SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC owners who like to work on their cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-11, 11:53 AM
adl16v
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do mostly everything myself except body work I suck at. It cool learning and saves cash. I have thought myself by taking crap apart and hoping I can put it back together from hondas-ae86-now sc's, so far after 12 years im still alive.
Old 05-14-11, 12:33 PM
theory5150
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do the simple things i'm confident ill do a good job in. I did the ls400bbk, drilled through the firewall for the master cylinder for the 5spd swap, rolled my fenders, put in my recaro, put on the seibon hood (too scared to drill the hood pins lol) oil changes, etc. If there is a DIY i give it a try..
Old 05-14-11, 02:48 PM
MastrShake
Driver School Candidate

Ive always liked to work on my cars myself (along with the help of some more experienced buddies lol ), the best way to learn is to just do it yourself.
Old 05-14-11, 06:47 PM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Toshima
I refuse to pay someone to half *** a job on my car.
Yep. If someone is going to half-*** something on my car, that someone is going to be me. At least I know it's half-assed and am either okay with it or can do it right later on; nobody else will tell you that they half-assed something and you will find out the hard way.

I wouldn't be able to play with cars if I paid shops to do my work. I have a 4x4, the Lexus, and am working on a motorcycle project, so I pretty much have to do my own work.
Old 05-14-11, 07:55 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

do everything myself. i dont trust other people touching my car. plus i cant afford to bring it to someone to do it for me when i can do it myself. if i dont know how to do something i ask my uncle for help.
Old 05-15-11, 06:32 AM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i feel ya guy ^^^,

but in my case. i got a downpipe from ebay. its made for T4 manifolds where the turbo has a slight tilt away from the motor. and my t3 manifold has the turbo parallel with the engine. so i gotta bring it to a shop that can chop the downpipe up, weld a flex section into it and make it fit my turbo. ugh!
Old 05-15-11, 05:32 PM
Abelo
Driver

Originally Posted by DoomLight
i feel ya guy ^^^,

but in my case. i got a downpipe from ebay. its made for T4 manifolds where the turbo has a slight tilt away from the motor. and my t3 manifold has the turbo parallel with the engine. so i gotta bring it to a shop that can chop the downpipe up, weld a flex section into it and make it fit my turbo. ugh!

awe man im in the exact same boat, i bought my s.s downpipe from drift motion and its no where near being close to matching my turbo, DAMN T3 manifolds, and i also need a flex section and a flange welded on for my stock 02 sensor. how are you going to get it to the shop with no downpipe?

and i do all the work on my own car also, ever since i took my first car (integra) to get a oil change, they said i needed a rad flush, so my being new to cars gave it the okay. when i get home i open the hood and the radiator cracked all the way along the neck, of course they refused to pay for it.... damn shops.....
Old 05-15-11, 07:25 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

I work on mine not really because I don't trust shops (not to say there aren't any shady shops), but because of the experience I gain doing so. I learn a thing or two, and I get a nice feeling of accomplishment. oh yeah, and i'm broke. Is it a pita sometimes? hell yeah, but working through it is s a nice little challenge for me. I don't get those that go to shops just to get exhausts bolted on, but then again, I'm not living their lives.
Old 05-15-11, 08:52 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

ohh dear gosh.. i didnt even realize this was from 2001.. lol a freakin decade ago lol and i was also just joking about taking it to the dealer...
Old 05-16-11, 03:16 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,242 Likes on 866 Posts

I do a lot of my own work and maintenance. Some things I don't do because I don't have enough tools or it would require that I have a lift to get to hard to reach places. It depends on what needs fixing. Generally I try to take care of anything that isn't major maintenance myself. It's cheaper and the only real downside is the time expenditure involved if that week or month I do not have much free time from work.
Old 05-16-11, 05:44 AM
DFab
Driver School Candidate

I do all my own work. But I grew up in my dads shop... So I guess thats kinda cheating. The good thing is, I think he is one of the few honest shops around my city. So at least I learned not to half *** things. I am a welder/fabricator by trade so I have that area covered too! I do however pay for alignments and any big paint and body work.
Old 05-16-11, 05:47 AM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Abelo
awe man im in the exact same boat, i bought my s.s downpipe from drift motion and its no where near being close to matching my turbo, DAMN T3 manifolds, and i also need a flex section and a flange welded on for my stock 02 sensor. how are you going to get it to the shop with no downpipe?

and i do all the work on my own car also, ever since i took my first car (integra) to get a oil change, they said i needed a rad flush, so my being new to cars gave it the okay. when i get home i open the hood and the radiator cracked all the way along the neck, of course they refused to pay for it.... damn shops.....
luckily i am not far from the shop. im gonna pull it with a rope with a truck i have. im not quite ready to start it yet. still gotta wrap some of my lines with silicone heat wrap.
Old 05-16-11, 11:39 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMmuscle
the best way to learn man is to just tear into something
Can't, I'm only off one day a week and that's spent with family. If I open my hood I might as well dream about urban camping that night (aka sleeping on the couch).
Old 05-16-11, 12:32 PM
RmMarx
Pole Position

So uhhh.. since you boys all work on your own cars. Who wants to come help me change my oil. haha. I don't trust the shops and I need a hand!
Old 05-16-11, 01:58 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I do all the work myself, unless I get stumped on something, then I pull out the trusty PDF file on the entire car. :-)

Quick Reply: SC owners who like to work on their cars