RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Interior Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-10 | 09:00 AM
ubet2003
Driver School Candidate

Angry Interior Rattles

Have my 2010 RX for 3 weeks and have 2 sources of rattles: Back seat/cargo area and dash panel.

Rear rattle: Everything is fine under very smooth road, but not so on very slight roughness. Dealer says backseat is source of rear noise, and it has no fix: says noise is gone when people sit on seat, but is there otherwise. Any thoughts? (other than carry 100 pound weights on the back seat!)

Dash: Same provocation: slight road roughness. Sounds like behind the the center of dash. Applying hand pressure anywhere on dash does not stop it. Dealer reluctant to do anything!! Any thoughts?
Old 01-09-10 | 10:01 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ubet2003
Have my 2010 RX for 3 weeks and have 2 sources of rattles: Back seat/cargo area and dash panel.

Rear rattle: Everything is fine under very smooth road, but not so on very slight roughness. Dealer says backseat is source of rear noise, and it has no fix: says noise is gone when people sit on seat, but is there otherwise. Any thoughts? (other than carry 100 pound weights on the back seat!)

Dash: Same provocation: slight road roughness. Sounds like behind the the center of dash. Applying hand pressure anywhere on dash does not stop it. Dealer reluctant to do anything!! Any thoughts?
Some people complain of noise with the cargo cover. That could be your source. Dash ??? Maybe loose stuff in your glove box ???

Guess I'm just lucky, no complaints
Old 01-09-10 | 10:40 AM
Audriuss
Pole Position

I got my back door that was making ratling noise..
Old 01-09-10 | 04:28 PM
ubet2003
Driver School Candidate

Cruiter... I wish it was that easy. My glove box, door storage, center console are empty. The seat belts are not loose. The 'trunk' is empty including netting and cover. The dealer verified this.

Can a stronger service response be gotten from Lexus itself? Anyone know who to contact?
Old 01-09-10 | 05:09 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Cruiter... I wish it was that easy. My glove box, door storage, center console are empty. The seat belts are not loose. The 'trunk' is empty including netting and cover. The dealer verified this.

Can a stronger service response be gotten from Lexus itself? Anyone know who to contact?
i noticed that my dash rattles a bit today after taking my 450h for a spin. once the cabin temperature warmed up a bit, the rattles went away. i'll be taking this in to my dealer for this when i get back from vacation.

to answer your question, you need to call lexus corporate to file a complaint. to start you off in the right track, check this out:

http://www.lexususa.com/contact/index.html

one of those numbers should get you to lexus corporate. just ask to be put through to the complaints department. patience is the key.

keep in mind that the 2010 RX is a new design and there may not be a fix for rattles yet.
Old 01-09-10 | 06:43 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Dont believe the dealer. Mine does not rattle now. Initially there was a rattle in the back whenever I hit a bump. It was the top cargo holder (maybe not the right name). This is a plastic piece that is attach to the rear door just under the rear glass window. Its about 3 feet long and 4 inches wide. Its held in place by four clips. Three of the clips in mine was loose. I just remove the darn thing and the rattle went away.

The othe rattle was coming from the passenger seat belt. It was not retracted correctly and was hitting the metal buckle creating a rattling noise.

There is also a high pitch rattle from the cross bar at high speed. I removed them too.
Old 01-09-10 | 10:15 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

Here's what I did to make the rattles as tolerable as possible:

1) Remove the tonneau cover. Adding felt does very little as the spring on the inside rattles around.
2) Remove the cover clipped on the back door (with four clips)
3) Recline the rear seats just a little bit
4) Make sure your tire pressure is as it should be
5) If you hear rattling from the window/B pillar area, line the plastic window shroud contacts with felt tape. Note that the seatbelt holder is there too, right next to the ear and it rattles a bit.
6) Keep the center armrest/drink holder up when not in use.
7) Keep things out of the front and rear drink holders (on mine, drinks rattle the partition in the middle of each holder)
8) Put a bit of foam on the front and rear of the sliding tray in the armrest. Mine was slamming into the front an back of the plastic holder when I accelerated and braked.

