SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

So who here REALLY drives their car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-04, 06:15 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So who here REALLY drives their car?

Anyone ever take their SC to a road race event or even auto-x? I'm coming from a 350hp MR2 that i raced on a somewhat regular basis. Pretty fun stuff. I'm getting my white 5sp soon (crosses fingers that no one jacks my deal) and after doing some basic maintenance... will probably auto-x in it's stock form to get a feel for how the car handles.

Then again... I might not do anything because it's about time i get a nice car and JUST LEAVE IT ALONE....

(right like that'll ever happen with me)
Old 01-07-04, 06:45 PM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

350hp MR2? what setup did you have? I also came from an MR2 that put out ~350 to the wheels. I now have a SC300 5 sp. Im not really into the autox or the road race scene. I would definately have picked a different car for that. Im more into drifting. I havent taken it to the track yet, im still working on my driving as well as some power upgrades....

good luck on getting the SC

btw, you have any pics of the MR2?

Last edited by MrJohnTan; 01-07-04 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-07-04, 07:50 PM
hwallen172
Driver

I would think that the long wheel base of the SC and its forward weight distribution would make it handle very differently than the MR2. I'd love to have an MR2 as a second car. They look like loads of fun to drive, but they're not very practical as your only vehicle.

Mr. John Tan: Nice job on the new avatar. If you've got some kind of secret, tell me. I promise I'll keep it to myself.
Old 01-07-04, 08:50 PM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by hwallen172
I would think that the long wheel base of the SC and its forward weight distribution would make it handle very differently than the MR2. I'd love to have an MR2 as a second car. They look like loads of fun to drive, but they're not very practical as your only vehicle.

Mr. John Tan: Nice job on the new avatar. If you've got some kind of secret, tell me. I promise I'll keep it to myself.
LOLZ..... i just tell them i drive an SC300

MR2s are fun to drive, but reliability sucks when you start to make a lot of power. Labor on a MR car is noooo fun either. I had an 86 corolla GTS as a daily driver when I had the MR2. The non-turbo cars are great for SCCA stuff, but I would think the turbo spool on a turbo car would lead to unpredictable handling at the limits. I never took my MR2 to an autox course, just the dragstrip
Old 01-07-04, 10:13 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

cool! i thought i was the only one from the mr2 crowd...

well lets see... when i was into drag and the whole power thing... i had a 2nd gen JDM motor swapped in along with a custom modified TD06 turbo with a 25G wheel in it. Along with everything that was needed to run the 350ish HP range ie fuel upgrades, cooling, clutch, etc...

then i started having issues about daily driving it so i got into the whole auto-x and drifting thing, in which then i sold my setup for a 3rd gen 3sgte with the ct20b and just did BPU. I was really happy with this setup because the car was very fast, did what i wanted it to do on and off the track, and it was reliable enough for me to drive it everyday.

as for pics... http://www14.brinkster.com/ummagawd/index.htm and click on the first picture up top... unfortunately those are the only pics i've got cuz the whole portfolio i made went away when my previous computer crashed and HD died.

An mr2 is a very fun car to drive... I do understand the difference between FR and MR setups... I've already contemplated that the SC3 won't be as fun in auto-x, and like JohnTan... i'm also into drifting... but in order to do so... i would need to learn the car's handling characteristics and the best way for that is at a auto-x event since they are more frequent than drift day events.

P.S. an mr2 being practical would probably be more subjective to who is behind the wheel. I'd imagine a college student without a family or a job that requires bringing home groceries (which i've done) all the time would find it a practical car
Old 01-08-04, 02:07 AM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

Nice car ummagawd. Im loving the old school revs. Here's some pics of my car http://hometown.aol.com/wizdomfoelife

I had the 2nd gen JDM motor in there as well. I wanted to make gobs of power at first so I played with a TO4X turbo (XS engineering spec), trunk mount I/C and a trueleo intake manifold, but the lag was just too crazy for me. Funny thing is that I dont have any pics of that setup because my HD crashed as well. So I sold that setup and went with the Greddy T67, IC, supra injectors, and ran the old school piggy back ECU setup. Pretty much everything I had is listed on that page.

I sold it a couple of years ago because things kept breaking on me. I would fix one thing and another thing would go bad until I got sick of it. It was a 11 year old car and had over 180K on the odometer. When it was running right, it was so fun to drive. I do miss the power/weight ratio of that car, although I do have bigger and better things planned for the SC
Old 01-08-04, 02:09 PM
JKAG
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To answer your original question.

The SC300 can be great on the road track. You can see what I have done and the car seems very balanced. I think the most critical has been the Tokico/Eibachs and the tt brakes.

If your at a fast track (for me Road America) watch out for brake pads. Even with the supra tt brakes, EBC redstuff could not handle the heat. My next mod. is brake cooling ducts and I'll be trying Carbotech panther plus pads

I have supra sway bars but I have never put them on the car as it seems so well balanced as is.

I get passed by turbo'ed cars on the straights and catch many in the twisties.

I did one autox (without my R compound tires) and just spun my tires a lot. But in any case once at autox was enough for me with ~10 minutes driving in an 8 hour day. I'll stick to DE events where I can get 2-4 hours on the track in a day. I generally go to Audi club events, around here they are very open to non-audi drivers and nationally are oriented to introducing people to high speed driving. They have events at Thunderhill in January, in February at Laguna Seca and one at Sears Point in November.

Final comment FWIW. Hold off on getting R compound tires. They stick so well it makes it harder to learn to drive well.

