SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Thinking about buying a sc400.. compare to current car

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-04, 07:56 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"you just wait SC300 guys!!! we'll have boost soon enough... and then you'll be sorry you pick on us, you big meanie you!"

hmm. I've been hearing that since... November 2001

OLT, as far as the powerband on the 400 goes, it doesn't really come to life until after 2.5k or 3k RPMs. I drove my 93 for 30,000 miles, and if you wanted that V8 to go, you've gotta beat on it too.

"turbo evangelists" were old a long time ago. Lex Luthor was waiting for a boost application for the SC4, and I was too. The price/HP was too high, and the aftermarket for the V8 simply isn't there.

Yes, there has been a 5.0L stroker kit & a roots style blower in japan for years now, but we don't see it.

I'll be overjoyed when the big brother (SC400) finally starts making big numbers -- you guys have an awesome block, and those who held out for whatever may someday come deserve a big

Right here, right now, the SC400 doesn't have much besides a Weapon-R ECU, BFI, Torque Converter, exhaust and headers. If you're happy with the power that'll give you, awesome.

Living in malibu for the next few years means that I'm itching to embaress some Ferrari drivers infront of their supermodel girlfriends... so my goals are slightly different.

the SC 3 & 4 are two different flavors, I understand your opinion, I was there too. I can't wait to see some great numbers out of the 1UZ-FE -- it's about time such a wonderful block gets its due.

For me personally, when my car was totaled while I was at home in bed, I decided on a five speed and all the trappings thereof.

John
Old 05-27-04, 10:31 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, we have a heated debate here.

For taking sides, I'd have to take the SC400 side simply because I own 2. I do, however, would like to drive an SC3 5-speed though.

And back to the point, I'd rather have an SC400 over a Mustang anyday because I KNOW, I can rely on a Lexus.

After over 276,000 Miles, my 92 SC4(with original 1UZ-FE engine and trans) still pulls hard for its time and age. Everytime I drive my car, I get on it hard and it amazes me. It simply won't blow up. In fact, i just owned a stock GS-R and an Accord V6 Coupe last night. I only have the BFI mod on my car - everything else is stock. A 98 SC4 would be badazz with its 290 HP.

As for gas mileage, I'm not too far off the rated numbers from the factory, which is 18/22 I think.

Any SC, wether it's an SC3 or SC4, would be a better choice over the Ford.
Again, I'm not here to tell you what to get or what not to get. Just giving you something to think about and sharing my experiences with you on the finest vehicle(s) I have ever owned.
Old 05-28-04, 06:20 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Post My 2 cents

For me it was easy.

It's all about the tranny. I wanted the V8, but being that it came only in auto I got the 2JZ. The way I drive I need to have a 5-speed. I rather have the wrong engine than have the wrong tranny. (Not that the 2JZ is the wrong engine - it's an excellent powerplant.)

I have yet to drive an automatic car that knows what gear I want to be in.

I don't drag race, I don't need gobs of torque. I prefer a well-balanced ride with more mods to the suspension and brakes than anything else. *That* for me, makes a car enjoyable. A sure-footed, safer ride that can not only hang in the corners with NSX's and Porsches, but also can dodge that idiot that threw their car in front of you.

It's not always about getting in front of everyone with tons of torque. It's also about getting around them, behind them or away from them with confidence.

When you're putting an automatic car thru it's paces and it decides to kick down a gear in the middle of a high-g corner, it's not fun.

You guys mention drag races between SC3 5speeds and SC4s with the SC4s winning. Would the case be the same on an autocross course all else being equal? I've never tried it, so I'm not sure, but I know where my money is.

Gimme the 5-speed. I don't care what's in front of it.

As always, just MHO. Buy what suits you best.

Last edited by CleanSC; 05-28-04 at 06:23 AM.
Old 05-28-04, 07:39 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: My 2 cents

Originally posted by CleanSC
For me it was easy.

It's all about the tranny. I wanted the V8, but being that it came only in auto I got the 2JZ. The way I drive I need to have a 5-speed. I rather have the wrong engine than have the wrong tranny. (Not that the 2JZ is the wrong engine - it's an excellent powerplant.)

I have yet to drive an automatic car that knows what gear I want to be in.

I don't drag race, I don't need gobs of torque. I prefer a well-balanced ride with more mods to the suspension and brakes than anything else. *That* for me, makes a car enjoyable. A sure-footed, safer ride that can not only hang in the corners with NSX's and Porsches, but also can dodge that idiot that threw their car in front of you.

It's not always about getting in front of everyone with tons of torque. It's also about getting around them, behind them or away from them with confidence.

When you're putting an automatic car thru it's paces and it decides to kick down a gear in the middle of a high-g corner, it's not fun.

