RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

seatbelt warning buzzer

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-10, 11:48 AM
6850mike
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seatbelt warning buzzer

Hi Fellow Members,

I am in the process of leasing a RX450H and was wondering if the seatbelt buzzer can be disables. I DO WEAR MY SEATBELT I just cannot stand the buzzer warnings.

2nd qustion, anyone have the bosy side molding on their RX and if so what are your opinion on them? Any PICS

Thanks
Old 07-26-10, 12:18 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 6850mike
side molding on their RX and if so what are your opinion on them? Any PICS
I'd recommend you get them. You never know if someone careless will swing their door open, let a shopping carriage go rolling or any other type of **** that happens in parking lots/garages. We decided to get them obviously.

I like how they look too,

Old 07-26-10, 04:05 PM
BlueSurf
Rookie

Where did you get the body side molding? It looks factory. Did the dealer put it on for you?
Old 07-27-10, 05:55 AM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueSurf
Where did you get the body side molding? It looks factory. Did the dealer put it on for you?
They were done by the dealer when we purchased the car. Took a few days for them to arrive at the dealership, they don't seem to stock them.
Old 07-27-10, 11:08 AM
6850mike
Driver School Candidate

Default seatbelt buzzer

ANY HELP ON THE SEATBELT BUZZER?

I am going with the side moldings, thanks for the info on that.
Old 07-27-10, 03:32 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The Lexus/Toyota seatbelt chime is a two stage warning. Both stages can be disabled, however the most any dealer will do is get rid of the second most annoying one. The first stage is a one-time warning when starting the car; it doesn't recur even when stepping out of the car momentarily with the engine still running.

Some dealers have been real dicks and refused to disable any part of the warnings due to some imaginary legal repercussions. Some others have been more compliant with their customers' requests and eliminated the two altogether. I had mine switch off the second, as I don't find the first too bad, and it would placate any fears that could arise. I believe the second most annoying alarm is a preemptive CYA aimed squarely at families with small children.
Old 07-27-10, 08:02 PM
6850mike
Driver School Candidate

Default seatbelt buzzer

I already asked the dealer and they will not do it. I just want to get rid or that secondary chimes you mentioned. Can someone provide me with the details on how to do that.
Old 07-27-10, 09:38 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Since you are in PA, the only advice I can suggest is to approach another more sympathetic dealer. It's a 10 minute exercise they could add to your next oil change - they hook up their laptop to the car's USB port, and deactivate it through the LPS menu. Complimentary if they'd like to see you again...
Old 07-29-10, 06:43 AM
6850mike
Driver School Candidate

Default seatbelt buzzer

is there a way I can do it without taking it to a dealer? I know when i had my GS the forum showed me how to do that car (don't remember now t was over a year ago)
Old 07-29-10, 07:17 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 6850mike
Hi Fellow Members,

I am in the process of leasing a RX450H and was wondering if the seatbelt buzzer can be disables. I DO WEAR MY SEATBELT I just cannot stand the buzzer warnings.

2nd qustion, anyone have the bosy side molding on their RX and if so what are your opinion on them? Any PICS

Thanks
Just wear the belt, it could just save your life.
Old 07-29-10, 12:06 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

I cannot validate this officially, however my service adviser informed me that once the seat belt warning is disabled, the ECU logs the event as though the seat belt was not worn at all (regardless of whether the belt was worn or not), so that in case of a severe accident, the manufacturer, could use this in Court in their defense.
Old 07-30-10, 04:31 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting stuff especially about the ECU log - never heard that before. There are a few other threads on this but I will throw out there one thought before everyone jumps all over the 'always wear your seatbelt' judgmental arguments.

I ALWAYS wear my seatbelt when I drive on the roads. I ALWAYS make my passengers wear them as well. No negotiation. I actually feel uncomfortable not wearing my seat belt.

Anyway - there is one reason that someone like me would want to remove the annoying reminder chime: I have a long driveway. I get out of my car at the bottom to get our mail. I hop back in my car and by the time I drive up the driveway, the garage door opens and I pull in to park the chime is crazy going nuts!

For that reason, and that reason alone (because getting our mail and driving up our driveway is a daily occurance except Sundays) I would like to get the second chime removed.

I agree, however, that if someone is trying to get it removed so they don't have to wear the seatbelt while driving on roads they should reconsider. That little chime could save your life!

Jay
Old 07-30-10, 06:47 AM
6850mike
Driver School Candidate

Default seatbelts

Guys Please read my initial thread

"I DO WEAR MY SEATBELT I just cannot stand the buzzer warnings".
I to have a long driveway and it is reasons like that I want to disable the secondary chimes.
Old 07-30-10, 11:32 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

I'm with you both; I abhor that second chime, "not the first" - I mean we're grownups aren't we? I've been wearing seatbelts religiously since the first time I spotted them in a car back in the early Sixties. Back then, people just buried them in the seat crease, but I always dug them out and wore them as they reminded me of flying in an airplane - back then they were identical to those.

Thanks for the annoyance, Nanny Toyota!
Old 07-31-10, 05:13 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry - didn't mean to hijack the thread with my comment but since this has been beaten to death on so many other threads I just wanted to avoid all of the people posting their 'lessons' about wearing your seat belt. It's good to point out, and they aren't wrong, but there are some legitimate reasons for not wanting to have that annoying chime!!!

I just figured you'd get better info if people focused on how they got the chime turned off and not an argument about the necessity of wearing seatbelts (shouldn't be an argument anyway but always seems to turn into one).

Cheers!

Jay

Quick Reply: seatbelt warning buzzer