RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

$350 for 15K Service???!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-11, 06:22 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2133
krypttic - thanks for posting the info you have. I live in Chandler and this information is most useful.

Does anyone know if purchasing a "service package" makes sense. For my Toyotas (1 Camry and 1 RAV4), $499 buys 7 services - 4 green, 2yellow and 1blue (or some combination like that) for 5K, 15k and 30 intervals.
LEX,

I called Chandler and asked if they would match the $235 price at Arrowhead. The service guy asked him manager and said no--unless I fax over a written estimate that itemizes all the work beforehand that Arrowhead will do for $235. I asked why would I go through the trouble of the written estimate if I could just go to Arrowhead and get it done for the same price...

If you call and ask the same question, I would be interested to hear the response. They may consider me an isolated idiot, but if another person calls with plans to service their Lexus elsewhere, they may budge on the price. Strength in numbers... I think the only difference in the two services is wiper blade replacement.

How close are you to the 15K service?

BTW, Chandler says they are having a special on upgrading the navigation software. They want $264 installed to do version 10.1. While this isn't cheap, it is $50-$100 less than the other valley Lexus dealers.
Old 01-14-11, 11:25 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Take it to the Toyota store and screw the Lexus service
Old 01-14-11, 06:15 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I took mine to the Toyota dealer closer to me last week. They charged $310, and that was because I declined the oil additives and fuel tank additives they had on their list.

No wiper blade changes. They also claim there are 2 filters - one they changed, one was fine, so they didn't.

Not a bad experience, but it was a bummer to not have it washed.

Sandi
Old 01-14-11, 11:32 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sandi_k
I took mine to the Toyota dealer closer to me last week. They charged $310, and that was because I declined the oil additives and fuel tank additives they had on their list.

No wiper blade changes. They also claim there are 2 filters - one they changed, one was fine, so they didn't.

Not a bad experience, but it was a bummer to not have it washed.

Sandi
$310 at Toyota??! It's less than that at Lexus! I have an appointment on Monday for $235 and that includes the wiper blades.

The two filters are the cabin (A/C) filter and the engine air filter. At 15K he cabin filter probably just needs to be cleaned unless you live somewhere dusty.
Old 01-14-11, 11:41 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cwd
If you look at the list of task at the 15000 mile maintenance, pretty much a high school kid can do it. All the instructions are on this forum.
Yes, I could do all of this myself. But here's whey I'm letting the dealer do it:
- I would have to order the air filters ($30 on Sewell)
- I would have to purchase brake and transmission fluid ($15 or so) and have it rot in my cupboard after I use just a little
- I would have to purchase the wiper blades ($25)

That's about $80 (including shipping) right there just for the parts/supplies.

- I want the piece of mind of a complete inspection and the knowledge that if something gets screwed up, the dealer will fix it. I would have no idea if a problem were staring me in the face if I had the vehicle up on a rack.
- Having a vehicle 100% dealer serviced gives you some pull if you need to address some out warranty issues later on. My wife had a power seat go bad on her Honda about 1,000 miles after the warranty ran out and they made an exception on charging for the repairs because we had all her work done there.
- I have some minor warranty items to take care of anyway (squeaky rear shock, iPod update for the radio)
- I want to have the dealer update my navigation software to 10.1 anyway

For $235, I don't think this is horrible--particularly since they will give me a rental car for the day.

I don't think I'd pay much more for this, but after calling around, I think this is a fair price.
Old 01-15-11, 07:26 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Krpttic, don't buy the transmission fluid because the tranny is sealed.
Old 01-15-11, 07:39 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by krypttic
Yes, I could do all of this myself. But here's whey I'm letting the dealer do it:
- I would have to order the air filters ($30 on Sewell)
- I would have to purchase brake and transmission fluid ($15 or so) and have it rot in my cupboard after I use just a little
- I would have to purchase the wiper blades ($25)

That's about $80 (including shipping) right there just for the parts/supplies.

- I want the piece of mind of a complete inspection and the knowledge that if something gets screwed up, the dealer will fix it. I would have no idea if a problem were staring me in the face if I had the vehicle up on a rack.
- Having a vehicle 100% dealer serviced gives you some pull if you need to address some out warranty issues later on. My wife had a power seat go bad on her Honda about 1,000 miles after the warranty ran out and they made an exception on charging for the repairs because we had all her work done there.
- I have some minor warranty items to take care of anyway (squeaky rear shock, iPod update for the radio)
- I want to have the dealer update my navigation software to 10.1 anyway

For $235, I don't think this is horrible--particularly since they will give me a rental car for the day.

