RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Is this a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-10, 12:04 PM
Lookyoung
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good deal?

2010 Lexus Rx 350 for a sticker price of 48,500. The dealer says that his invoice for the car is $43,757. He said a few days ago the best he could do was $500 over that. He calls today and he says he could do it for $43,857 which is $100 over invoice. The car includes

-comfort package
-Navigation
-AWD
-Premium package
-Tow prep package
-intuitive parking assist
-wood and leather trim steering wheel and shift.

Here are a few questions I have. part of the invocie has these charges.
-Remote engine start $225.00
-Accy pkg- which comes with Cargo net,Margo mat and wheel locks $232.00

Are these 2 above real or phony

These additional charges are also part of the invoice
TDA $585.00
DEALER HOLDBACK $780.00
whsl Financial reserve $390.00

Is this a good deal being that I knocked off close to $5000 dollars of the sticker price. I have not been to any dealers. When I go to the other dealers should I show them this quote or keep it quiet? What is your take?
Old 07-12-10, 12:23 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

This late in the model year, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to get the car at invoice or below. Get the dealer cost for all installed options at Edmunds.com (or carbuyingtips.com for a fee) and use the actual dealer cost as your starting point.

I got a similarly-equipped RX350 in October for $300 under invoice.
Old 07-12-10, 02:14 PM
gonecaxa
Driver School Candidate

I recently bought a new RX350 for $1000 below, although I am in CA and the market might be different than your state.

The invoice price that the dealer shows you include some fees which the dealer will eventually get back from Lexus, so in other words you shouldn't have to pay for those.

To get a more accurate invoice price, go on edmunds.com and build the car with the same options, that should give you a good starting point as far as the invoice price of the vehicle.

Like I said the market is different for each region so you would have to do your research for your area, but look through the forums on edmunds as people post their buying experiences/prices. In general, I find that I am able to get lower price quotes by going through the internet department rather than a floor salesman.

Good Luck
Old 07-12-10, 04:17 PM
Lookyoung
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gonecaxa
I recently bought a new RX350 for $1000 below, although I am in CA and the market might be different than your state.

The invoice price that the dealer shows you include some fees which the dealer will eventually get back from Lexus, so in other words you shouldn't have to pay for those.

To get a more accurate invoice price, go on edmunds.com and build the car with the same options, that should give you a good starting point as far as the invoice price of the vehicle.

Like I said the market is different for each region so you would have to do your research for your area, but look through the forums on edmunds as people post their buying experiences/prices. In general, I find that I am able to get lower price quotes by going through the internet department rather than a floor salesman.

Good Luck

Not to be minding your business but what was the sticker price on your RX and also did it have the options I stated above? Was your invoice similiar to the invoice that I posted.

I have another dealer who through the internet said he could give me an RX for 42,500 and the MSRP is 45,900 so I am not sure if that one is not as loaded. I will have to look into that.
Old 07-12-10, 05:14 PM
gonecaxa
Driver School Candidate

the MSRP is 45486, and I got it for around 39700. The invoice is around 40700.

The car is a FWD with NV, PM, FT, HS, WU, Acsy Pckg and Crossbars.
Old 07-13-10, 02:56 AM
krypttic
Pole Position

Yep, lots more dealers in CA. You'll get the best price where there is the most competition. I bought mine in AZ for about $300 below invoice, but could have saved hundreds more in another state.

As others have said, get the invoice price (including all options) and use that as your starting negotiation. The dealer will also include a legitimate charge for TDA (advertising fees), so be sure to factor that in.

Keep in mind that dealers who sell you the car at invoice still get 3% of the MSRP through holdback and financial reserve. So selling a little below invoice does not constitute a loss--particularly considering the bonuses it may trigger in their previous sales and the extra allotment of cars they may get for the future when meeting sales goals.

