SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

just got a sc

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-04, 12:35 AM
bishop977
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile just got a sc

hey guys, i just got a 92 sc300 . the car got a few problems.

1) power steering pump leak. *FIXED* cost around 200-300 to replace
2) exterior door handle broken on passenger side, ordered a replacement part from TAP is this a DIY any info.??
3)the two rear speakers doesn't work but the sub still works so does the front two. could it be the car phone thats installed in the car already cuz that doesn't work planning on removing it. any info on removing the brain.
4)theres a werid sound coming from the back of the car only when i hit a bump or pothole. i was told it could be the shocks/springs, control arm bushing, or something loose in the trunk.
5) the trunk struts are busted.
6) the speedo guage cluster needles flickers
7) the climate control cluster one of the light bulb blew
8) attena won't go up. motor still running. read it could be the mast
9) recently the heat didn't work *fixed*
10) the driver side interior door handle is a little loose. i slammed the door too hard from the inside i think i broke something its a little loose is there i DIY for this?

oh yeah for the climate control cluster the bulb is sylvania #24. i can't seem to find it online at slyvania website. how much does the bulb usually go for and how many? i tried using the search function on there site but it didn't show up. is there a product # to this or is just sylvania #24. is the speedo cluster sylvania #24 too?

if you guys are wondering the door handle is busted cuz someone tried to break in to the car and pried the door handle/lock. temp fix use use black tape to over it up. lol actually looks pretty nice . thinking of shaving it and use a door popper? but that would be too expenisve becuase then i will have to paint the whole car over. i don't want to put that much money into the car.

Last edited by bishop977; 02-12-04 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-12-04, 12:46 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Welcome to CL!! (Yeah, I'm finnally the first to welcome someone new!! )

Damn man, that thing has some issues - that gas mileage is a red flag for something, but I dunno what. Yea, I would try doing all of what you listed. Does the car turn unusually high RPMs at low speed (or high speed, for that matter)? Could have a tranny problem. I hope you got a steal on the car, how much did you pay, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 02-12-04, 12:59 AM
bishop977
Driver

Originally posted by RSTSpeed
Welcome to CL!! (Yeah, I'm finnally the first to welcome someone new!! )

Damn man, that thing has some issues - that gas mileage is a red flag for something, but I dunno what. Yea, I would try doing all of what you listed. Does the car turn unusually high RPMs at low speed (or high speed, for that matter)? Could have a tranny problem. I hope you got a steal on the car, how much did you pay, if you don't mind me asking?
yeah i got the car for pretty cheap. less than 2k. yeah the car has minor problem nothing major. most the stuff i metion i could probably fix for less 100. the trunk strut is about 50, the attena mast is about 25. the car doesn't rev at high rpms on low speed or high speed. i dink it just the tires the pressure i checked last time is around 25 psi its supposed to be around 32 psi. i checked the tires they don't have leak. i thinking it might be the rim having a slow leak or something.
Old 02-12-04, 01:06 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Yea, that's a good deal... I would jump all over it, too... gas milage - I hope for your sake it's just under-inflated tires, but I get like 24mpg, and I jus don't see how low pressure will affect MPG that much... GOOD LUCK!!
Old 02-12-04, 04:48 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Bishop, welcome to CL and enjoy your new car!
Old 02-12-04, 08:04 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

No the climate is not #24

for all those problems you don't need a chat forum, you need COLD HARD CASH because everything you mentioned is needing a full replacement, not a fix.

if you can't afford the few grand you need to drop into it *before* you even deal with the full tune up ($1500) my advice, re-sell the car.

With a chevy you can buy it cheap and ducttape everything in it, with a Lexus you can only do it one way, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ These machines are expensive to maintain, very expensive. If you cannot maintain it, i'd sell it. If you can, then the answer to your questions are simple. Open your wallet and let the love flow

Welcome to CL.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 02-12-04 at 08:06 AM.
Old 02-12-04, 08:11 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by O. L. T.
With a chevy you can buy it cheap and ducttape everything in it, with a Lexus you can only do it one way, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ These machines are expensive to maintain, very expensive. If you cannot maintain it, i'd sell it. If you can, then the answer to your questions are simple. Open your wallet and let the love flow
Very well said OLT, I hate the sight of a beat up lexus vehicle with jury rigged fixes!!

BIshop try to hook up with a Lexus mechanic (not dealer) and cruise the junkyards for replacement pieces to get your car 100% up to snuff!! since you got the car for 2k, dropping another 2.5k into it will still leave you with a 4.5k sc thats in great shape!
Old 02-12-04, 08:13 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Open your wallet and let the love flow
Haha, fantastic qoute! And INSANELY true...
Old 02-12-04, 01:44 PM
bishop977
Driver

No the climate is not #24

for all those problems you don't need a chat forum, you need COLD HARD CASH because everything you mentioned is needing a full replacement, not a fix.

if you can't afford the few grand you need to drop into it *before* you even deal with the full tune up ($1500) my advice, re-sell the car.

Welcome to CL.
consider this a project car for me. cuz i'm low on cash a college student. planning on fixing this car up lovely a little at a time though not all at once. don't have cash to just dump 2k on this. most likely it will probably spread it out over a few month. till i catch the mod bug . if you guys could tell me where i should start off would be great. the ducttape is a temp fix cuz i don't have a garage to park the car or a driveway and if i leave it exposed somone could easily break in. right now i'm planning on doing most of DIY to save money. like the trunk strut and attena, door handle.
Old 02-12-04, 02:12 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default well

i'll give you two for it...
Old 02-12-04, 02:32 PM
bishop977
Driver

haha no thanks, not selling it unless i get 8g lol probably goign to be driving this car for awhile. or like i said i get some crazy offer for it.

possible future mod

tien coilover or shock /strut 500-1200
control arm bushings 370
strut and sway 500

aroung 1500.
Old 02-12-04, 02:37 PM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

Ok dash cluster = OLT = $ is it 300 or $150, either way well worth it
AC cluster = replace = $150 ( I thought they were Sylvania 24's ?
Trunk lifts = DIY = $60
2 rear speakers = DIY = ( cheap pioneers for a college student ) $60 $ depends on quality
Door handles = DIY ( I just posted my fix ) = $30
wierd pothole sound ????
Shocks & springs = DIY ( for some ) = $ ????? this si next for me
antenna = DIY ( replace mast I guess maybe harder than it seems )

My suggestion is that this should be very high on the priority list.
Change the OIl, oil filter, air filter, tranny fluid ( Toyota type IV for sc400 ) i think you can use other types.
flush your cooling system. $150 ( after tax estimate ) DIY.
plugs, wires, caps, pcv valve, $300 ( I guess don't know about 300 prices )

TOTAL $1050 not including struts and springs and misc expenses.

Dude look at it like this you bought it for 2K and for a total of about 4K you have a beutifull car that is in pretty good shape. Sounds like a good deal man. This site will help you a lot with all the DIY fixes. I have probably aggrivated some mods with some stupid questions so search around and maybe you wont have to ask the same ones.
PEACE