2023 RZ450e Sunroof Cracked

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-24, 09:35 PM
mariann04
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2023 RZ450e Sunroof Cracked

Hello
Has anyone ever heard of or know of the sunroof cracking on the RZ450e? I have 4000 miles on the vehicle and the sunroof cracked. I took it into Lexus and they are trying to claim it’s due to a rock hit. There’s no impact damage. I believe its defective should be replaced by Lexus.

Crack running down middle of window.
Old 04-19-24, 08:16 AM
argyros
2nd gear

From the images, it doesn't seem like the damage was caused by a rock impact. How do they justify their statement?
Old 04-19-24, 05:36 PM
imurrx
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kick it up the chain. Tell the dealership you want to speak to corporate. Don't stop until you get heard.
Old 04-22-24, 12:07 PM
mariann04
7th Gear

Default Lexus reply

They sent me what I think is a bogus picture from who know where of a spider crack they claim is the point of impact and voids the manufacture bumper to bumper warranty. This photo does not match my vehicle.

Last edited by mariann04; 04-22-24 at 12:11 PM. Reason: They stated I must use my vehicle insurance to fix this
Old 06-06-24, 08:02 AM
mariann04
7th Gear

Default Justify

Originally Posted by argyros
From the images, it doesn't seem like the damage was caused by a rock impact. How do they justify their statement?
They didn’t. Some BS about external damage voids warranty. They just said they would not fix it they sent me on my way. Recommend someone to fix for me because their service doesn’t do glass repairs. I have to use my comprehensive insurance. 🤬 still not fixed. Going round and round with insurance to find someone to fix my $9800 sunroof. I can’t believe it costs 1/6 the price of the car. This whole thing is ridiculous 🤦‍♀️

Last edited by mariann04; 06-06-24 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-17-24, 12:14 AM
roberttyron
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same issue

I just discovered crack on my 2023 RZ450e almost identical to yours. I will contact dealership tomorrow(Sacramento) and see what they say. I’m at 5,100 miles.
Old 06-20-24, 09:22 PM
anoop
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

Back when I had an issue with a brand new BMW windshield, the service guy said to run a ballpoint pen along the crack...if it is due to impact, you will get to a point where the pen hits the point of impact. You could try that and see if you can find a point of impact. That is probably what your dealer is referring to by sending you the picture--that they were able to find a point of impact.

If I had to guess, if it's impact related, the impact is probably near the very edge of the glass.
Originally Posted by mariann04
Going round and round with insurance to find someone to fix my $9800 sunroof. I can’t believe it costs 1/6 the price of the car. This whole thing is ridiculous 🤦‍♀️
Wow...just wow. It's sad that they put these kinds of features in the car and I agree it's ridiculous. Imagine when the car is 10 years old, you have to total it because of a crack in the roof!

Are you saying that insurance hasn't OK'ed the fix or that you're having trouble finding a shop that will fix it? It's possible the only place that can fix it is the dealer since this is such a new car and non-Lexus glass (which insurance companies like to use) may not be available.

Last edited by anoop; 06-20-24 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-21-24, 07:39 AM
roberttyron
3rd Gear

Default Update

I took the car to the dealership and we determined it was impact from a rock most likely that occurred at edge of the roof. I have glass coverage through insurance that will cover replacement with $0 deductible(I made sure to get this coverage when I purchased the vehicle just in case). Dealership will be working to get a shop to replace the glass as this is their first time having to do this.
The following users liked this post:
imurrx (06-25-24)
Old 06-24-24, 11:28 AM
mariann04
7th Gear

Finally got a call back from the insurance. They have a company to repair my window. It will have to replace the entire roof window not just the small window in front where the crack is. They forgot to order the seal around the window. So waiting on the part to begin the work. The scariest part of this whole thing is the dealer will NOT do the work. I have to go through my insurance. The only place in town that will touch this job is sketchy at best. I was nervous to take the vehicle there. They are a Hispanic tire repair shop. They said they are in the process of moving and this is one of their stores and will repair during the move. It will take 4 hours.

repair shop
Old 06-24-24, 11:31 AM
mariann04
7th Gear

Make sure they order a new seal for around the window. They forgot that step and I am still waiting for mine to be replaced.
Old 06-24-24, 11:59 AM
roberttyron
3rd Gear

Default 2023 RZ450e Sunroof Cracked

Make sure they order a new seal for around the window. They forgot that step and I am still waiting for mine to be replaced.
The reason why the whole glass needs to be replaced is because it is all one piece. If you look on top of the roof you can see that. If you’re looking from inside the vehicle it looks like two pieces but it’s not. The dealership can’t do the work on mine either but they are ordering the glass and will work directly with a local shop to repair.
Old 06-24-24, 02:12 PM
mariann04
7th Gear

Hopefully it will be fixed tomorrow (6-25-24) will keep you posted.
Old 06-25-24, 07:54 AM
mariann04
7th Gear

Rescheduled - technician had an emergency hopefully Wednesday.
Old 07-17-24, 12:04 PM
Misstata
3rd Gear

They didn’t. Some BS about external damage voids warranty. They just said they would not fix it they sent me on my way. Recommend someone to fix for me because their service doesn’t do glass repairs. I have to use my comprehensive insurance. 🤬 still not fixed. Going round and round with insurance to find someone to fix my $9800 sunroof. I can’t believe it costs 1/6 the price of the car. This whole thing is ridiculous 🤦‍♀️
I had a similar experience with my rear window behind the driver's seat. They refused to cover the cost of replacing my window. I'm currently seeking legal assistance because my rear window shattered while I was driving. This is clearly a manufacturing defect, and we shouldn't be held responsible for it.

Last edited by Misstata; 07-17-24 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-17-24, 12:47 PM
Misstata
3rd Gear

I am actually looking to file a lawsuit. Can you send me your info?

Quick Reply: 2023 RZ450e Sunroof Cracked