An "email attack" has worked for me in the past. Send the following email (edited with the proper info and options) to all the internet or sales managers in the area. If there are any factory to dealer incentives or rebates out there (there weren't when I purchased, but may be now that the 2011's are coming) be sure to subtract these from the invoice price. This method will put dealers in competition with each other and is best timed for the end of the month when they are scrambling to meet quotas.

--------------------------
Bob Smith
Sales Manager, XXXXX Lexus
Re: IMMEDIATE PURCHASE OF A 2010 RX 350 with Navigation

Dear Mr. Smith,

•Per our discussion on Monday, I will be purchasing a new 2010 Lexus RX 350 in the next few days and I would like to receive a quote from your dealership.
•I am requesting proposals from a limited number of dealers in the region. I expect a limited number of responses, so each serious proposal will have a decent chance of selling me this vehicle.
•I will inform all participants of the best offer I have received by the close of business tomorrow.
•Out of respect for your time and mine, I ask that your first proposal be your best. I am not interested in multiple back-and-forth negotiations. Please provide me with a price for the vehicle and include an itemized out-the-door price, including everything (tax, registration, documentation fees, etc.).
•I realize this is not your typical way to do business, but you should realize that I am a serious buyer who will be purchasing this vehicle by the end of the month
•My ideal vehicle would be configured as follows:

Vehicle/Equipment Description Invoice MSRP
−2010 Lexus RX 350 FWD with ENFORM
(Starfire Pearl, Parchment Perforated Leather) $33,153 $37,250
− Comfort Package $1600 $2000
− Cargo Mat $55 $92
− 12 Speaker Premium Audio System $88 $110
− 19” Aluminum Alloy Wheels $528 $660
− Cargo Net $35 $59
− Navigation System $2052 $2400
− Intuitive Parking Assist $400 $500
− Premium Package $2028 $2400
− Tow Prep Package $190 $238
− Wheel Locks $51 $81
− Wood & Leather-Trimmed Wheel/Shift **** $264 $330
− Delivery, Processing & Handling Fee $875 $875
− Front Window Tint $XXX $XXX
TOTAL $41,319 $46,995

It is my understanding that many of your vehicles come configured as above. However, I would also consider a close alternate configuration (i.e. with a towing package, AWD, or upgraded stereo) or placing a factory order if necessary.

•I realize that your version of the invoice price will include a legitimate additional charge for Lexus Dealer Association advertising (TDA). I am also aware that your dealership will receive Holdback and Financial Reserve, which total 3% of the total MSRP.
•I know that dealerships are rewarded financially and may receive larger future vehicle allocation for meeting sales goals and CSI targets. An attractive price proposal could help you reach these goals, particularly now at the end of the month.
•I plan on providing the dealership that sells me this vehicle the highest possible rating in the follow-up questionnaire I receive from Lexus. I also plan on performing all scheduled service and maintenance at your dealership.

As I’m sure you’re aware, overall Lexus sales are down over 30% for the year, with even the popular RX 350 down 2.5% from 2008. This is a difficult time for both dealers and consumers and I hope we will be able to help each other out. I look forward to your timely response on an attractive price on my new vehicle while helping you meet your end-of-month sales goals.

I can be reached via cell phone at XXXXXXX, home at XXXXXXX, or via email at XXXXXXX. I will respond to all missed calls/emails promptly.

Sincerely,
Old 07-13-10, 03:42 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

$300 under invoice is a great deal.
A $1000 under seems unbelieveable unless there was some market to dealer incentive.
A dealer that goes into their holdback for deals won't be in business long.

Lexus/Toyota holdback 2%.

Whsl. Financial Reserve 1%
Whsl. Financial Reserve is an initial cost to the dealer and then reimbursed after the sale. It is intended to cover the finance charges paid by the dealer to floor-plan the vehicle. If a dealer has a vehicle on the lot for greater than 90 days or does not own the vehicle outright then the Whsl. Financial Reserve reimbursed after sale will not cover their costs to have the vehicle on the lot.

