SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What do I do now? (2JZ-GTE VVT-i Swap)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-03 | 09:18 AM
tinman
Intermediate

Thumbs down What do I do now? (2JZ-GTE VVT-i Swap)

Well, I tried. After months of searching for a 2JZ-GTE motor to swap into my SC 300, I found one that looked perfect. It was the VVT-i model from Japan, but I thought (and still do think) that I could control it with an AEM EMS. The eBay auction listed the mileage as 35K (but don't they all?) but there were compression tests listed and the motor looked pretty good and complete. So, I did it, I bought the motor.

It was for sale by Midwest Engine Sales, eBay name Zave2000. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2436314598) After some e-mails back and forth, I concluded that the best option for shipping would be for him to ship it into Elgin, IL and a friend and I would drive in and get it. So I did just that. I sent the money via PayPal and the motor was shipped the next day to a trucking company docks in Elgin.

It was late by the time we got back home after picking it up so the motor spent a few days in my buddy's garage before we did some testing. When we finally took it apart the next Saturday we discovered the motor was completely destroyed. ALL of the oil was coked and the turbos didn't spin freely at all... in fact they are pretty hard to spin. There is burnt, coked oil all over this engine -- the cams are a real mess and the oil is blacker than i've ever seen before. The serpentine belt looks like it’s been exposed to high head for a long duration and on top of that, the compression test was faked. On the compression test tag that was supposed to be for the motor showed good compression all the way across. With 1 and 3 being the lowest at about a 6% difference in pressure -- perfectly ok to work with.
Their test looked something like this: (psi)
1: 150
2: 160
3: 155
4: 160
5: 161
6: 160
Not bad, huh?

My Compression tests looked something like this:

1: 151
2: 159
3: 149
4: 161
5: 80
6: 125

At first I thought that my readings were off. But I did the test again and confirmed my results. Looks like he told the truth about cylinders 1-4 because those were good, but 5 and 6 are a different story. I also found some heavy weight motor oil (at least, I think it was) in the plug holes for 5 and 6( note that I did not find it for 1-4). It looks like they sprayed some oil into the chamber to try and get the compression up... but when that failed they just lied.

How do I know it failed you might ask? Easy! Leak down! We pressurized 1 through 4 to 60 to 100 psi... all is well. Nothing unexpected to report. There was some leaking around the rings, but it wasn’t much at all. Then we got to number 5.... up the air pressure went to 60 psi... then a strange sound. Air was coming out of the intake AND the exhaust. Looks like the valves were not seating correctly. Ok... well that sucks. Moving on to number 6. Hooked the air hose up to number 6... up to 60 psi.... even stranger sound. I put my hand down by the plug hole to see if maybe we didn't seal the air hose correctly when much to my amazement air was coming OUT of cylinder 5! Now it looks like either the valves are not seating correctly and there is a gasket blown, or the back of the head is totally warped. It certainly looks like this motor suffered a slow and painful death with all that coked oil coursing through its veins.

I've got pictures of this cams and motor at http://www.nilesedge.org/gallery/10-02-03. Suffice it to say, this motor looks destroyed.

If you folks have any idea what I can do with it now (or a good lawyer in the Cleveland, OH area?) I'd be more than pleased to hear it. This motor was advertised as ready for swap on eBay, but I think it’s pretty useless without some major work.

I've talked to eBay and paypal... no help there.

Word to the wise: Placing money in escrow is good.
Old 11-15-03 | 09:23 AM
tinman
Intermediate

make that link http://www.nilesedge.org/gallery/10-02-03
Old 11-15-03 | 10:08 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Wow. Sorry to hear that.

I'm not a lawyer, but I would recommend you figure out what the problem is exacly. Then call the place and complain. If complaining doesn't work, then get a lawyer. You have to get all the evidence you can before making any accusations.

If you need a motor it is a good idea to buy it from a someone you know. I ordered my clip from a well known place. Hopefully nothing like this happens.

Chris

Last edited by DIrEctQL; 11-15-03 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-15-03 | 12:32 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

be calm and rational and professional to the seller and let them know you mean business and be stern but NICE. if a request for refund fails, give them the number to your lawyer or tell them you will return the lawyers number shortly.

If you **** them off it only makes things worse, usually someone who acts professional and stays level headed ends up intimidating the seller making it look like the situation is all under control and in the buyers favor. This makes the seller more unsettled and can lead to a refund before any exchange of $$ is passed between your hands and your lawyer.

Time is of the essence, do it now, do it fast. Get the ball rolling, and sue him for the lawyers fee's as an incurred expense. this shouldnt cost you anything.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 11-15-03 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-15-03 | 01:31 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by O. L. T.
be calm and rational and professional to the seller and let them know you mean business and be stern but NICE. if a request for refund fails, give them the number to your lawyer or tell them you will return the lawyers number shortly.

