SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sc scammers

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-04, 08:08 PM
Suprast4R
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sc scammers

im still looking for the PERFECT sc300 to purchase. this is actually a very hard hunt, but it is still going on strong. i have a quick question. do you guys think there are sc300 scammers out there? just like in the Supra market, people are using owners' pictures as thier own and trying to scam money. i am not too afraid of this, but i think its possible. any help?
Old 03-23-04, 08:26 PM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

scammers will be around no matter where you go. the good thing about CL is that everyone here knows each other one way or another. we are like family on CL and we pretty much have each other's backs covered. because the number of SC enthusiasts isnt nearly as large as, lets say the honda crowd, we are a closer knit than most other forums out there. if anyone were to use another owner's pics, the red flags would go up instantly.

it took me over a year to find my car. 95 black on tan 5 speed with 74K miles. just be patient, there are some clean ones left out there.

Last edited by MrJohnTan; 03-23-04 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-24-04, 07:15 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Always ask for a VIN and run it thru Carfax. Make sure the specs line up. Ask for pics of the build sticker and make sure the VIN matches. If they can't do this for any reason, red flag right there. And of course, try not to buy ANYTHING sight unseen. It's very risky. If you like it that much, fly over and check it out. Drive it back if she's good.

I was lucky enough to find my white 5spd in 2 weeks. It's the luck of the draw. Old lady driven and BONE stock super clean. 75 miles away but worth the 2 trips. (one to see it and one to pay/take her home)

Just be patient, and don't rush any purchase!! I almost didn't buy mine because it was TOO SOON. I wanted to have seen more rejects before buying so I would know what was a good deal. Basically in the short search I had learned to reject heavily modded cars and concentrate on the clean stockers. Cleaning up someone else's mess is not worth the hassle.
Old 03-24-04, 10:18 AM
chitwnsazn
Lead Lap

yeah it took me a year and a half to find my sc3 5speed. Its worth waiting for and yeah there are scammers out there. oh yeah when i was searching for my sc3, there was another 95 sc3 stick, teal, 66k miles and two tone leather (custom?). Didnt check it out but yeah, maybe its still on autotrader.com search for the chicago area.
Old 03-24-04, 12:17 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

how much are you looking to spend?
Old 03-24-04, 02:25 PM
Suprast4R
Pole Position

Originally posted by CleanSC
Always ask for a VIN and run it thru Carfax. Make sure the specs line up. Ask for pics of the build sticker and make sure the VIN matches. If they can't do this for any reason, red flag right there. And of course, try not to buy ANYTHING sight unseen. It's very risky. If you like it that much, fly over and check it out. Drive it back if she's good.

I was lucky enough to find my white 5spd in 2 weeks. It's the luck of the draw. Old lady driven and BONE stock super clean. 75 miles away but worth the 2 trips. (one to see it and one to pay/take her home)

Just be patient, and don't rush any purchase!! I almost didn't buy mine because it was TOO SOON. I wanted to have seen more rejects before buying so I would know what was a good deal. Basically in the short search I had learned to reject heavily modded cars and concentrate on the clean stockers. Cleaning up someone else's mess is not worth the hassle.
the good deals always come with the old ladies
Old 03-25-04, 03:15 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't see anything wrong with buying a modified secondhand car, just as long as it's been maintainted according to the regular service intervals you shouldn't really have a problem. The only problem I've got with it is that it takes the fun out of the modding process hehe

Jose
Old 03-25-04, 04:30 PM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Soarer_25GTT
I don't see anything wrong with buying a modified secondhand car, just as long as it's been maintainted according to the regular service intervals you shouldn't really have a problem. The only problem I've got with it is that it takes the fun out of the modding process hehe

Jose
Im going to have to disagree with you on this one Jose. Yes, you will save money in the beginning from buying a modded car vs. buying a stock car and doing the mods yourself.... BUT the chances of you buying someone's headache is greater and could cost you more in the long run. Most if not all modded cars are more than likely to be abused or "driven hard" by the enthusiasts that owned them. I would rather do all the work myself so I will know what is wrong w/ my car instead of running into surprises later.
Old 03-25-04, 09:17 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm gonna have to agree. Buying a modded car is more of a headache. You never know how half *** things are done until you dive in. I'd rather buy a stock car and mod it myself. I like to do my own wrenching so I know its done right.
Old 03-25-04, 09:29 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's just a stock car up for sale, then it should be legit 99% of the time. Just make sure there isn't anything sketchy about the offer (like non-refundable/all sales final). If it's a well-modified car, just run it by us before you pull the trigger 'cause most modified cars have been through CL at one point or another and if there's anything shady about it, there's a good chance someone here can point it out.
Old 03-25-04, 10:17 PM
Suprast4R
Pole Position

im not looking for a modded car, im looking for a stocker. i understand that people who modd their cars of course intended to drive sc's hard. what do you guys think about ....dare i say...LEXUS dealers? i've heard they can get very very pricey, but im having such a hard time finding a nice sc300, i might have to resort to the real thing

im open to all opinions!
Old 03-26-04, 06:52 PM
Gixer 1000
Driver

think of axle rose from guns n roses singing: "Have a little patienceeee "
Its all about whats out there. funny how most that replyed wanted a 5spd.
I found my 5spd 93 sc3 w/ 103k on ebay of all places. The seller was local and let me take it to a friends shop. even though it needed a head gasket, i paid 7600.00 for it before the auction ended.
i also found my 2002 gsxr-1000 on ebay. there are some scammers out there, but no where near as many scammers as honest sellers. but i would NEVER pay for something without inspecting it or having some kind of re-course.