SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

would anyone do this on the sc (lamborghini scissor type doors)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-04, 10:17 AM
Din
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by qmtran
haha.....sorry to say but, good luck searching. i think the best bang for the buck would to go to some well known shop and have them custom make you one. i am pretty sure that no one out there makes a kit for the sc or for any lex. the closes thing i can think of that will fit on a lex is if you custom fit one for another car on the IS300. cuz them doors are pretty light and kinda resemble the accord doors.
thats what im saying. I know that there isnt a company that makes a kit for the SC and there is no way the IS300 kit will work for the SC the SC door is way to heavy. I have already looked into this. What i am looking for is a kit that can handle a heavy door then have my body shop make it work.
Old 01-19-04, 06:41 PM
qmtran
Driver

i just picked up my car from the shop today, got the kit molded and painted!! ;] but newayz, i asked him about custom doors like that, and he said that its not difficult to make them. Then again, i asked a customs car shop, so yeah. big hinges and a few gas shocks to keep the door open are needed. Find a good hotrod/customs car shop and have them build you a set. Price is going to be around that of what you are purchasing a already built kit.
Old 01-19-04, 07:15 PM
killerlex
Rookie

if you look at the kit it is of good quality, no problems on my friends m3, bmw door is heavy too.it took 2 hrs a side to install, just take off fender and replace your hinges with the one supplied, you might have to drill but no biggy, the hinges are just as thick as the factory hinges if not thicker,,veilside have the gull wings on a supra..yummMM

Last edited by killerlex; 01-19-04 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-19-04, 09:20 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Din
thats what im saying. I know that there isnt a company that makes a kit for the SC and there is no way the IS300 kit will work for the SC the SC door is way to heavy. I have already looked into this. What i am looking for is a kit that can handle a heavy door then have my body shop make it work.
You could also do something about the heavy doors... *cough* CF *cough* LOL j/k, CF is not in your theme, now if we were talking about emerald thats a diff story...

Let us know if you find anything...
Shawn
Old 01-19-04, 09:27 PM
strongsail
Instructor

ooh ooh yeah, vertical doors, cool, then maybe a retractable hardtop, and and ooh ooh I know, give it to Jesse and Monster Garage and they can make a lawnmower out of it, or a vacuum cleaner, hey put a pool table in the back seat, ooh ooh whaddya think guys??

Last edited by strongsail; 01-19-04 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-19-04, 11:22 PM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

not my cup of tea
Old 01-20-04, 06:46 AM
JFlo
Lead Lap

I must agree ... I doubt that anyone makes a kit that would support the weight of the doors. Besides, don;t you take pride in the fact that the SC can be such a sleeper? I know that here in Ohio everyone thinks its just a Lexus ... then you lay the whoop whoop on. Anyways, I find that more fun.
Old 01-20-04, 01:10 PM
Swifty
Pole Position

there are optional heavy duty shocks for heavy doors. If shocks can be used to hold up the heavy tail gate on my SUV, then it should be okay to hold the weight of the doors.

If your short, go for it....if your tall, make sure you wear a helmet getting in and out of the car.
Old 01-20-04, 06:41 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by 95RedSC
I must agree ... I doubt that anyone makes a kit that would support the weight of the doors. Besides, don;t you take pride in the fact that the SC can be such a sleeper? I know that here in Ohio everyone thinks its just a Lexus ... then you lay the whoop whoop on. Anyways, I find that more fun.
Where in Ohio are you ?? I am in Columbus (Reynoldsburg soon) and I work up North of 270 in Lewis Center...

Shawn
Old 01-20-04, 06:47 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Swifty
there are optional heavy duty shocks for heavy doors. If shocks can be used to hold up the heavy tail gate on my SUV, then it should be okay to hold the weight of the doors.

If your short, go for it....if your tall, make sure you wear a helmet getting in and out of the car.
These are two totally diff concepts... You have a tail gate (hatch) that has 2 hinges at the top with two gas struts (1 on each side) vs. a door that has one hinge in the same general area at the stock placement, just that it opens up instead of out... Also you have more room to play with on the back then you do around your door and also the back was designed that way, where as you have to come up with something to work with the existing layout of the door / frame, while keeping it the same (or as close to the same) structural integrity...

Just my 2cents...
Shawn

Last edited by asnatlas; 01-20-04 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-21-04, 09:55 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts

I KNEW i had seen this thread before
Old 03-21-04, 10:46 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

http://www.verticaldoors.com/v2/shop...ield=catalogid

Has anyone looked into this place? $1500 isn't soo bad of a price for this mod. Now we just need 9 more people, and we're golden
Old 03-21-04, 10:50 PM
Din
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SilverLexo
http://www.verticaldoors.com/v2/shop...ield=catalogid

Has anyone looked into this place? $1500 isn't soo bad of a price for this mod. Now we just need 9 more people, and we're golden
not bad but I doubt we could find 10 ppl that would want to do this.
Old 03-22-04, 09:10 AM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Din
not bad but I doubt we could find 10 ppl that would want to do this.
Well, there's you...right? Now just find 8 more serious people. I think this mod would look dope on the SC, and I'm not a fan of this mod on many other cars. The old SC is sleek enough to pull it off though.
Old 03-22-04, 09:37 AM
Din
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SilverLexo
Well, there's you...right? Now just find 8 more serious people. I think this mod would look dope on the SC, and I'm not a fan of this mod on many other cars. The old SC is sleek enough to pull it off though.
yeah i would be in

Quick Reply: would anyone do this on the sc (lamborghini scissor type doors)