SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Rear Interior Assist Handles

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-04, 12:44 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Interior Assist Handles

These have to come off to remove the rear deck. They are held in by two medium sized philips head screws. Holy Mary Mother of God, are these things tight !!! They must have used high strength locktite at the factory. Realistically this should have been a 8 mm bolt - I don't know what they were thinking. Anyhow I used my largest philips head screwdriver and stripped it out. Next I tried a nut driver with a hammer and still did not budge. I'm going to try to find a larger philips head at Sears and if that strips it completely then I'll have to slot the head with my Dremel and use my two foot long flat blade screw driver. If/When I get these bastards off, I'll be replacing them with the hex head bolts that should have been there in the first place. Hope you guys have better luck.
Old 06-12-04, 01:57 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Actually I used an Impact driver not a nut driver...still trying to get the screw off...
Old 06-13-04, 03:41 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

take a bad flathead, and use it as a chisel on the outside of the screw, and hammer it so it turns the screw.

it may take a few wacks, or use the dremel to slot it as you said. both ideas work!
Old 06-14-04, 05:15 AM
LexusBiz
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hehehehe,

I thought my car was the only one with that darn stubburn bolt. I tried everything to get that thing out. Finally I gave up and broke off the plastic around the bolt and used a vise grip to pry off the bolt. Talk about a pain, ended up having to buy a new handle. The only good that came out of it was the new handle had a coat hanger designed into it.

LexusBiz
Old 06-14-04, 06:09 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

I finally got the pax side off. I think I'll have arthritis at least 5 years earlier due to this ! I went to Ace Hardware and picked up a set of allen keyed bolts w/some washers - should work well. The driver's side screws are stilled mangled, but I'll probably leave them as I don't need to take them off now. The new speakers sound great - almost worth the trouble. Bottom line - use a large philips head that fits perfectly and then sit in the rear seat to get good access. Next, put on the big leather weightlifting belt. Then push up on the screw and turn as hard as you can. Or drive to CA and get their governor to help you with it - he's not busy anyhoo.
Old 06-14-04, 09:37 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

assistant handles? i thought they were called the oh ***** handles
Old 06-14-04, 11:28 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Originally posted by southernsc
assistant handles? i thought they were called the oh ***** handles
"Interior Assist Handles" sounded cool right...
or maybe "Supplemental Ingress/Egress Aid" or "Self-Defecation Prevention" .

Last edited by Nomis; 06-14-04 at 11:29 PM.
Old 06-14-04, 11:42 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Rear Interior Assist Handles

Originally posted by Nomis
These have to come off to remove the rear deck.
I am glad someone finally agrees! When I first removed my deck a few years back, I noticed some posts saying you could bend the deck enough to wedge it out, and I said it can't be done! I guess some decks are stiffer than others.
Old 06-16-04, 06:09 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

I tried to bend mine first, but stopped. After removing all the neccessary panels and finally pulling out the deck I discovered a few small tear/breaks in the fiberboard. Had I continued to bend it - it would have broken for sure. PITA.