I looked everywhere for felt tape and couldn't' find it anywhere. I ended up using moleskin pads (used to keep your feet from rubbing on shoes). Home Depot also sells something called 3M friction tape (next to the electrical tape) that can be used to prevent things from sliding. The only place I could find felt tape was my Lexus dealer, who let me take a little bit home.

I still notice some rattles when I drive on rougher roads and have been to two dealers for a total of three trips and they have both told me that everything is within spec. I don't think there's anything else I can do. I have the 19" rims, which adds to the problem.
Old 01-09-10 | 10:53 PM
ubet2003
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for responses.

1. That rear cargo holder (cover clipped to the rear door in 4 places)
(3-4" wide and about 3' long) was removed, and the holder clips checked....not the problem.
2. Rattles in rear and dash not provoked by going over speed bumps, just by going over non perfectly smooth road.
3. Haven't checked the passenger seat belt retraction position...will do so.
4. Removal of Tonneau cover didn't help rear rattles.
5. Not the center armrest cup holder as source of 'dash' rattles.
6. Not the sliding tray in the center arm rest....it is tight.

May have found remedy for rear noise...apparently it is related to rear seat. I stuffed folded/rolled towels in gap (about 1") between rear seat back and the 'floor' of the 'trunk' to apply pressure to the entire rear side (at low level) of the back seat. That seems to have almost entirely stopped the rattle. Something inside the seat loose???

Still have the dash rattles, sounding like behind middle of dash (not below the dash), when going over the type of road mentioned above. I am not at all clear on how to get the dealer to do something about it. Ideas???

P.S. My car is 2WD and does not have navigation.
Old 01-10-10 | 11:49 AM
Audriuss
Pole Position

had rattles in back door...once it was that maybe in carwash some people moved that part by the rear glass and several clips where open and that panel was making sound...but that was an easy fix.
The other thing that was making sound is interior panel of back door moving while closed and making sound...so dealer instaled some special tape, that it won't make sound from that spot on movement...just check pictures...

Old 01-10-10 | 12:02 PM
Rillo
Driver School Candidate

My 450 has a ton of rattles on delivery which have now all been fixed. Dash rattle is one of 2 things :

1) clips holding video screen cover in place (dealer fix)
2) under video screen in the dash the bluetooth receiver box sits on a padded frame. Mine had come loose - also a dealer fix.
Old 01-10-10 | 01:24 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the pics.

I did have the issue with this below. Luckily I was able to get rid of the rattle after removing and reinstalling it carefully. My rattle was originally caused by the large luggages, which bumped it and had it loose.

Originally Posted by Audriuss
Old 01-10-10 | 04:00 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rillo
My 450 has a ton of rattles on delivery which have now all been fixed. Dash rattle is one of 2 things :

1) clips holding video screen cover in place (dealer fix)
2) under video screen in the dash the bluetooth receiver box sits on a padded frame. Mine had come loose - also a dealer fix.
drove my wifes 450h yesterday and pointed out rattle in dash--tks for heads up--nothing else wrong-so we wil bring car in at next scheduled service
Old 01-10-10 | 06:42 PM
garfull
Rookie

A Lexus should not rattle period....go to a different dealer if you can. That's what I did.
Old 01-10-10 | 07:02 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by garfull
A Lexus should not rattle period....go to a different dealer if you can. That's what I did.
I agree completely, and there is no excuse for this kind of build quality and service. I left Mercedes for these same reasons.

Last edited by DNC; 01-10-10 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-11-10 | 11:04 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

This is very disappointing, I was hoping Lexus have turn the corner on their quality issues, but all these owners with rattles sure doesnt sound like Lexus have turn things around yet. I remember my 1st Lexus 15 years old, I bought it used and had it for 5 years and drove it until it had almost 100000 miles, not one major rattle. Now that was a solid car. My next 2 Lexus was the same built quality, they were build like a tank. The last 2 Lexus which was the 2 newest were the most disappointing when it comes to built quality.

Quick Reply: Interior Rattles