Dealerer cost regional ad fee is $1171.
Destination fee $875.

Do a work up on a '10 RX 350.
On the price report page hit the 'Table' tab for true dealer cost and dealer fee breakdown and any market to dealer incentive which there isn't any at this time..

http://www.truecar.com

Last edited by Joeb427; 07-13-10 at 06:27 AM.
Old 07-13-10, 06:17 AM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lookyoung
2010 Lexus Rx 350 for a sticker price of 48,500. The dealer says that his invoice for the car is $43,757. He said a few days ago the best he could do was $500 over that. He calls today and he says he could do it for $43,857 which is $100 over invoice. The car includes

-comfort package
-Navigation
-AWD
-Premium package
-Tow prep package
-intuitive parking assist
-wood and leather trim steering wheel and shift.

Here are a few questions I have. part of the invocie has these charges.
-Remote engine start $225.00
-Accy pkg- which comes with Cargo net,Margo mat and wheel locks $232.00

Are these 2 above real or phony

These additional charges are also part of the invoice
TDA $585.00
DEALER HOLDBACK $780.00
whsl Financial reserve $390.00

Is this a good deal being that I knocked off close to $5000 dollars of the sticker price. I have not been to any dealers. When I go to the other dealers should I show them this quote or keep it quiet? What is your take?
if you are only responsible for $43,757 + tag + tax is a very good deal but if you have to tack on TDA, Dealer holdback, and financial reserve [never heard of this] for sum of $1775 = $45532 + tag + tax is not a good deal. Model you are looking at is the most popular RX meaning it is most common RX so it is easy to find RX with exact same features. ask them if they can do $45k out-the-door and you have a killer deal.
Old 07-14-10, 12:03 AM
hitechgs3t
Lead Lap

I just got my wife a 2010 rx350 awd with nav msrp is 47828 and I got it for 42195 that is 1000 below invoice here in pa
Old 07-14-10, 03:59 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by hitechgs3t
I just got my wife a 2010 rx350 awd with nav msrp is 47828 and I got it for 42195 that is 1000 below invoice here in pa
According to truecar.com,you seem to have done better than $1K under invoice.More like $1600 under and $900 under dealers cost.The invoice on that sticker price is $43874 and dealers cost is $43094.
I paid invoice and am amazed that an RX can somehow be bought for this cost.

Last edited by Joeb427; 07-14-10 at 04:03 AM.
Old 07-14-10, 07:09 AM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
According to truecar.com,you seem to have done better than $1K under invoice.More like $1600 under and $900 under dealers cost.The invoice on that sticker price is $43874 and dealers cost is $43094.
I paid invoice and am amazed that an RX can somehow be bought for this cost.
good time to buy any luxary vehicles/brand. Lexus is no exception and probably record breaking deals on any Lexus models.
Old 07-14-10, 07:20 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sightdev
good time to buy any luxary vehicles/brand. Lexus is no exception and probably record breaking deals on any Lexus models.
Slow selling models,yes.
It takes market to dealer incentives for sale prices like that and the pricing sites aren't showing any and they usually do.
The RX is selling very well.At this point Lexus isn't even offering any incentives on the RX.
A deal like that can maybe be made a month or two from now but months ago,probably not unless you know the dealer brass,are a Toyota employee,got beat on a trade in or bought a demo.

Last edited by Joeb427; 07-14-10 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-17-10, 05:47 PM
Lookyoung
Driver School Candidate

$43,757 was the invoice price with the dealer holdback, TDA, Whl financial Reserve. I know it's bs and I told the dealer about that and there response is we are entittled to a profit.

I visited 2 more dealers today!

The first dealer said he could sell me the car at invoice price of $43,757 but he didn't have the color combination my wife wanted but said that it wouldn't be a problem to get it in.

