SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Do you think this light setup would look good on the SC?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-04, 03:38 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do you think this light setup would look good on the SC?

OEM HID from IS300 (I'm just gonna stock the D2Rs in the stock SC300 projectors)

Ion Yellow City Light Bulbs (BTW what size bulbs are these in the headlight?)

And Ion Yellow H3 bulbs for the corner lights?

Guys think it'll be a good combo?

Think the corner lights will be bright enough?

Lastly, what do you guys think of those LED bulbs?
Old 01-21-04, 04:18 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

everything cool except for the Ion yellow city lights <if you are refering to the parking lights, or whatever else they call them> and if those are the ones you are talking about, they use 194 bulbs. I dont believe they make a nice yellow bulb for them out there, even piaa's is rather pale yellow <if you are trying to match the stock yellow of the IS/GS fogs i.e.> I would go for polarg M4's which have a nice brightness and whitish color.. as of the LED bulbs, the only two places where you could use them is in the turning signal and the parking light.. In the turning signal would be cool because you can make it look clear from the outside til you turn on your blinker instead of the orange color that the OEM bulbs show through the headlight when they are off.. the parking light, save your time, the HID will dim them in a heartbeat but you could try them if you want, the m4's will do a better job overall lighting up the headlight housing

Last edited by Skulinex; 01-21-04 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-21-04, 07:20 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

very many thanks skulinex

okay so as for the parking/city lights... they are 194... I also agree that the HID will dim them out easy... but i just hate the stock dirty white color the stock bulb gives off. Ya think it would be better to go for the typical hiper-white or even blue colored bulb?

And then... to get the best color/brightness for the cornering lights.... you suggest the Polarg M4 yellow bulbs over the PIAAs. Is this from first hand experience?

And lastly, the LED's would be best for the turn signals...

gotcha! thanks again .. and please correct me if i'm mistaken on anything
Old 01-21-04, 07:40 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OEM HID from IS300 (I'm just gonna stock the D2Rs in the stock SC300 projectors)
Will not work well with stock projectors...I've tried, it just doesn't work...You can try but I'm just letting u know...

I personally like stock look on parking lights...
Old 01-21-04, 07:46 PM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im cheap and went with the silverstars for my headlights. I agree, the stock city lights have that nasty pale yellow look compared to the headlights. Has anyone found a decent replacement for those? Im definately not going to go for those blue bulbs. I dont like the way they stand out so much in the daytime.
Old 01-21-04, 08:31 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

The piaa ion yellow bulbs are silver... so you won't really notice them during the day...

Dennis... I know it won't be the best using the HID in the stock projector.... but how do you mean by "not well"... do you mean beam cutoff? beam dispersion...?

haha i'm guessing you'll say everything...
Old 01-21-04, 08:36 PM
Boostshakalaka
Lead Lap

i used the piaa white led 194's on my parking lights in the front, they look pretty good paired with the hid's

Old 01-21-04, 08:39 PM
Boostshakalaka
Lead Lap

better pic of the led parking light

Old 01-21-04, 10:19 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

thanks boost....

BTW what kind of rims are those and what size?
Old 01-21-04, 10:33 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by MrJohnTan
Im cheap and went with the silverstars for my headlights. I agree, the stock city lights have that nasty pale yellow look compared to the headlights. Has anyone found a decent replacement for those? Im definately not going to go for those blue bulbs. I dont like the way they stand out so much in the daytime.
I've read the blue tinted "HID wannabes" are very hard on your eyes at night, esp. when driving for lengthy periods of time. HIDs on appear blue from certain angles, on eof which is NOT from persepctive of the interior of the car, thus they don't "harm" your eyes.
Old 01-22-04, 10:32 AM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Is300 HIDs are D2Rs and stock projectors are 9006 (HB4s)...won't fit.

Originally posted by RSTSpeed
I've read the blue tinted "HID wannabes" are very hard on your eyes at night, esp. when driving for lengthy periods of time. HIDs on appear blue from certain angles, on eof which is NOT from persepctive of the interior of the car, thus they don't "harm" your eyes.
Can you please clarify?
Old 01-22-04, 12:03 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Is300 HIDs are D2Rs and stock projectors are 9006 (HB4s)...won't fit
yea i know... I've got a dremel and 2 hands that says it will

I've done it for my friend's GS300 with a reflective housing... i'm curious as to how it will be on the stock projectors... as long as they're nice and bright... i don't care too much about blindin oncoming traffic (i'm such an A$$) nah jk... i'll just adjust it and aim it lower.

I just dunno whether or not to go ion yellow housing or the hiper-blue to go with the HIDs
Old 01-22-04, 12:03 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by siniquezu
Can you please clarify?
To be honest I can't clarify, lol. I really know nothing about lighting - I was jus saying that I read an article (probably in Car & Driver or something) about HIDs. Supposedly the blue color of the "HID look-a-like" lights (the blue colored ones that you see in a lot of ricers) strain your eyes, make you tired, etc.

EDIT: Oh wow, it was late when I posted before... I'm talking about headlights, not side markers or parking lights; sorry if I confused anyone!

Last edited by RSTSpeed; 01-22-04 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-22-04, 01:20 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by ummagawd
yea i know... I've got a dremel and 2 hands that says it will

I've done it for my friend's GS300 with a reflective housing... i'm curious as to how it will be on the stock projectors... as long as they're nice and bright... i don't care too much about blindin oncoming traffic (i'm such an A$$) nah jk... i'll just adjust it and aim it lower.

I just dunno whether or not to go ion yellow housing or the hiper-blue to go with the HIDs
Make sure that the strip shield around the D2R bulb is not pointed up. Where in CA are you located?

Last edited by siniquezu; 01-22-04 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-22-04, 02:05 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

D2S or D2R bulbs can be cut and modified into the 9006 housing, this is what I call the "dremel" method used to fit any halogen housing. However, the bulb does not fit properly no matter how you cut the D2S or D2R bulb..I know that eventually you'll make it fit but, as a result, our stock halogen projectors will give a "split beam" light pattern once you mod the bulbs into your housing..With the stock projectors and D2R or D2S bulbs all light will put out a "V" pattern. As a result of this "V" pattern, you will NOT see any light in front of you when your driving but light is only concentrated at the corners...

Please note: this is only true in the SC models..My friend used the dremel method on his Integra and it worked well..

I've done the dremel method a couple of months before and the amount of light that it puts out is hideous..No matter how you adjust your headlights you will always recieve poor lighting as a result of this "V" light pattern..The only possible alternative is to do the FULL retofit with HID projectors for the best results..Otherwise, I would suggest using HID kits that is made for the 9006 housing..

I would definitely not recommend using this "dremel" method to anyone with an SC. You will recieve poor lighting possiblity WORSE than stock halogen output...

Quick Reply: Do you think this light setup would look good on the SC?