RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX 330 AC Condenser problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-06, 06:39 PM
asteriod
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry RX 330 AC Condenser problem

I have a 330 '04, the AC went stopped working. The dealer said a rock had hit the AC condenser and caused a hole. I looked at the condenser and saw a small dent. It appears the condenser is not very protected. Is this a design problem? He want $700 to fix it..
Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 08-14-08, 07:11 PM
garne2t
Driver School Candidate

Yes. I just got back from the shop and they want $1350 to fix it! I read somewhere that insurance might cover it as a comprehensive claim. So I submitted a claim and I'm waiting for a reply. Worth a try.

Seems like a design flaw to me that there is nothing to protect the condenser from rock damage!
Old 08-14-08, 09:07 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Did you see this thread?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=281827

HOw much of a dent was there? I have quite a few dented fins, and one good pea sized dent, but so far (knock on wood) not leaking.
Old 08-20-08, 07:00 PM
garne2t
Driver School Candidate

Default A/C Condenser -Everything you need to know

If you have a problem with a leaking A/C condenser from rock damage, the following detailed post will help as I just went through the experience.

Design problem with RX's?

Yes thanks, I did see that reply about jerry rigging a mesh under the front bumper to protect the condenser. Sure seems like we shouldn't have to do that to protect it properly! Seems like a design problem to me. Maybe the condenser should at least have a stronger mesh built in on the front as the fins are very fragile. Even bugs damage the fins as my fins were all very smushed in the places exposed.

Shop Fraud?

The dent was very small. (1-2mm) See attached picture. I almost wonder if the shop punched it in so they could ring up a big repair bill?? I looked at it under a powerful magnifying glass and it looks like it was! Of course, hard to prove. Might be best to try and watch the mechanic diagnose your A/C problem if you can.

Estimate for repairs including unnecessary items

I later discovered the shop estimate I got included a receiver/drier part ($243.88) and extra labor (1.9 hours - $169.10) to install the receiver/drier part in addition to parts and labor for the condenser ($423.40/$186.90). Turns out the receiver drier is included in the condenser so over $400 of the estimate was extraneous! Estimate also included dye ($10.50) which isn't needed and should only be added if needed to diagnose a leak. My leak was already "diagnosed."

When I confronted the shop owner (Bill's Auto Electric in Campbell, CA) he said he couldn't possibly spend the time to check to see if a drier is needed since every car is different and it would impact his profitability too much if he had to do that. What a joke! I quickly ended the call and simply said, "well then I won't take any more of your time." Instead I'll spend my time following up with a complaint to BBB.

Insurance coverage

After searching other posts, I discovered insurance may cover the damage under comprehensive. Assuming it was rock damage since I couldn't prove intentional damage, I pursued a claim with my insurance. It was approved and I was only responsible for my deductable. Good news! They also said it won't effect rates since it's comprehensive.

More reasonable estimate for repair from body shop

I then contacted a body shop recommended by my insurance company and got a MUCH more reasonable estimate. $486.57 vs. the $1328.92 from Bill's Auto Electric for the same job. To be fair, body shop used after market condenser accounting for $160 of savings. But still WAY cheaper. Moral shop around! Body shops and not just mechanics can replace the condenser and the nice bonus is that they usually include a car wash.

Non OEM Condenser issue

Which brings me to the non OEM condenser issue I have. The OEM condenser is black. When I picked up my car, the after market condenser they used is silver and you can see it as it stands out behind the grill and under the bumper. I wish they had told me in advance of this difference. Other than that, I was very happy with the service provided, so I mentioned it when picking up my car but didn't formally complain. Maybe I'm being over sensitive. Has anyone else had an issue with the after market condenser color? Should I pursue getting it fixed with the OEM condenser that is black?
Attached Thumbnails RX 330 AC Condenser problem-condenser5.jpg  
Old 08-21-08, 07:14 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by garne2t
If you have a problem with a leaking A/C condenser from rock damage, the following detailed post will help as I just went through the experience.

Design problem with RX's?

Yes thanks, I did see that reply about jerry rigging a mesh under the front bumper to protect the condenser. Sure seems like we shouldn't have to do that to protect it properly! Seems like a design problem to me. Maybe the condenser should at least have a stronger mesh built in on the front as the fins are very fragile. Even bugs damage the fins as my fins were all very smushed in the places exposed.

Shop Fraud?

The dent was very small. (1-2mm) See attached picture. I almost wonder if the shop punched it in so they could ring up a big repair bill?? I looked at it under a powerful magnifying glass and it looks like it was! Of course, hard to prove. Might be best to try and watch the mechanic diagnose your A/C problem if you can.

Estimate for repairs including unnecessary items

I later discovered the shop estimate I got included a receiver/drier part ($243.88) and extra labor (1.9 hours - $169.10) to install the receiver/drier part in addition to parts and labor for the condenser ($423.40/$186.90). Turns out the receiver drier is included in the condenser so over $400 of the estimate was extraneous! Estimate also included dye ($10.50) which isn't needed and should only be added if needed to diagnose a leak. My leak was already "diagnosed."

When I confronted the shop owner (Bill's Auto Electric in Campbell, CA) he said he couldn't possibly spend the time to check to see if a drier is needed since every car is different and it would impact his profitability too much if he had to do that. What a joke! I quickly ended the call and simply said, "well then I won't take any more of your time." Instead I'll spend my time following up with a complaint to BBB.

Insurance coverage

After searching other posts, I discovered insurance may cover the damage under comprehensive. Assuming it was rock damage since I couldn't prove intentional damage, I pursued a claim with my insurance. It was approved and I was only responsible for my deductable. Good news! They also said it won't effect rates since it's comprehensive.

More reasonable estimate for repair from body shop

I then contacted a body shop recommended by my insurance company and got a MUCH more reasonable estimate. $486.57 vs. the $1328.92 from Bill's Auto Electric for the same job. To be fair, body shop used after market condenser accounting for $160 of savings. But still WAY cheaper. Moral shop around! Body shops and not just mechanics can replace the condenser and the nice bonus is that they usually include a car wash.

Non OEM Condenser issue

Which brings me to the non OEM condenser issue I have. The OEM condenser is black. When I picked up my car, the after market condenser they used is silver and you can see it as it stands out behind the grill and under the bumper. I wish they had told me in advance of this difference. Other than that, I was very happy with the service provided, so I mentioned it when picking up my car but didn't formally complain. Maybe I'm being over sensitive. Has anyone else had an issue with the after market condenser color? Should I pursue getting it fixed with the OEM condenser that is black?
Try picking up some heat resistant flat black spray paint,and just spray it where you can see it through the outside.The only other option is to remove the condenser and spray paint the whole thing.They could have easily done this at their shop,unfortunately no one thinks past their nose these day`s.
Old 04-09-09, 07:02 PM
clague
Driver School Candidate

I had the exact same thing happen as the original poster, only the dealership wanted $1805 to fix it! I told them no thanks.

That's a good tip about the insurance though...