SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I got rear ended.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-04, 01:01 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry I got rear ended.

I just finished slowind down for a pedestrian red light and a sunfire changed into my lane and rear ended me at about 40 mph into my beatiful sc300.

The car drives and rides fine, a bit slower due to the now chocked exhaust, but it drives straight as an arrow. However the trunk cant open, the rear bumper is pushed in.and the rear right quater pannel where the gas refill is buckled, and the wheel well did cave in, where theres only half an inch clearance from the tires. The lights work, I dont have pictures yet, but im praying, Really praying, that they fix it. I love that car. God i wish people put better attention when they drive.
Old 04-13-04, 08:47 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Angry

Man that sucks.

How old is that car? Get all your receipts ready to fight because if the car is old and the damages are enough, they will try to total it and take it from you. Gather up all the evidence of as much of the money you spent on the car to fight back in case they try that. Prove to them that you've invested money and the value goes up. That way they either do not total it, or pay you more for your losses.

Stay on the case, tell your insurance immediately. Was there a police report? Keep your eyes open and be smart. Were you injured? Don't disregard any pains you may have now or later. Sometimes they take time to surface. If you have any, have it documented. See your doctor. Don't sign anything the insurance asks you to sign right away. Do you have a lawyer? If so, give him a call and make sure he oversees everything that happens.

I'm not trying to score you a free ride or screw over the person that hit you, but rather just want you to be properly and fairly compensated for what happened to you.

Good luck!
Old 04-13-04, 09:45 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Listen to Jose man, my girl was on her way home at about 2am from working an Oscar party in Hollywood a month or so ago (whenever the damn Oscars were) and some jerk-off blew through a red-light and t-boned her '97 Explorer. He was driving a BS POS half-assed riced-out partially primered sentra from the stone age. I get the call at 2am and drive out to the scene, she's crying and saying she's fine physically, just pissed at what happened and because dude took off on foot and abandoned the car and everything in it including his cell which he was on during the accident (a pure genius I know). She developed a deep bone bruise on her leg a week later and bad headaches, on top of that her truck was totaled because both airbags deployed ($1500 each) and the idiot that hit her broke the axle and damaged the frame so insurance totalled it. We were worried because she still owed money on the car, and one of the worse things that could have happened was that she owed more than insurance was willing to value the car at. My point is I know you have a lot going on right now, write all this down (everything jose mentioned above) and make sure you execute the entire list to CYA. Good luck and keep us posted dude. PS...it's a fear of mine to get involved in an accident like this because I know if the at-fault driver doesn't exhibit the kind of apologetic tone I think I deserve (in this type of situation) then I'm liable to do something really bad at that moment which would result in the possible temporary loss of my physical freedom...please tell me the rear-ender was apologetic at least and not blabbering BS like "Why were you stopped like that?! What am I gonna do now?!"...

Last edited by mikeloc24; 04-13-04 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-13-04, 01:21 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

The moron was apolegetic, thus why he is still alive.

I went on my own and attempted to get a car estimate. And they quoted me 15,709.27 for the cost of repair. 9125.56 being the cost in parts alone. The repair shop even says that tis defenitively a total and then he has to nerve to tell me that farmers has it listed as a aproximately 7,000 dollars. This is where I lost my nerve.

Obviusly this is extremely unnacceptable. However I believe I can DEMAND that the insurance replaces my car with a like wise vehicle. And I start to wonder what it really the cost of repairs for this car. just GLANCING at the part list, i see 947.61 worth of parts that do not need to be replaced.
Old 04-13-04, 03:57 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

its not all that bad, except for that rear quarter panel, ouch. That piece is huge!! They would have to cut out the damaged piece of it then weld in new sheet metal, or replace the entire thing. I think it's the rear quarter panel is driving up that estimate so much.

Good luck
Old 04-14-04, 08:42 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Exclamation WHAT?

15 grand???

Please post pics. I'd love to see 15 grand worth of damages on a rear-ended SC.

Where did you get this quote? I suspect they are trying to replace things that don't need to be replaced.
Old 04-14-04, 09:45 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Angry 15G's???????

That's a shady shop. Get another estimate, and this time make sure they only replace/repair what's necessary. See if you can possibly gather up the parts yourself and have a reputable shop do the repairs. I hate to be the one to say this but it happened to a friend and this is what he did: Insurance company totaled his car because the repairs outweighed the "value" of the car. Insurance comapany paid him out a little over $9k for the car, he then worked a deal with the wrecking yard and/or insurance company where he bought the car back from them with a "salvage title" (or something) for under $1000. He then took the money and used it to fix the car HIS way and pocketed the rest. The vehicle now has a salvage title on it but it looks and runs like new, even has a couple of extra goodies in it as a result. Just something to think about if worse comes to worse and they try to take the car. We just hope it doesn't come to that.
Old 04-14-04, 09:56 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Yes please post pics!

CEO
Old 04-25-04, 01:51 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Update, I didn't walk out as clean as I thought I did, and turned out I did suffer some whiplash.

I have to see a chiropractor for 3 months now.

Ill try post pics as soon as I can!
Old 04-25-04, 01:56 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

There's always some reprocussions with rear end accidents. They eventually bother your spine and neck. I don't think you should look towards 3 months as the end. these injuries usually last forever and hurt most 15 years down the road. So make sure you have those med bills covered for years to come and don't let a cheap lawyer try and get you a quick settlement so he can get paid. In your life this injury can cost you tens of thousands over time.
Old 04-25-04, 04:25 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry to hear.

I bet the Sunfire was easily totalled. Am I right?
Front ends of course crumple much easier than
rear ends. Plus it's a Sunfire against an SC!
Old 04-25-04, 04:33 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

FYI sunfires can take a 20 mile an hour impact with no forseen damage, 30 MPH with minimal damage. Dang little rubber cars bounce right back. I've seen a sunfire get plowed by a truck reversing and show not even a scratch.
Old 04-25-04, 04:39 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

That's surprising.

When I had my Dodge Neon, a comparable Saturn sedan rear ended
me at about 20 mph and it's hood folded, windshield cracked, lights and
grill destroyed, and radiator damage. My Neon came away with barely a scratch.
I'm not kidding!
Old 04-29-04, 12:17 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Default saturn is ****!

I believe it, Saturn's are like little plastic pieces of doo-doo...with ugly wheels...
Old 05-01-04, 12:12 AM
PrlWhiteSC
Driver School Candidate

Damn the american cars....... Except Chevelles! sorry to hear about that though man.... hope it all works out!