SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Mod pics from the last few weeks

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-04, 07:27 PM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mod pics from the last few weeks

Here are the pics of what I have done in the past few weeks.
Sanded my terrible gold emblems and painted chrome ( overcast so doesn't show up very well )
Excuse the 430 behind me it's not mine.
Attached Thumbnails Mod pics from the last few weeks-photo02.jpg  
Old 05-15-04, 07:28 PM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

Clear sidemarkers
Attached Thumbnails Mod pics from the last few weeks-photo03.jpg  
Old 05-15-04, 07:30 PM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

The 32, this thing is a monster, advice if you go for a dash go that litle bit extra and get the 32.
Attached Thumbnails Mod pics from the last few weeks-photo05.jpg  
Old 05-15-04, 07:31 PM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

Business name on front windshield
Attached Thumbnails Mod pics from the last few weeks-photo04.jpg  
Old 05-15-04, 07:31 PM
Suprast4R
Pole Position

great job hotboy, those diy sidemarkers are excellent

how about a write up on how you did it? since alot of people have different ways of doing their markers, maybe we should get a bunch of different ways down.

by the way, can we get a few pics of that 5% tint? because thats what im thinking about getting for my SC.

Last edited by Suprast4R; 05-15-04 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-15-04, 08:04 PM
setwire
Pole Position

Default Emblems

HotBoy
Your Emblems look great.

Can you describe how you did your emblems.

i.e.
How did you get them off the car, what you did for prep on them, what paint you used and if you used a clear coat after painting them.

I have Gold Emblems on my Black 93 SC 400 and I hate them.

I would like to do them in a Metallic Grey or Metallic Black, and am looking for the appropriate paint.

So any advice on how you did yours would be a great help.

Rob
Old 05-15-04, 10:47 PM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

Thanks guys

For the sidemarkers I went off another thread that was up not long ago. It isn't hard just time consuming. I just removed them, used a rotary tool and cut off the orange lense, cut and sanded some clear perspex to fit then siliconed it on. Oh yeah while the lense was off I shot the base with a few coats of chrome paint. Then get those chrome/orange bulbs and put them in and install, pretty easy.

For the emblems I tried respraying them gold for the factory look but I couldn't get it right. I was going to try a chameleon black to gray paint called "ice" but the wife wouldn't go for it. Ended up like this ( will skip the stripping of gold paint after gold respray)
Removal is pretty easy, get some fishing wire and "floss" the emblem this will break the seal of the factory tape. Then they are stuck in there by the holes. Just get a really thin screwdriver and cover your paint so as not to scratch it and pry them off carefully. I stripped and sanded my emblems, sprayed them with about 7 coats of chrome bumper paint from auto zone, then sprayed them with a few coats of clear. Cut some trim fix tape and attached then replaced the emblems on the car.

I have been tight on money so none of these mods ( bar the 32 ) will cost more than about $20.
Ordered and will write up the replacement of Supra LCA's and motor and tranny mounts in the next 4 or so weeks.

Oh yeah I will show you some pics of the 5% tint tomorrow it looks awesome on a black SC IMO. It is actually 5% back and rear sides and 30% sides. Still illegal but the lighter contrast to the back has kept the boy sin blue at bay so far.
Old 05-15-04, 10:55 PM
Suprast4R
Pole Position

can chrome paint be bought anywhere like kragen or autozone? and how do we get ahold of chrome bulbs!?

by the way if we dont have a dremel, is there any other way to open up the sidemarkers?

cant wait to see that 5% tint job, i as well have a black SC, and i think the 5% would look absolutely SICK!
but i might go with something a tad lighter. does anybody know what the factory tint job is on sc300's in 1995? because i have one and its fading into the purple-ish color, it must be changed
Old 05-15-04, 10:59 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Suprast4R
how about a write up on how you did it? since alot of people have different ways of doing their markers, maybe we should get a bunch of different ways down.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...770#post881770*

* read down further, I changed my clear cover from CD plastic to 1-mm polycarbonate plastic, available at any local plastics supplier/fabricator. $7/pair.

Last edited by lex400sc; 05-15-04 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-15-04, 11:00 PM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

I found the best paint to be "Chrome Bumper Paint" I got mine from Auto zone, I found they had a better selection than other auto stores.
For the clear sides. On the first one I actually just broke the lens with a screwdriver and pulled it off ( don't recommend this because it took a lot of sanding to get it smoothed out afterwards ) if you had a jigsay or something like that it would work. You don't need a rotary tool it just saves you hours of sanding. The lens has to be a pretty exact shape because it sits inset into the bumper.

Also note when installing the markers don't put them in upside down ( yes you can do it ) the light wont go back in and after about 15 minutes of trying you will realise they are upside down. You wont damage anything I'm just tryin to save you 15 minutes of useless time.
Old 05-16-04, 08:40 AM
abboushi
Lexus Test Driver

your SC is lookin pretty hot.
Old 05-16-04, 10:05 AM
95BlackSC
Pole Position

Originally posted by Suprast4R
can chrome paint be bought anywhere like kragen or autozone? and how do we get ahold of chrome bulbs!?

by the way if we dont have a dremel, is there any other way to open up the sidemarkers?

cant wait to see that 5% tint job, i as well have a black SC, and i think the 5% would look absolutely SICK!
but i might go with something a tad lighter. does anybody know what the factory tint job is on sc300's in 1995? because i have one and its fading into the purple-ish color, it must be changed
I just did the screwdiver with a hammer trick to crack the orange on top, then pried the rest off. Hotboy mentioned spraying the base with the chrome paint- this is a good idea because a) it makes the light output slightly brighter and b) it assures that there is no orange left over on the base, because you can see it with the new clear plastic on top if there is any left.
Old 05-16-04, 09:47 PM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

Abboushi thanks man. Still waiting on rims, got to do the LCA's and suspension first don't want to chew up good tires on new rims. Also wanting the bomex kit.
Spent 4.5 hours coating the SC with wax today.
Old 05-18-04, 03:50 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by HotBoy
The 32, this thing is a monster, advice if you go for a dash go that litle bit extra and get the 32.
For realz...I wish I had forked over the extra $75 for the 32, the 16 is aiight but not super bright like I would have wanted. Still looks good though.

Man, sorry I couldn't make it down to hang and mod these last few weekends, I just haven't had the time to drive down there. We're gonna hook up soon though, as soon as I can spare an entire day that is. Shoot me a pm whenever.

The side markers look good, what did you use for the lens? what plastic I mean?

Last edited by mikeloc24; 05-18-04 at 03:50 PM.