SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Anyone ever replace the stock SC steering wheel with a supra one?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-03, 09:10 PM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever replace the stock SC steering wheel with a supra one?

Did a search for *supra steering wheel* and could not find anything. Has anyone performed this mod? I know the supra wheel is smaller in diameter and has a thicker rim and IMO looks better than the stock wheel on the SC's. Im just wondering if the cruise control and the airbag are all a bolt-on affair?

Thanks
-john-

Last edited by MrJohnTan; 10-28-03 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-28-03, 09:14 PM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

here's an example.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone ever replace the stock SC steering wheel with a supra one?-supra.jpg  
Old 10-29-03, 12:44 AM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess it's just a matter of opinion, but mine is that it doesn't look too much better than the stock SC steering wheel. Most Supra owners upgrade to the 98 style steering wheel which is three spoke, instead of the 93-97 steering wheel you have shown in that picture. I'm not sure of the difficulty in changing it, but IMO it isn't worth it. The Lexus steering wheel feels more umm.. luxurious? than the Supra steering wheel. When I drive my Supra, the small diameter steering wheel makes me feel like I'm driving a kitcar or something.

-Brian.
Old 10-29-03, 05:35 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I am not mistaking Manaray swapped his SC wheel out for a GS or RX wheel.
He posted about it some time ago.
Old 10-29-03, 01:31 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the supra one smaller?

The size of my steering wheel is starting to annoy me.
Old 10-29-03, 01:50 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by verylost
Is the supra one smaller?

The size of my steering wheel is starting to annoy me.
ditto that.. if the supra wheel is smaller and it's relatively bolt on I'm there
Old 10-29-03, 02:29 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

odd.... i like the larger wheel. smaller wheels make the car feel average and the larger wheel is easier to turn and hold.
Old 10-29-03, 03:26 PM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

As for me, I think the lexus steering wheel is too luxurious. I picked up this car to "drive" it. I personally am going for that "kicar" feeling.

Rather than spending $800+ on a TRD steering wheel, I think a cheaper alternative would be to perform this swap. Manaray ran into problems with installing the cruise control and airbag from the newer 3 spoke lexus wheel. On his thread, he never stated whether he got the airbag working or not?? The supra ran in very similar production years as the SC so I'm hoping this is a bolt-on affair.

The Supra wheel is definately smaller than the stock steering wheel. Plus the rim of the wheel itself is thicker in diameter, giving me a better grasp. In my experience, smaller wheels give me more control of the car. I guess its just a matter of preference.

Im gonna pick up the same steering wheel pictured this weekend. Im gonna play with it and let you guys know what I come up with.
Old 10-29-03, 03:38 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by MrJohnTan
As for me, I think the lexus steering wheel is too luxurious. I picked up this car to "drive" it. I personally am going for that "kicar" feeling.

Rather than spending $800+ on a TRD steering wheel, I think a cheaper alternative would be to perform this swap. Manaray ran into problems with installing the cruise control and airbag from the newer 3 spoke lexus wheel. On his thread, he never stated whether he got the airbag working or not?? The supra ran in very similar production years as the SC so I'm hoping this is a bolt-on affair.

The Supra wheel is definately smaller than the stock steering wheel. Plus the rim of the wheel itself is thicker in diameter, giving me a better grasp. In my experience, smaller wheels give me more control of the car. I guess its just a matter of preference.

Im gonna pick up the same steering wheel pictured this weekend. Im gonna play with it and let you guys know what I come up with.
ditto.

didn't supra TT's also come with 3 spoke steering wheel?
Old 10-29-03, 03:53 PM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by VSsc400
ditto.

didn't supra TT's also come with 3 spoke steering wheel?
Yep, 1 yr only... 1998. Almost impossible to find.

Last edited by MrJohnTan; 10-29-03 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-29-03, 03:57 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

hmmmm gotta get my hands on a 98 steering wheel...
Old 10-29-03, 04:46 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Definitley a fan of the smaller wheel. Drove my friends '04 M3 and that wheel is absolutely TINY compared to the SC. More responsive at that size and when I got back into the SC it felt like i was driving a bus. I know they're not similar cars, but like MrJohnTan said, if its going to be a drivers car, you should at least have drivers controls.

James
Old 10-29-03, 04:56 PM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

If you want the stock 98 steering wheel from the Supra, but can't find it, an alternative would be the steering wheel from a 2000+ Celica. I heard it fits into the Supra with just minor modifications. I'm not sure about how it would fit and install in a SC though.

-Brian.
Old 10-29-03, 05:08 PM
JMSxAP1
Driver School Candidate

I can see why he would choose this option.

It really depends on how much money you are getting the steering wheel for. From what he told me, it's an extremely good buy since it comes with an airbag. Sure there are better steering wheels out there, but they are 4 times the price of what he is going to pay.

The stock wheel is too much of a "touring" type of steering wheel imo. I mean, it's a "Sports Coupe" not a bus, not a LS400/430.

Besides, it is much easier to receive a hummer while driving with a smaller steering wheel.

Last edited by JMSxAP1; 10-29-03 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-29-03, 09:53 PM
whiteSc3
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a stearing wheels off a supra in my 93' Sc, yes it easily bolts up and in my opinion the black wheel looks alot better than the brown on the light interior sc's.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever replace the stock SC steering wheel with a supra one?