SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Nice little mini-meet, with a little *treat*...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-04, 02:26 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We need to do this down south.... looks like a blast!! I guess I'll have to wait for the next run on the Dragon.
Old 02-10-04, 12:44 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by sc400texas
increadible, did he have it custom done, or did he get C's storker kit back when it existed?
I don't want to speak too much on his behalf, but I believe he had a renowned engine machinist from the Bay Area do the motor work for him. There is no stroker kit available, it was a one-off project.

Originally posted by Richie
SC490 , where can we learn more about that one?!
We are talking about doing a feature article on his car on our local LexusGoneWild.com site or even a 'car of the month' on CL. If it goes down, most of the details of his car will be disclosed there.

Originally posted by RMMGS4
Notice how Rich's car was "Strategically" hidden from view ? ? ?

That was no accident ! (pun intended)
Gee thanks Glen!
Old 02-10-04, 06:23 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

hows that sound clip coming along?
Old 02-10-04, 06:30 PM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by lex400sc
I don't want to speak too much on his behalf, but I believe he had a renowned engine machinist from the Bay Area do the motor work for him. There is no stroker kit available, it was a one-off project.
actually there used to be a 5.0 ltr stroker kit from C's Japan (according to hyperrev vol. 35- there was also a kompressor kit), however C's has since gone out of business...
Old 02-10-04, 06:41 PM
Jim Meader
Driver School Candidate

Default Dyno Day

Hey northern California Lexus owners the 28th is the Day, bring yours down and get it tested.

Yes My SC is 4.9 Liters but it began as a 240 HP 4 liter that had to have a rainy day to spin the wheels. The project goal was to equal what the new GS400 have at the rear wheels on the 28th we will all find out.

May be we should have a small wager ( $5.00 )as to the actual rear wheel readings and the closest gets the pot.

Bottom line is as follows basicly the engine is 20% larger, breathes better ( BFI and Headers ) and is running 18 inch tires with 275X35X18 on the rears. I have one those old 22 HP modified ECU's in now and hope to have a WeaponR ECU available to run a second test.

It feels stronger than it was ( I can spin both tires for about 20ft ) on dry payment from a standing start, so there you have it.

It could be wonderfull or it could be less than wonderfull only the dyno will no for sure.

Be there for the test first hand - Lets get a great turn out and all have some fun
Old 02-10-04, 07:35 PM
legendary
Racer

Default Re: Dyno Day

Originally posted by Jim Meader
Hey northern California Lexus owners the 28th is the Day, bring yours down and get it tested.

Yes My SC is 4.9 Liters but it began as a 240 HP 4 liter that had to have a rainy day to spin the wheels. The project goal was to equal what the new GS400 have at the rear wheels on the 28th we will all find out.

May be we should have a small wager ( $5.00 )as to the actual rear wheel readings and the closest gets the pot.

Bottom line is as follows basicly the engine is 20% larger, breathes better ( BFI and Headers ) and is running 18 inch tires with 275X35X18 on the rears. I have one those old 22 HP modified ECU's in now and hope to have a WeaponR ECU available to run a second test.

It feels stronger than it was ( I can spin both tires for about 20ft ) on dry payment from a standing start, so there you have it.

It could be wonderfull or it could be less than wonderfull only the dyno will no for sure.

Be there for the test first hand - Lets get a great turn out and all have some fun

wow

Can we ensure we get vids of this beast?!?

This is awesome!

I look forward to the event writeup/stories
Old 02-10-04, 07:39 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by adidas1532
hows that sound clip coming along?
RedGS4 is having issues with his ISP. He wants to burn it to disc and give it to me next time he sees me, which is I who knows when...
Old 02-10-04, 07:59 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: Dyno Day

Originally posted by legendary
wow

Can we ensure we get vids of this beast?!?

This is awesome!

I look forward to the event writeup/stories
DITTO!!!
Old 02-10-04, 09:27 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

RedGS4 is having issues with his ISP. He wants to burn it to disc and give it to me next time he sees me, which is I who knows when...
thats why we have the USPS

...if you need mirrors let me know.

Last edited by adidas1532; 02-10-04 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-11-04, 12:19 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Well the good news is that the video clip is already on my web server,
but the link to the forums is pending permissions.
Now that the ball is in my court, the clip should be up within 24 hours .

Here's another pic

Old 02-11-04, 07:40 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

On intellexual? Off topic but damn you party like no other (I jus checked out your "updates" page).... very nice.
Old 02-11-04, 12:46 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Wow nice meet and great turnout. Its so weird you mention a bored out SC because lately I was thinking of what a 5 liter 1UZ-FE would be like and well now we got a 4.9L 1UZ-FE. Cant wait to hear more info about it. Great pictures too.

Now if only we can get people and shops doing this kind of work. That would be a sight to see. Like always tho most of the stuff starts out on the west coast and slowly moves over to the east. Only time will tell...