If you **** them off it only makes things worse, usually someone who acts professional and stays level headed ends up intimidating the seller making it look like the situation is all under control and in the buyers favor. This makes the seller more unsettled and can lead to a refund before any exchange of $$ is passed between your hands and your lawyer.

Time is of the essence, do it now, do it fast. Get the ball rolling, and sue him for the lawyers fee's as an incurred expense. this shouldnt cost you anything.
I higly doubt asking the guy to call your lawyer is smart. After all, you're the side that is complaining why would he be interested in calling the lawyer. Simply tell the seller what you found and try to work things out. Don't even say you want to return it or anything as such. Simply wait for his solution to the problem. If you don't agree with his solution let him know. If he persists then say you will get back to them and call your lawyer.

Chris
Old 11-15-03 | 01:41 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

This is the proper way to handle the case. You are not asking him to call your lawyer, you are providing him with a number incase he needs to confirm you indeed do have a lawyer that is seeking a case number. it is poopie-ganda. (as i like to call it)

it's the way it works. lawyers always advise you to diminish contact with the other party and let the lawyer handle it. thats why you pay for a lawyer in the first place. Thats what a lawyer will tell you to do.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 11-15-03 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-15-03 | 03:01 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

He's correct, whenever one of my policy holders informs me they have a legal representative we deal directly with that person only.
Old 11-15-03 | 03:18 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by O. L. T.
This is the proper way to handle the case. You are not asking him to call your lawyer, you are providing him with a number incase he needs to confirm you indeed do have a lawyer that is seeking a case number. it is poopie-ganda. (as i like to call it)

it's the way it works. lawyers always advise you to diminish contact with the other party and let the lawyer handle it. thats why you pay for a lawyer in the first place. Thats what a lawyer will tell you to do.
Yes, but this is providing he has a lawyer. Which he doesn't. I am simply saying he calls the person, tells him what's wrong with the engine and listens to what the person says (how he offers to settle the problem, if he offers one). Based on the answer, decide wether to get the lawyer or not. It's cheaper that way.

Chris

PS. Make sure you listen, don't say anything.
Old 11-15-03 | 03:34 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally posted by DIrEctQL
Yes, but this is providing he has a lawyer. Which he doesn't. I am simply saying he calls the person, tells him what's wrong with the engine and listens to what the person says (how he offers to settle the problem, if he offers one). Based on the answer, decide wether to get the lawyer or not. It's cheaper that way.

Chris

PS. Make sure you listen, don't say anything.
I'm with you chris, thats why i say:

if a request for refund fails, give them the number to your lawyer or tell them you will return the lawyers number shortly.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 11-15-03 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-15-03 | 03:39 PM
Letsride

Question

Tinman I am sorry about your misfortune but did you review his feedback on Ebay? I notice he has a cople of neutrals and 5 negs. Start now and document everything that you have found. Take pics (and lots of them).

Hopefully this guy will do the right thing.
Old 11-15-03 | 09:57 PM
tinman
Intermediate

Originally posted by Letsride
Tinman I am sorry about your misfortune but did you review his feedback on Ebay? I notice he has a cople of neutrals and 5 negs. Start now and document everything that you have found. Take pics (and lots of them).

Hopefully this guy will do the right thing.
His feedback was awesome. He has 1200 feedback listings and only 5 were bad... and none of those 5 were in the last 6 months. Of course, I left my feedback for him too as positive before I ran these tests on the motor and eBay will not remove the feedback I gave.

I've already called him twice and sent 2 e-mails. He's never responded to any of my e-mails after I reported the problem and when I called him he hid behind "no warranty". His entire business model seems to be luck-of-the-draw. Sometimes you get a good motor, some times you don't. Tough. He's not willing to work with me at all. As far as he's considered... Game Over. I've already sent him an "intent to file suit" notice started gathering papers for court proceedings.
Old 11-16-03 | 12:43 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

if you really want to play dirty, email all the people that bid on any of his auctions and email them your story. That should hurt him in the wallets.
Old 12-11-03 | 10:28 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

3 weeks later is there an update or are you not allowed to discuss the case? Assuming that you sued him.
Old 12-11-03 | 12:04 PM
tinman
Intermediate

Originally posted by Inabj2
3 weeks later is there an update or are you not allowed to discuss the case? Assuming that you sued him.
I called the President of Midwest Engine Sales, Herbert, and he was not willing to speak with me. I did manage to get on the phone with him, but I didn't get 2 words in before he shuffled me off the phone. I was hoping to each an agreement before I filed suit, but... no such luck.

I filed suit on November 24th. Court date is Jan 6th.
Old 12-11-03 | 12:05 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

good luck, let us know the outcome.

Quick Reply: What do I do now? (2JZ-GTE VVT-i Swap)