SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

headlamp bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-01, 03:02 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many bulbs does the SC need?

I thought it was 1 pair H3's (fogs), 1 pair 9006 (lows), and 1 pair 9005 (highs). I put in some HID looking bulbs and noticed that I still had yellow bulbs on the outside (just inside of the yellow turn signals in the same housing).

What type of bulbs are these? I think they are 9006's? but the bulb socket was different. So are there 2 pairs of 9006, 1 pair 9005, and 1 pair of H3? Thanks!
Old 04-04-01, 01:27 PM
Paul Hawker

Cool

If you want to see something unbelievable check out the lights on the new SC 430. Not only are they for real Hi density discharge, they are self leveling. When you turn them on they do a little dance and adjust for the angle of the car. As you drive down the road they constantly adjust to avoid glare to coming traffic. Beware of after market "blue" lights. Many of them are just posers, which reduce the light available so that while you look "cool" you really can't see sh*#.
Old 04-04-01, 01:42 PM
mdfdsc300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had real good experience w/ the APC bulbs. The light they emit are very white as opposed to blue, green, yellow, red, etc. I bought them from www.theLAPD.com where they offer a lifetime replacement against burnout.
Old 04-04-01, 02:51 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We sell a boatload of the Hiper brand bulbs, they are a lot whiter than the APC ones, probably the best ones short of spending a fortune on anything else comparable.
Old 04-04-01, 04:52 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hellasboy...what brand HID bulbs did u get and do they look good while improving vision at night? Ive noticed the two lights u r mentioning that u didn't notice at first. I dont quite know what purpose they serve but they are about they same intensity as the DRLs on my dads GS. I know that they rn't DRLs b/c they only come on when the parking lights r turned on and when the headlights r on.
Old 04-04-01, 05:27 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought Xenon bulbs, not true HID. They look good, i love the look! but i don't think that they improve night vision at all, they might be worse in fact, but not by much. I'm not sure yet because I haven't replaced my Fog bulbs yet and I'm used to running the fog lights all the time. right now i'm not running the fogs (it would be cool with blue lows and orange fogs, but pale yellow fogs don't look great with the hipers).

I bought the High Wattage Hiper brand bulbs. I thought that they might damage something, but so far the lex has handled them no problem. I was looking at the APC bulbs earlier, but I heard some unfavorable things about that bulb from the folks at purehonda.com, and i heard favorable things about the Hiper bulbs. Do you have any pics of the APC bulbs? Plus, the Hiper brand bulbs are a great price! I'd love to have the PIAA super plazma bulbs, but i don't have 120$ to spend just for a pair of bulbs.

When i get my H3 bulbs in i'll take before and after pictures so you can compare them. what shots do you want to see? I was thinking from drivers seat, from 50 feet away, and from the front 3/4 panel about 5 feet away (at a 45 degree angle). I'll try to have the pictures posted up by late next week.

If I had known that you sold the bulbs DoubleWhoosh I would have bought them from a fellow clublexus member, next time. So the bulbs I were talking about are the 194's? the same ones as the sidemarkers and trunk? I tried to remove them from the headlight housing (to replace them) but I couldn't remove the connection. How do you replace the 194?

The Hipers are going to have to do the job in the meantime... last time i checked i don't have 65.1k for a new SC430