Last edited by jimmit; 02-11-04 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-11-04, 12:55 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Dyno Day

Originally posted by Jim Meader

The key data from my car is the following;

1. The Tundra crank and our Lexus crank are one in the same from a stroke stand point. In my car the Tundra crank needed to have shims used to mate with the transmission- very minor. The Tundra crank is not necessary at all, but if someone wanted to use it, it is a drop in. There is a numeric difference in the stroke between the two cranks, but it is so minor that was not considered positive or negative during the build-up

2. I used the stock Tundra Pistons and rings, and the Lexus rod. This combination requires a new steel sleeve ( the size of the Tundra Piston ) to be made and fitted in the Lexus block. Therefore the Lexus block bores need to be enlarged. The key item here is how the new sleeves are attached and anchored to the Lexus block. From what my builder indicated this is the only critical area in the process. All the stresses of the piston and combustion are dealt with in the new sleeve, therefore it must be rigidly anchored into the block.

3. The Tundra piston needs to be shaved 40 ths to provide enough clearance between the piston, head and valves. This entire process nets a 9.6-1 static compression ration, down for the stock on my car of 10.25-1

4. Because we used the stock Tundra piston size, we were able to use a stock Tundra metal head gasket, which was very important because it did not require a custom copper head gasket to be made.

5. The heads were port matched, standard engine building stuff, and the runners had minor cleanup/polish. This was not a major area during the project because we could not find any expertise as to what works on these heads and did not want to make things worse by experimenting on extensive porting.

6. The cams were sent to Elgin’s here in Redwood City to be checked and to have the heal of the cam ground down to create greater lift. I do not know the amount of increased lift that was created, but I can tell you that what was done works and did not seem to have any negative effects. One intake cam lobe was found to be off by 1degree from the rest and that was corrected. My suggestion on the cams is to take the stock one’s you have and have them reground by a master cam grinder that has experience with four valve motors. Do not have any ideas or suggestions who that is, but it is something we need to find as a group.

7. My intake cams were installed 3 degrees retarded. This was done to increase the fill efficiency during the intake stroke. Since I never ran the car with the cams installed straight up, I will have to take the word and experience of my engine builder, that it is a benefit in performance.

8. One more thing on the cams, if you think working on four cams is expensive wait till you get the bill for Lexus cam shims. I need approximately 300 plus dollars worth of shims. They run as much as $10.00 a piece plus or minus.

9. The real key to making power from these motors will not be found until we can make computer adjustments. The Lexus computer is the single biggest reason not to use this combination. While my car runs and runs strong there is definitely more to be had if we could get to the computer like the Honda guys can.

10. BFI works even if you just hack open the box like I did, bottom line just do it.

11. Headers, made a big difference on my car. The torque band now includes the low end instead of only being available at the top end. My launch from a standing start is significantly better than before the headers. Remember I previously had a complete new 2.5 inch exhaust system including 3 new high flow 2.5 cats. On my California car there is a pre-cat and then two more cats. The stock exhaust plumbing is restrictive and benefits are felt from the just the combination of the BFI and the new exhaust prior to the headers. On my exhaust I used the pre-cat as an X-box. This cat has two inlets and two outlets and is open inside the cat, thereby give a similar cross over as an X-Box. It is not the same but I had to run 3 cats and just made the most of it this way. Mufflers at the end of the car have little net effect on power and should be purchased based on tone and style. The exhaust tubing, size and cats all up front have a far greater impact on performance than the muffler at the end.

12. My air box was modified as follows; the screen was removed, and the sharp corners inside the aluminum case were rounded using a Drumel tool. Did it make a difference ?????? has it hurt anything –NO. My rational for the changes was based on reducing the restrictions in air intake flow, just like I did in the exhaust. A K&N filter has been used from the beginning. Does it make any difference ??????? The stock Lexus air cleaner works and flows just as well and filters better according to “Peter”, so the biggest benefit of the K&N is I do not have to change the filter as often.

13. My computer was modified by someone who is no longer available. It was originally stated that the modifications to the fuel and timing only netted 22HP on a totally stock Lexus. When we first started up the car, it ran so lean you could breathe the air straight out of the exhaust pipe. We shut down the car and had them ship us two new chips with the fuel richened 10% across the board. Who knows what we got back, but that is what I have been running since. That is why I want to get the air fuel ratios during the Dyno runs.

14. I am trying to get a WeaponR ECU on hand for the Dyno day to see what the difference is. I expect the WeaponR ECU to perform better because it also changes the transmission line pressure and eliminates the ignition retard that occurs at each shift point in the Stock Lexus. With increased transmission line pressure, there will be less slippage, therefore more of what is being made by the engine will get to the rear wheels. We shall see on Dyno Day.

Well that’s about it for the engine see you on Dyno Day
And the exhaust clip: http://www.intellexual.net/movies/JimMeader.mpg (7.99 mb)

We'll see how quickly my 100gig bandwidth is drained....

Last edited by lex400sc; 02-11-04 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-11-04, 01:27 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by RSTSpeed
On intellexual? Off topic but damn you party like no other (I jus checked out your "updates" page).... very nice.
Hehe, that's all in the past! Since school started, I've toned down the 25/8 partying (though Spring/Summer is just around the corner, trouble!). You're getting the PG-version. There are about a hundred unsuitable pics I had to pull down due to scandal, drama, and self-preservation .
Old 02-11-04, 01:46 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Dyno Day

And the exhaust clip: http://www.intellexual.net/movies/JimMeader.mpg (7.99 mb)

We'll see how quickly my 100gig bandwidth is drained....
That sounds damn good!!!
Thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: Nice little mini-meet, with a little *treat*...