You guys mention drag races between SC3 5speeds and SC4s with the SC4s winning. Would the case be the same on an autocross course all else being equal? I've never tried it, so I'm not sure, but I know where my money is.

Gimme the 5-speed. I don't care what's in front of it.

As always, just MHO. Buy what suits you best.
Translation ......unless you want a 5 speed get a sc400!

CEO
Old 05-28-04, 07:50 AM
jcm3
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually sold my 400rwhp 300zx TT 5spd to get a sc400. I love the car..its smooth as silk and as a daily driver its comfortable and reliable. Granted its not very fast ( i pull 0-60 in 6.4-6.5s) all day long..once a us spec supercharger gets released im buying. I love cars that get up and go and are not laggy. My 300 was laggy and so are my friends 3 BPU++ supras. I work on supras and turbo cars all the time (I owned 2 2nd gen eclipse turbos, 3 1st gens, 91 mr2 turbo, stealth TT, 90 & 91 300zxTT, 95 widebodt m3 s/c (still have this)) all heavily modded. I initially drove 2 5spd sc300 and love stick but to make them fast also costs alot of money....gte swaps $$$, single turbo kit $$.
Old 05-28-04, 07:56 AM
jcm3
Pole Position

Sorry got off topic...but i also work on mustangs..my buddy's car we just installed on a modular motor 4.6 a vortec s/c, power pipe, water injection, 3.73 gears, torque convertor, O/R hpipe and magnaflow exhaust w/ custom diablo tune and it hauls. But to compare a lexus to a stang in quality is crazy. Lexus by a landslide wins. Remove the resonators to make the exhaust louder, its just as fast as any stock f-body minus the cobras.
Old 05-28-04, 09:26 AM
MadEmperor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the responses!!!

I've read all the posts, and did some research. It looks like after I get out of the marines this up coming spring I'm going to be looking for a SC400.

How do the SC400s sound?
Is there any way to make them sound like a good domestic. I'm not saying all imports sound bad, by no means. I'm not looking to get a muffler out the back I can stick my shoe in, and break windows with a high pitched screech
Old 05-28-04, 09:45 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

get in one first ... you will see...

CEO
Old 05-28-04, 11:00 AM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

I think I recall someone saying that the SC400 has "one of the best stock exhaust notes in the world" I couldn't agree with them more. Beautiful sound. I have the Magnaflows on mine. And it purrrrrs!

Philly

P.S wonderful choice in the SC4!
Old 05-29-04, 03:38 PM
Verge
Rookie

i'm debating the same thing right now... soon as my supra is sold, i'm buying an SC...

here is what i have found so far though

sc400's tend to be around the same price as auto sc300's..

manual sc300's are priced pretty high...

ok, so you wanna make power with ur SC300...

if it's auto, turbokit = 3,500 dollars + built transmission 2500 dollars... that's 6,000 already, and if you have to pay for the install, gonna be more

if it's manual, it's still gonna be 3,500 bones + the price of a new clutch, and if you read on supraforums, it's a strait up crapshoot with the manual tranny, some of them are holding fine, but about 1/2 of them aren't even holding 350 horsepower... so ur looking at getrag, or built auto anyway... plus the extra price for the rarity of the manual sc300

personally, i think i am going to do some more research on the 1uz while my supra is for sale... i think there is some big power waiting in that thing...
Old 05-29-04, 04:35 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

I'm still waiting to race a local stock SC400
Old 05-30-04, 04:49 AM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

If only I lived in NY. Later SC300 stock atleast!

Philly
Old 06-06-04, 07:38 PM
P.Williams
Pit Crew

Okay, hold up. The potential buyer here stated that he was looking at a 98 SC400. That's the VVT-i 290hp 1UZ. So, that slight 30hp SC3 disadvantage for earlier cars, has become a 65hp disadvantage. Now did the 98's have the 5-spd auto sport-shift tranny, or did they still have the ECT 4-spd auto? Although, the whole sport-shift auto thing doesn't match a true manual, I still think I'd opt for the extra liter and 65 horses. I own both a '94 SC400 and an '02 IS300 5-spd. I certainly like the 2JZ in the IS300, but it's a lighter more modern car. Even so, all IS300 owners are yearning for more power. I wouldn't say that there's really any more potential in the 2JZ. I'm not impressed by the fact that I can spend $500 on a set of pulleys to realize a slight performance gain. I also fail to see how an engine swap or single turbo kit for the SC3, is any more affordable than a supercharger kit for an SC4. I suppose if you're scavenging used turbo parts from the Supra to build your own kit, but you could track down a used centrifugal supercharger and design a kit for your V8. So, in summary, I like both my Lexus cars. In my SC, I prefer the V8. If you have the chance, drive a 5-spd SC3 and an SC4, and choose the one that suits you. I have to believe you'd be far happier with either one of these cars over your Mustang, and either one should match your Stang's performance figures.