SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Couple of problems here....

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-04 | 10:52 PM
Suprast4R
Pole Position

Default Couple of problems here....

well first thing's first, my automatic passenger lock is broken, i can only unlock/lock it manually from the inside, i cannot use a key to unlock it from the outside and i cannot unlock/lock it with the buttons on the driver or passenger side. i need to know if anybody has a diy fix it or should i take it to lexus and let them handle it (fyi im in a tight budget.)

second thing, the panel under my steering column, where it glows green at night, and where the gas/brake pedals hang out from. also there are exposed wires there. can anybody determine why it could possibly be missing? and whether i should replace it or not? my first thought was that there was a previous attempt to steal this car or hotwire it.

any info on these 2 issues would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 05-11-04 | 06:38 AM
JFlo
Lead Lap

well first thing's first, my automatic passenger lock is broken, i can only unlock/lock it manually from the inside, i cannot use a key to unlock it from the outside and i cannot unlock/lock it with the buttons on the driver or passenger side.
I have this same problem with my car. I was told by the dealership that it was most likely the Lock Actuator. I never had the time to have them open it up and confirm this, but they seemed confident enough. I hope this helps.

BTW ... My passenger side lock seems to work electronically when it gets really cold out. I think that is kinda funny.
Old 05-11-04 | 02:50 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Couple of problems here....

Originally posted by Suprast4R
second thing, the panel under my steering column, where it glows green at night, and where the gas/brake pedals hang out from.
Hmm, glows green at night????????? maybe there's an alien in there smoking some kryptonite!!!!!! ha ha lol..j/k!, I have never heard of that before!, or maybe I've just never noticed (which would be amazing). Find a junkyard and replace the panel, it was there for a reason, especially if it covers wires and such. A junkyard is the best way to go for us "budgeteers"...especially for an easy to remove part like that. You may see other parts you need as well. Try TAP Recycling in NorCal.

Last edited by mikeloc24; 05-11-04 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-11-04 | 03:03 PM
Suprast4R
Pole Position

haha nooo im in southern california! but thanks for trying, ill try to find a toyota junk yard around here or something. midnitesc told me he sees a green light under his steering wheel also, but he has a panel covering what mine doesnt.

and about the lock..i am covered for a 2 year/24,000 mile heavy warranty, im pretty sure i can go get that fixed with my warranty.
Old 05-11-04 | 05:16 PM
JFlo
Lead Lap

Mine has a green light in the foot-well area. I think that it is a little "luxury" added by Lexus back in the day. Something to light your "step" when you're getting in the car. It is the same color green that surrounds the key hole for the ignition.
Old 05-11-04 | 05:47 PM
Suprast4R
Pole Position

the green glow doesnt bother me, im just giving hints to where in the car im talking about.