I didn't like that part of it and the dealer is 10 miles farther from my house than the first dealer! He said that he could save me more money at his dealer ship than the other ones I am going to go being that his dealership is in a different county and the tax rate there is 8% as opposed to 8.5% at the other dealerships.

To me this sounds like bs being that I thought the tax rate pertains to were you live and not were you purchase the car! He also said that he would personally drop off his loaner and take my car for service whenever I need it being that he lives close to my house! I believe He is just saying that being that he knows the first dealer is closer to my house!

The 2nd dealer I went to today I told them up front about my offers from other dealers! And that I got the invoice price of 43,757 and he immediatly went to his manager. He pulls the Rx up and the car he is trying to sell me has an MSRP of 48,125. Basically it is missing the remote start which has an msrp of 375.00 and invoice of 225.00!

They call the manager and he says what do I need to do to get your business today! He said that the remote start is nothing and they can install at his dealership and get me a loaner till than. He said it's easy to install and its a kit. The only thing is he wants me to do is put money down to buy the car today and says he will beat the invoice price by $500.00. The car will cost $43,257 and I will save $500 from my other 2 offers.

I am going to buy the car but I didn't like the way they pressured me! My wife told the manager she didn't like the way they do business and they couldn't give me a straight answer on the quote! The manager says that he recieved Lexus certificates which allows them to go under invoice and only has 22 of them available and if he sells those and we comeback by Friday than he can't keep the promise with the quote!

I didn't trust that dealer for some reason! I also didn't like the fact that the car wasn't ready with the automatic start and they would have to install it and that could take a few days after I purchase it!

A few questions is it easy to install the remote start? Is it really just a kit?

These are the quotes I got from 3 dealerships all MSRP of 48,500!

Dealer 1. 43,858 car in stock. $100 over inovice

Dealer 2. 43,757 car not in stock. Right at invoice

Dealer 3 43,257. $500 under invoice!

Do you guys think the 3rd dealer is bsing me or do they really have incentives to go under the invoice for a limited time! I am going back to other dealers and see if they can match the 3rd dealers price!
Old 07-18-10, 08:02 AM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

My advice would be to go with the dealer YOU are more comfortable with dealing with. The whole buying process is important. If you feel like you are being pressured, and are not comfortable with a certain dealership, then I would say paying another $500 for a $40k+ vehicle is worth it if the after-purchase service/treatment is great.

When I purchased my 450h, I felt NO pressure whatsoever. I decided to put a deposit on an incoming vehicle after negotiating a price I felt comfortable with.
The closer for me though was how I was treated overall. I wasn't "just another potential customer" walking in the door.

Either way, good luck with your decision. These are awesome vehicles, and I'm sure you will love it.
Old 07-18-10, 12:05 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

+1. Look at the dealer and see if they're the kind of place you want to deal with for the next few years. Which one listened to you, answered your questions and was professional? Did you check the service area? Meet with the service manager? I know you're trying to get the best price but I wouldn't get too caught up in it because you might not be happy in the end. Especially true if you don't get the color you want.

Lexus does go above and beyond. They will pick up your car and drop off a loaner. Or you can drive there and get a loaner. That's nothing unusual. It's fun driving different Lexus vehicles.

Remote start can be installed by the dealer or you can buy and install yourself. Same with glass breakage sensor Sewell has remote start for $240 before CL discount. http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...-2010-167.html Negotiate the cost into the deal. But before you do, do a search here to see if it's for you. It has its limitations.

I'd say the accessory package is overpriced considering the cargo mat only is included, not the all weather mats. You can get the cargo net and wheel locks from a place like Sewell or other CL vendors. Cargo mats well, everyone has their preference. You have time to find one you like before the bad weather sets in.

Right now Sewell has the mud flaps on sale for something like $54. I paid over $200 for mine. To get that price you have to register with them, very simple, and it'll give you the discount automatically.

It sounds like dealer 3 is out so I'd focus on the first two. I'm sure you'll figure it out. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Is this a good deal?