Jon
Old 01-08-04, 05:30 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

unlike the mr2, the SC's aren't made for any special racing. they are fast luxury sports cars. i don't do any "special" driving with my sc, i do however with my 325i tuner.
Old 01-08-04, 05:32 PM
AzLex
Lead Lap

Originally posted by MrJohnTan
Nice car ummagawd. Im loving the old school revs. Here's some pics of my car http://hometown.aol.com/wizdomfoelife

I had the 2nd gen JDM motor in there as well. I wanted to make gobs of power at first so I played with a TO4X turbo (XS engineering spec), trunk mount I/C and a trueleo intake manifold, but the lag was just too crazy for me. Funny thing is that I dont have any pics of that setup because my HD crashed as well. So I sold that setup and went with the Greddy T67, IC, supra injectors, and ran the old school piggy back ECU setup. Pretty much everything I had is listed on that page.

I sold it a couple of years ago because things kept breaking on me. I would fix one thing and another thing would go bad until I got sick of it. It was a 11 year old car and had over 180K on the odometer. When it was running right, it was so fun to drive. I do miss the power/weight ratio of that car, although I do have bigger and better things planned for the SC
Dang alot of former mr2 onwers on this board. I used to have a blk/blk 93T with a bunch of mods.

Anyways I used to drool over your SMG car everytime I saw pics of it. If you don't mind how much did you let it go for?

Last edited by AzLex; 01-08-04 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-08-04, 07:20 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

whoa.... i guess there really is alot of former mr2 owners here.

yea i feel ya on the fixing one thing and another thing breaks cycle.... that's why i ditched the 2nd gen big turbo setup for the stock 3rd gen. The stock 3rd gen with BPU was plenty fast enough for me for road courses. Dude... do you remember me? I called you for your mr2 a long time ago back when i was still looking for one. HAHA what a small world.

anyways... back to the original topic.... i figured the SC300 wasn't made to do anything spectacular on the track... except maybe go sideways in style which is perfectly fine with me... it's about time i learned how to drive sideways anyways

i'm just hoping nobody snags my deal
Old 01-08-04, 07:54 PM
2JZSoarer
Pole Position

well..I have a SC300 5sp....everything stock except for a slap-on filter...my brakes sucks...have air in there with old oil and old pad...I just didn't change and bleed them yet...aa..tires....V-rated suck-*** tires...bottom line...stock .....and I was cruising with my brother and my buddies...we weren't racing...we were just doing spirit driving...it's where we cruise or stay around the same speed ...and just drive around...my town got some pretty good corners...too bad they are within neighborhoods....we didn't plan to haul-*** or speed...but we were doing a comfortable speed .....anyway..I was crusing with a 240(w LOTS of susp. work done and basic bolt-on), 03 Miata(stock w/ intake exhaust), 90 FC (stock basic bolt-on)...and I hang with them...maybe it's driver..and I guess they were scare of spinning out b/c the FC spun out once right infront of me....but the 240 was the leader (one brave man...left the Miata and FC behind , slowign me donw in a way in corners..)...and I am the last one in the cruise....being heaviest...but I had fun with them cornering cars....

but for now...my SC isn't a good cornering car compare to them ....and if my buddies have more experience on those roads...I think I'll be left in the dust....and about SC in SCCA auto-X.....I wonder what else cars will be in my class....
Old 01-08-04, 07:56 PM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by AzLex
Dang alot of former mr2 onwers on this board. I used to have a blk/blk 93T with a bunch of mods.
Anyways I used to drool over your SMG car everytime I saw pics of it. If you don't mind how much did you let it go for?
Thanks man!... I let it go for 12K and I kept the rims which are on my SC now.

Dude... do you remember me? I called you for your mr2 a long time ago back when i was still looking for one. HAHA what a small world.
lol, that was so long ago, i doubt ill remember. but good luck on the sc! its a totally different feel compared to the MR2. it will take a much bigger money tree to get the speed and handling of the car up to the level we want it to be in.....

Last edited by MrJohnTan; 01-08-04 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-08-04, 10:14 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by ummagawd
cool! i thought i was the only one from the mr2 crowd...

well lets see... when i was into drag and the whole power thing... i had a 2nd gen JDM motor swapped in along with a custom modified TD06 turbo with a 25G wheel in it. Along with everything that was needed to run the 350ish HP range ie fuel upgrades, cooling, clutch, etc...

then i started having issues about daily driving it so i got into the whole auto-x and drifting thing, in which then i sold my setup for a 3rd gen 3sgte with the ct20b and just did BPU. I was really happy with this setup because the car was very fast, did what i wanted it to do on and off the track, and it was reliable enough for me to drive it everyday.

as for pics... http://www14.brinkster.com/ummagawd/index.htm and click on the first picture up top... unfortunately those are the only pics i've got cuz the whole portfolio i made went away when my previous computer crashed and HD died.

An mr2 is a very fun car to drive... I do understand the difference between FR and MR setups... I've already contemplated that the SC3 won't be as fun in auto-x, and like JohnTan... i'm also into drifting... but in order to do so... i would need to learn the car's handling characteristics and the best way for that is at a auto-x event since they are more frequent than drift day events.

P.S. an mr2 being practical would probably be more subjective to who is behind the wheel. I'd imagine a college student without a family or a job that requires bringing home groceries (which i've done) all the time would find it a practical car
Nice looking MR2 ummagawd... GL with the SC and keep us posted...

Shawn
Old 01-08-04, 10:15 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by MrJohnTan

Same to you MrJohnTan, Nice looking MR2

Shawn
Old 01-09-04, 12:29 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

thanks shawn.. will do will do

i'm just waiting on a smog certificate before my buddy can get the loan to buy my mr2.. in which I can then get my SC.... i just hope no one snipes me.... everyone pray for me

i really want to join the secret lexus society

Quick Reply: So who here REALLY drives their car?