SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Here's how much SC and Supra Seats Weigh

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-03, 11:18 AM
Buttercup
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here's how much SC and Supra Seats Weigh

The 92' sc300's power non-heat leather DRIVER side weighs in at .............. 71lbs, including brackets and headrest.
The power non-heat leather PASSENGER side @ 59 lbs,

A 94' Supra TT leather DRIVER's seat with power tilt/slide weighs 49 lbs w/ brackets.
The PASSENGER side without any power weighs 37 lbs.

I leave the math to you.

My experiences with the swap:
-Taking off the original seats are hard. The seat track has four covers; three of them there are little tabs, you have to take a screwdriver and somehow pull the tab outward.
-Bolts right on
-It lowers up up to ~3 inches but minimum of about 1 inch from stock seats.
-My build of 140 lbs and seats hug me perfectly. My waist is 32. My friend is 200 lbs and I'll see how he reacts to the seat.
-The tan color of supra is more brown than the tan of my sc (maybe my interior is gray...)
-Since I've been lower an inch or two the 5-speed shifter is relatively taller now. Shifts feel awkward.
-Driving seems faster now that I've been lowered.
-The headrest I don't know how to adjust. It's on the bottom mark right now and the top of the headrest is about 1.5 inches above my ear (I'm 5'9")

-I screwed up and found out I didn't get the seat belt buckles...yet. I took the buckles off my sc seats and they fit to some extent (they don't have the full range of motion). However, there's a wire that connects to the buckle and I think it's part of the so called "ALR/ELR"
http://www.summitmotors.com.au/faq.jsp
What are ALR/ELR seat belts?
ELR, or emergency locking restraint retractors allow belt motion under normal driving conditions, with stop belt motion during abrupt decelerations. ALR/ELR retractors include both an ELR and an ALR, or automatic locking restraint mode that locks the belt at all times. Seat belts in the ELR mode allow passengers to move freely and only lock on the event of an impact. Seat belts in the ALR mode remain locked at all times to facilitate the use of child safety seats.
So I'm guessing that the wire from the buckle plays a role in the restraining thing. I looked in the electrical diagrams and the wire leads to a diode that does something and then to the seat's ecu. The supra doesn't have an ecu...so....I looked at the supra specs and they also have ALR/ELR so I don't know. I yank the seat belt quickly and it locks in place so I hope most of the safety is still there.

Last edited by Buttercup; 11-09-03 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-08-03, 11:33 AM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

someone on this board just replaced their seats with supra seats, maybe they would be so kind as to weigh the driver's seat?
Old 11-08-03, 06:22 PM
Buttercup
Pole Position

Does anyone know how to tilt the headrest on the supra seats? I see a tab on the headrest but I don't know how to adjust it.
Old 11-09-03, 04:38 PM
Buttercup
Pole Position

*update*
Old 11-09-03, 05:10 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Driver's seat mod

I was giving some thought to how some Supra seats might be better for cornering,and then remembered how broke I was(am),and decided to do something I'd done before on a couple other cars with less than perfect (for me) seats.
I started by removing the driver's seat,placing it upside down on the carpet,then un-hooking the four springs that hold up the "butt plate".
After that I pulled back the plate,and trimmed off an inch of the foam in that entire area,and also trimmed a little towards the front of the seat as well.Then I bent the sheetmetal just where the hog rings are attached on either side of the seat bottom,towards the floor,to allow for the leather to conform a little better to the new,lower surface,or at least not to hover,float loosely.
Putting the springs all back was a bit of a struggle but not too bad if you do the ones toward the front of the seat first.

Then I took the panel off the back of the seat;note that it's a very frail piece.Next I tack welded a piece of flat bar across the seat frame just above a very visible spring that extends from the lumbar mechanism.Two 1/8" inch rivets would also work.
Then I took a couple of old pot holders from the kitchen(how many of those things do you really need anyways?),folded them twice,and stuffed two of them on either side between the frame and the existing foam, just above the flat bar, to add some more side bolstering firmness just below your armpits.I then dug around,carefully,under the foam beneath where I had attached the flat bar,and found a spring that I could attach some decent zip-ties around it and the flatbar, in two places, about six inches apart to suck that center panel down(rearwards) a bit.
Then I put it all back together and jacked my seat back panel trying to get the clips to engage

In the end,while it's not as good as the recaro sport seats from my old car,it made a big difference considering that it was basically free,or a couple hours messing around . I now sit lower in the seat,which puts the side bolsters on the back of the seat in a better place for support, as well as emphasizing the lower side bolsters. Also keeps my uncut hair off the ceiling panel,which is real nice in this dry weather(static electricity is a bummer).I weigh around 170, have a feeling that the seats were maybe designed for a heavier person perhaps.
Old 11-11-03, 12:01 AM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Buttercup
Does anyone know how to tilt the headrest on the supra seats? I see a tab on the headrest but I don't know how to adjust it.
the supras seats cannot be adjusted that tap is supposed to somehow let you take off the headrest. theres a thread on .wwwsupraforums.com. ill try to find it for you
Old 11-11-03, 12:09 AM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...light=headrest

theres a thread about headrest removal.
Old 11-11-03, 06:05 PM
Buttercup
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info wolverine. I'm sure this info will come in handy.