SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Got my SC yesterday ! Now .. the questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-04, 07:27 AM
rhubarb999
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my SC yesterday ! Now .. the questions.

Hi all,

I picked up a 93 SC300 5 speed yesterday. Great shape with 119,000 miles. I drove it 550 miles home so I got to notice a few things.

1. The cruise control does not work. The light on the dash comes on when I push the main switch .. but thats it. Any ideas what to check/look for?

2. Previous owner had a new clutch put in 1000 miles ago (by the shop at Carmax) .. but I was able to get it to slip under heavy acceleration in second and third gear. Is this an adjustment .. or should I have it looked at?

3. The shifter .. I feel like I am rowing a boat going through the gears (to be fair, my other car is an S2000 .. and it has the tightest, shortest shifter in the world). Are there any short shift kits for the SC? I found one for the IS300 .. will it work on the SC?

4. Two cracks in the center A/C vent. I can fix it with Superglue if I can get the pieces out? Does this vent come out easily? Will it break even more trying to remove it?

5. Antenna ... turn on the radio .. and the mast comes out. I think I have seen replacement masts .. have to go back and look.

Going to need a timing belt, 120K service, fluid flush. Is there a good independant shop in North Atlanta?

Overall .. I am VERY happy with the car .. this is going to be fun !

Thanks,

Ed
Old 03-10-04, 10:27 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regarding number 4, don't bother it will just crack again. Don't you also have a crack in the drivers side vent? If not, you're one of the lucky ones. I think the cracks are caused by expasion of the wood trim.

George
Old 03-10-04, 10:59 AM
Lvangundy

#1 - Most 5 speed cars require you to be in 5th gear when using cruise. Also, just hitting the button doesn't turn on the cruise control immediately, you have to set it.
Old 03-10-04, 11:04 AM
rhubarb999
Rookie

Thanks for the info. I tried all the cruise modes while in 5th gear and nothing works. Also tried to set it at different speeds. The previous owner said it never worked for him. I have found amost no information on the cruise control on the forum .. I guess they never break
Old 03-10-04, 12:08 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Ed, welcome to the club!! this is an awesome board with a lot of useful info if you know how to use it, take good advantage of it, also has a lot of great people...As for where to take it in Atlanta, believe or not Hennessy Lexus Of Gwinnett, we have a master tech who's a member of this boards and seloc.net, the service is awsome. It would be great to see you at our meets, we are having one this saturday at Andretti's Speedlab <acura meet, we are invited> and then well go to the Atlanta International Autoshow.. for more info check here SELOC

Last edited by Skulinex; 03-10-04 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-10-04, 01:14 PM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

The cruise control box is north of your airbox. You should have a throttle cable going to it. It is coverd by a plastic snap in plate. All cruise stuff is under there.

TRD does offer a short throw shifter for the SC. Have seen the link, not sure where it is.

Last edited by Camshaft; 03-10-04 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-10-04, 02:37 PM
lex1997
Driver

What color is your SC? Did you buy it from a dealer or private owner?
Old 03-10-04, 02:48 PM
rhubarb999
Rookie

Its the darkish gray color with the light gray/blueish interior.

Actually I need to find out what the interior color is called so I can order the new seats. It looks light gray when compared to the trim around the center console which looks dark gray.
Old 03-10-04, 04:00 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hey, for the cruise control, just try getting up to a decent speed in 5th, and then hit the cruise button, let off the gas, and push the cruise thing downward for a second. thats what does its for me

as for the shoft shifter, it was only for the 95+(maybe 94+) SCs, o it doesnt apply to you or me. But what I would do (and what i WILL do) is get the TRD shift **** and cut the shifter about an inch. that should do it, hopefully that wouldnt make it notchy.

anyways, good luck and congrats
Old 03-10-04, 04:24 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Originally posted by /Aerostar\
hey, for the cruise control, just try getting up to a decent speed in 5th, and then hit the cruise button, let off the gas, and push the cruise thing downward for a second. thats what does its for me
My CC works in all gears (well, I haven't tried it in first ), but you have to be going faster than 25 mph.

as for the shoft shifter, it was only for the 95+(maybe 94+) SCs, o it doesnt apply to you or me. But what I would do (and what i WILL do) is get the TRD shift **** and cut the shifter about an inch. that should do it, hopefully that wouldnt make it notchy.
The true "short shifters" have a shorter throw (linkage), not just a shorter shift lever. There are short shifters available for the pre 96 cars. The shifters for the Supra 5 speeds will work.

anyways, good luck and congrats
Old 03-10-04, 05:35 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

well, i was just saying get your car up to speed before trying the CC, you know just in case

and siince when is there a real short throw kit for the 92??
Old 03-10-04, 09:57 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Originally posted by /Aerostar\
<...snip!...> and siince when is there a real short throw kit for the 92??
I don't know about the '92's in particular, but I can't imagine the short throw shifter for the MKIII Supra 5spds wouldn't work?!?!?
Old 03-11-04, 02:28 AM
legendary
Racer

cutting the shifter is not a good idea....look into having one made, or use one from the Supra if possible. I would suggest searching to see what the deal is

Welcome....hope to see you at our meets
Old 03-11-04, 02:22 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Most cars i know let you cruise control in any gear (how does the CC know what gear you're in?) as long as you're going the right speed....
Old 03-11-04, 08:40 PM
95BlackSC
Pole Position

Congrats on the new purchase! Where in north atlanta are you? I'm in the alpharetta are. Skulinex where are you? I'm going to come to one of the SELOC meets asap- i'm just always working when yall have them. I'd like to meet everybody though.
-Zac

Quick Reply: Got my SC yesterday ! Now .. the questions.