SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Anyone have pics of main O2 sensor replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-03, 12:37 AM
jacobking
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone have pics of main O2 sensor replacement?

I found after reading many threads that it's the main O2 sensor(s)? I need to replace. Anyone have pics, or can tell me how to get to them? I got a code 25 on my 92 SC400. Thanks! Where can I get them cheap (I checked on butoxygensensors.com and they have the walker universals for 49, but I was lookin for a universal NGK, denso or Bosch). Thanks!
Old 12-03-03, 06:12 AM
LexusBiz
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Jacobking,

I just replaced both main O2 sensors last week. Did not take a picture, but can try to explain the location. Once you get the car in the air and get under the engine it is easy to locate the sensors. The sensors are in the exhaust manifold on both sides of the eingine.

Just follow the cat converter piping going to the engine, you will see both O2 sensors in the manifold area. You can see them from underneath the car. Trying to remember off the top of my head, once underneath the car, right past the lower control arm and before the engine cross member bar, you should see a little cavity opening that will allow you to reach up to the sensors.

The sensor on the LH (Driver) side was easy to access and easy to remove with a open end wrench (22 or 24mm if I can remember correctly). The passenger side sensor (RH) is a little harder to get too, I ended up removing a small metal plate (4"x4") that allowed me to get my hands and tool into the cavity. I was not able to use the wrench on the passenger side sensor, it was too cramped to get the wrench in there and get a good seating with the wrench. I ended borrowing a friends O2 sensor wrench socket to get the sensor out, I had to cut the sensor wires off the end of the sensor in order to get the socket to seat properly on the sensor. After a few tugs and curse words the sensor finally came loose.

I sprayed penetrating lubricant on both sensor threads about 1hour prior to removing them. I also had to spray them right before I worked on them. Being a 13 year old car and the conditions the sensors live through, you'll have to nudge and yank on them to get them loose.

I got the OEM sensors from Lexus.

Hope that helps

LexusBiz