I saw that the freeze plug next to the oil filter was leaking. I am going to take it in to have Lexus fix it since the car is under warranty. Should be a simple fix but I might as well take advantage of the warranty. Plus I can check out the new IS.

So my question is: Has anyone had this problem?

Car is a 2004, is 25 months old, with 26k miles.
Attached Thumbnails 330 coolant leak from front freeze plug.  Anyone else?-051007-rx330-001.jpg  
Old 10-08-05, 09:27 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

markpaco: Howzit! Where in Hawaii are you?

Anyway, I had the coolant leak as well, but I had the green puddle in my garage. It took the service dept. twice to fix it. Some hose or something was leaking. I have an '04 as well, and it happened around 25K miles or so.
Old 10-08-05, 09:33 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied

Anyway, I had the coolant leak as well, but I had the green puddle in my garage. It took the service dept. twice to fix it. Some hose or something was leaking. I have an '04 as well, and it happened around 25K miles or so.
I'm about to change my oil tomorrow so I'll be sure to check that plug for leaks. I haven't noticed anything yet though.
Old 10-11-05, 10:37 AM
markpaco
Rookie

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied

I am on Oahu. I guess my car is a 'rare' AWD model. I guess Servco doesn't bring many of them here.

How come you have green coolant? Toyotas usually have the red stuff. Have you had it flushed in the past?
Old 10-11-05, 02:31 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

I just changed my RX330 oil and my plug is okay for now. However, I just changed oil on my SC400 and noticed coolant just starting to seep out of that similar plug on the SC. By the way I'm on Oahu as well.
Old 10-11-05, 03:39 PM
markpaco
Rookie

I got a call from Lexus saying that they did a pressure check on the system and it was fine. So they did not fix the leak . It is obviously leaking but apparently, they won't fix it unless it is affecting the system. I don't really care because if it continues to leak I will bring it back in.

They supposedly fixed a groaning noise from the A/C system though. It would occur after the car is warm during low speed with the A/C on. It sounded more like a power steering pump going bad to me. But they said that there is a TSB regarding a A/C hose groaning sound. They install a rubber isolator on the A/C hose bracket to dampen the vibration. Hopefully it solves the problem.
Old 10-11-05, 07:42 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by markpaco

How come you have green coolant? Toyotas usually have the red stuff. Have you had it flushed in the past?
I have no idea, but I know for sure it was green. I just had a flush done for my 30K service.
Old 10-27-05, 05:31 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Yes, I found that I had the exact same problem today on my 2004 RX330 with 26,000 miles.

It's a very small leak. The way I noticed it was that the car was sitting for about 2 weeks while I was driving another vehicle. When I pulled the RX out of the garage, there was a small but noteworthy puddle of coolant on the floor. The leak is slow enough such that you probably won't notice it under normal driving conditions. Warming up the engine every day must evaporate the coolant before it gets all the way out of the engine compartment.

Just like the picture shows, it's pretty obvious once you go looking for it.
Old 08-08-09, 04:37 AM
compdr59
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 2004 RX330 and I noticed my coolant level was low. When I finally went to change my oil, I noticed the exact same leak around that plate. Is there a gasket that needs to be replaced? Is there another one on the rear side of the engine? Since the car is 5 years old and almost 60k miles I think it's time to flush the coolant. Any issues w/ aftermarket anti-freeze?
Old 08-08-09, 01:57 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Never use fluid other than Toyota Long Life. Also, there is an extended warranty on radiator on the RX330 because of the TSB. Check with your dealer. Again use Toyota Long Life fluid, the red one. They are not expensive, same price as the other fluids.

Last edited by mandyfig; 01-04-10 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-04-10, 08:49 AM
bbanda24
Driver School Candidate

Default freeze plug leak

I was getting my oil change done yesterday and my husband noticed that their was red dried coolant. He seems to think that it is leaking from the freeze plug. I called Toyota and they just refered me to Lexus that because they dont carry these parts anyways. This is not the same Toyota I bought my RX from. I called them and they charge me $49 to check it out, is this really a common problem? Does any one know about how much I am looking at for repair cost?
Old 01-04-10, 10:34 AM
markpaco
Rookie

Toyota should be able to fix it for you since the motor is common with the Camry, Sienna, and Highlander.

I don't know the actual cost since it was taken cared of by the warranty but I don't expect it to exceed $150 for parts and labor. You can probably even do it youself.
Old 01-04-10, 01:01 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

This thread blew me away....was not paying attention on the dates....

OP 10/08/05 markpaco talking about the car, an 04 being 2 years old....

last post was 10/27/05

then 08/08/09.....

4 years later, markpaco replied....

Awesome!
Old 01-04-10, 09:38 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That hole (behind the leaking cover) is where the block heater goes, if you have one installed. I know because I installed mine myself and it was a PITA getting that plate and the two mounting bolts out. There was lots of sealant behind it - surprised yours leaked acutally - maybe the sealant dried out, or there wasn't enough put there when the engine was built.

Anyway, if you're in a cold climate, and you have this leaking cover, it would be a perfect time to install a block heater.

That's not a freeze plug btw. A freeze plug is designed to pop out if the coolant should ever freeze. In most cars, what people mistakenly call freeze plugs are in fact core plugs. They are usually pressed into the hole (the hole is a casting hole from when the block was formed).

This thing Toyota has is bolted on - no way it's moving if the coolant freezes. I suppose it might be Toyota's version of a core plug, but bolted on instead of pressed in? Or maybe Toyota designed it specifically for a block heater for the cold climate sales?

Last edited by rcy; 01-04-10 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-04-10, 11:58 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

markpaco's location says Hawaii. Very little need for a block heater for him.

Salim

Quick Reply: 330 coolant leak from front freeze plug. Anyone else?