I don't think I'd pay much more for this, but after calling around, I think this is a fair price.
Arrowhead Lexus is where I bought my RX. I think it's a great dealership and their service department does a nice job.

I had to have a tire repaired due to a nail. I have Chrome rims and was terrified of having them worked on. They plug and patch to be sure it is fixed. Not one mark on the rims.

Let me know how your experience goes.
Old 01-15-11, 11:43 AM
krypttic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MEP7557
Arrowhead Lexus is where I bought my RX. I think it's a great dealership and their service department does a nice job.

I had to have a tire repaired due to a nail. I have Chrome rims and was terrified of having them worked on. They plug and patch to be sure it is fixed. Not one mark on the rims.

Let me know how your experience goes.
I'm going to Chandler, since they are now matching the price. I live in Arcadia and work in Tempe, so Arrowhead was pretty far to go (although I would have gone there had Chandler not budged on the price).
Old 01-17-11, 06:48 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's your choice to use it or not. You can option to decline the whole service package and only choose the items you prefer to. For example, you don't have to take that $350 option, and you can tell your dealership what you like him to check and they will calculate the final price for you.

Remember the dealership service advisor/manager is just like the saleperson...
Old 01-18-11, 04:27 AM
k9shelly1
Driver

Originally Posted by rxets
It's your choice to use it or not. You can option to decline the whole service package and only choose the items you prefer to. For example, you don't have to take that $350 option, and you can tell your dealership what you like him to check and they will calculate the final price for you.

Remember the dealership service advisor/manager is just like the saleperson...
I never thought of that. It makes sense. A lot of the items can be replaced easily DIY (i.e. key fob batteries, filters, etc.) and the items can be purchased cheap on the internet.
Old 01-22-11, 07:12 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

$310 at Toyota??! It's less than that at Lexus!
Not in CA - Lexus is charging ~$375, and the Toyota dealer is 30 miles closer.

Sandi
Old 04-18-11, 03:30 PM
pasi
Driver School Candidate

Paid 99,81 today for 15K service. According the papers, they changed oil, filter and cabin air filter, which I thought they wouldn't. I got a loaner and car wash, vacuuming and mats cleaned as well.

Last edited by pasi; 04-18-11 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-18-11, 03:41 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pasi
Paid 99,81 today for 15K service. According the papers, they changed oil, filter and cabin air filter, which I thought they wouldn't. I got a loaner and car wash, vacuuming and mats cleaned as well.
I always wait until the services are done then pick up my car. A loaner means that they will give you another car to go somewhere (or go back to work) then return the loaner later when you pick up your car??? Never had a loaner before, An extra fee for it?
Old 04-18-11, 03:48 PM
euroja153
Driver

Originally Posted by sweetboy02
I always wait until the services are done then pick up my car. A loaner means that they will give you another car to go somewhere (or go back to work) then return the loaner later when you pick up your car??? Never had a loaner before, An extra fee for it?
Depends on the dealership. My dealer comes to my house to pick up my car and leaves me with an IS or ES then returns my car to my house and takes the loan car back. The loaner is free and I dont have to pay for the fuel Ive used.
Old 04-18-11, 09:29 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 232 Posts

Now that oil changes are every 10K miles, how can Lexus justify $350 for the 15K service. As far as I can tell, they only rotate the tires, clean the A/C filter, torque some nuts, fill up the fluids, replace the remote battery, and do a vehicle inspection.

Is this right? Or is my local dealer ripping me off? (I do live in Scottsdale, AZ so probably not the cheapest dealer around).
This is why I learned to do everything myself. Saves a ton of cash, and a lot of frustration, in the long run.

10,000 miles
oil change = $40 for oil plus $5 for filter and gaskets.

new AC Filter = $25
Tire Rotation = Free
torque some nuts = nobody does this
fill up the fluids = Free (brake fluid is not needed, electric power steering, coolant is always fine, washer fluid gets replenished when it's low, engine and gear oils get replaced when needed.)
remote battery = you do not need to replace it, it lasts a long time and plus it will give you a warning when it's low
vehicle inspection = Free

Quick Reply: $350 for 15K Service???!!