RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX400h Aftermarket Stereo - Check Air Conditioner

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-10, 11:09 AM
MMS4MSU
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX400h Aftermarket Stereo - Check Air Conditioner

I have a 06 RX400h with factory Nav and 6-disc changer that I hate. I am trying to install an alpine stereo in it, the nav reads "check the connection of the air conditioner", and the AC does not turn on. I am using a wire harness, so nothing is cut. Is the AC tied into the Toyota stereo and is there a bypass? Thanks in advance.

Update - I have found a 12-pin connector on the factory radio when connected removes the issue. It has 8 wires, two top and 6 on the bottom.?.

Last edited by MMS4MSU; 02-03-10 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-03-10, 07:50 PM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Aftermarket Stereo

I tried to put a Kenwood in my RX350. But it only works if you have the non Navigation. The stereo control has outputs that have to be connected. As you have found out.

I have spent hours trying to find out how. Even the guys at Beatsonic didnt have the answer.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...tegration.html
Old 03-15-10, 03:25 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Anyone have any idea how to resolve this issue ? I'm trying to install a Pioneer AVIC-Z3
on my RX400h, same issue, the HVAC stop working after the aftermarket radio is disconnected. My project is at a paused at the moment until this issue can be resolve
Old 03-16-10, 12:12 AM
MMS4MSU
Driver

Installing a Alpine IVA-w505, I used a BeatSonic MVA-82 just for the 12 pin connector from the factory radio for the hvac and a Metra Tyto-01 for the 20 pin audio. This retained all the function except auto-mute during phone calls. I even keep the audio dim for navigation. The MVA-82 did not have to have power to work; so I am not sure if it was a simple wire bypass or if the unit processed any signal. I have so little time for this kind of stuff any more, it was easier to purchase something to solve the issue than track down the "cheap" solution and I did not have to destroy the Lex radio. I took the receiver out to get some factory work done but should get it back this week. My only issue was the face plate opening while in park. Hope it helps
Old 03-16-10, 09:37 AM
mowmow
Lead Lap

MMS4MSU, thank you for the information. This helps, just one question what is the difference between the MVA-82 and the MVA-82R ? and I still want to know if I can get away with just doing a data in data out cable cos I sure don't feel like buying another adapter, by the way how much was the MVA-82 ?
Old 12-09-18, 06:39 PM
VincentFxt
Driver School Candidate

Default A hack solution

Originally Posted by MMS4MSU
I have a 06 RX400h with factory Nav and 6-disc changer that I hate. I am trying to install an alpine stereo in it, the nav reads "check the connection of the air conditioner", and the AC does not turn on. I am using a wire harness, so nothing is cut. Is the AC tied into the Toyota stereo and is there a bypass? Thanks in advance.

Update - I have found a 12-pin connector on the factory radio when connected removes the issue. It has 8 wires, two top and 6 on the bottom.?.

I had same problem, but it works as in the picture

Old 04-06-19, 03:02 PM
davintosh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VincentFxt
I had same problem, but it works as in the picture
Please elaborate on this fix... From the wire colors it looks like you applied 12V and ground to those two pins on the car harness. Is that correct?

I'm trying to get a Jensen double-DIN to work in my RX400h, and would love a solution that only involves a couple of jumper wires!
Old 04-07-19, 11:19 AM
KMB
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Metra faceplate replacement for Double-DIN aftermarket stereos in the 2RX comes with a TINY resistor for precisely this reason. Odd that it comes with the faceplate adapter instead of being advertised as its own thing, but at least it comes with something.

Anyway, bridge this resistor across the correct pins (there are only two to choose from) in the correct original connector, and the issue is resolved.

Are you not using the Metra faceplate adapter? If not, I can dig up some details. If you are, look in the package for a very tiny resistor...
Old 04-07-19, 07:38 PM
davintosh
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, KMB; I learned that after finding another thread after posting that yesterday. I did buy the Metra faceplate, and thankfully hadn't tossed the resistor! Unfortunately by the time I figured all that out I had run out of time to get the new stereo in, and had put the original back in. Next attempt will be on Tuesday!

Thanks again!
Old 04-10-19, 02:24 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 985 Likes on 784 Posts

I had same error message too.
On my car the radio had a plug with only 2 wires on it for Can Bus communication.
TX+ was the yellow wire.
TX- was the brown wire.
I unplugged the radio and jumped these 2 wires as others have done with a 68ohm resistor to terminate the Can bus wires.
This was important because these 2 wires are the same wires for the Nav unit(verified with my ohm meter) and are shared for the CAN bus communication and can't be left un-terminated because that's how CAN bus works.
2004 Lexus RX330, Nav, not Hybrid
Good Luck peace
Old 03-01-21, 12:04 AM
MtManClint
Driver School Candidate

Default How to fix climate control not working after installing new stereo

Originally Posted by KMB
The Metra faceplate replacement for Double-DIN aftermarket stereos in the 2RX comes with a TINY resistor for precisely this reason. Odd that it comes with the faceplate adapter instead of being advertised as its own thing, but at least it comes with something.

Anyway, bridge this resistor across the correct pins (there are only two to choose from) in the correct original connector, and the issue is resolved.

Are you not using the Metra faceplate adapter? If not, I can dig up some details. If you are, look in the package for a very tiny resistor...

You are absolutely right! I've now done this twice, first on an 06 RX400H, now an 07 RX350. I forgot about the resistor at first, and had to go back in when the stereo and steering wheel controls worked, but the heater and A/C were all out. My fuses for the 12v cig and the heater were good. It is so frustrating to have to patch together 4 wiring diagrams, and you wouldn't think of the face panel having one too after getting through the main harness/amp, steering wheel harness, stereo. Just make sure not to miss the little bag with 4screws and the resistor that comes with the metra faceplate. I used solder to connect.
*Side note, I also got one of those usb with 1/8" jack for inputs and drilled a hole next to the 12v outlet.