Vertex Body Kit Question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-04, 01:57 AM
JamesN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Vertex Body Kit Question?

Hey guys,
I have a place that can hook me up with a VERTEX Body Kit Clone for 800 to 1000. It made of fiber glass and it look exactly like the real vertex except that it made by a different company. So what do you guy think of this deal? This is the whole set body kit include everything for half the price of the real one.
Old 06-13-04, 02:24 AM
TopSCecreT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i don't kno about that one......alot of people here do not like imitation anything.......most people here will say save your money and buy the real one......who is the company btw?

800 to 1000 for the vertex copy is a little high....did that company say that the fitment will be as perfect as the real thing? because imitations are infamous for not fitting correctly and you'll end up spending lots of $$$ to make it fit
Old 06-13-04, 06:16 AM
LEXBOGGY
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a kit that I got off ebay, here are some pic's . I'm having it put on this weekend and painted next weekend in a Toyota/Lexus Black Cherry.
Attached Thumbnails Vertex Body Kit Question?-oef-pic-s-140.jpg  
Old 06-13-04, 06:17 AM
LEXBOGGY
Pole Position

Here's another picture of the rest of the kit unpainted
Attached Thumbnails Vertex Body Kit Question?-oef-pic-s-141.jpg  
Old 06-13-04, 06:21 AM
slwazdsm
Driver

hey lexboggy

Is that the kit the "V-Speed" or whatever from a seller called aero designs? How long did it take for you to receive the kit? and was it like $$400 plus shipping?

Last edited by slwazdsm; 06-13-04 at 06:22 AM.
Old 06-13-04, 06:49 AM
LEXBOGGY
Pole Position

It was 368 plus 120 for shipping to my house at Fort drum , NY. It took about week to get here I was in Afghanistan when I ordered it and my wife said it got here about two weeks before i got back in May.
Old 06-13-04, 12:20 PM
Deesc4
Driver School Candidate

hey lex,
I got the same kit at ebay for for $388+$150 shipping and handling. However, I got the whole rear bumper kit not like the one you have just the rear skirt. This kit need major modification in order to fit it right. 1) I have to cut 6 inches on each side of the bar that locate inside the front bumper. 2) on the passenger side skirt i have to cut 1/2 inch. 3) back bumper short about 1/4 inch between the rear lights Well, biggest mistake buying this kit. good luck bro!
Old 06-13-04, 12:25 PM
Suprast4R
Pole Position

i think buying the Vertex Kit for this cheap and spending a few hundred to deal with fitment issues is more worth it than to buy the original for over 2500.
Old 06-13-04, 12:48 PM
JunctionGS
Lexus Test Driver

there are many reasons why the Vertex Kit is "more expensive" and worth a bit more.

1) Ueno-san develops each body kit for fitment for each car he designs the kit for. Each kit is his own design and not stealing someone else's vision.
2) Certain parts of the bumper has more FRP to help with the durability of the kit. For instance, the bottom lip will have more FRP than lets say the part closest to the wheel in the "back for front bumper" That way, it can stand up to the "abuse of the being head-on" Of course a hard enough impact will break it, but it won't crack under a small impact.
3) Ueno-san chooses to use a certain FRP resin that he himself help develop.
4) FRP is a bit more expensive that full fiberglass. FRP will bend a bit more than full fiberglass but is just as light. It is still more breakable than Poly, but its not as brittle as full fiberglass
5) Last is qualiy of fitment. Ueno-san supplies these kits to many pro-drifters in Japan and so fitment is important so that the kit isnt all wobbling around during competition. Just the fact you have to go thru more time and money to make a kit fit is just annoying. when I spend my money on something, it better fit right without any modification. Its like buying a pair of replica Jordan thats a size 14 when you are a 11 and you have to modify it so you can wear it.

Reason why some people on here don't like imitations is because of quality, fitment, and what not. also its about the fact someone went on to develop this line of stuff. Kinda like a painter takes his time to create his masterpiece. In essence, these kits belong to Ueno-san and his imagination. If anyone you want to see the effort into Vertex and what Ueno-san has gone thru to develop Carmake T&E and Vertex, go watch JDM Insider 2. Get an idea on why copying someone R&D is something that just isnt fair and respectful to his hardships. Just like in the music business and art. you just don't go around copyin people's creativity and claim it as your own to gain profit from it. I should just go copy Kanye West's Thru the Wire and then just change 10% of the wording and sell it as my own.

Last edited by JunctionGS; 06-13-04 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-13-04, 03:04 PM
JamesN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks the opinion guys. I guess I have to rethink about getting things for cheap.
Old 06-13-04, 04:34 PM
LEXBOGGY
Pole Position

I'm thinking that I should have just saved the money and got the real thing. The guy at the body shop just called me and to let me know that the kit has a good two inch over hang on the rear lip meaning that the ends of the lip at the wheel opening is two inch's too long, and he said that the support bar behind the front bumper cover can't fit. so but he said that he can still hook up my airbag impact sensor.
Attached Thumbnails Vertex Body Kit Question?-oef-pic-s-189.jpg  
Old 06-13-04, 04:40 PM
LEXBOGGY
Pole Position

Here's a picture of the fit of front bumper cover / air dam. Notice the space at the end of the wheel opening. The splash guard does not cover it all the way. I guess that's what I get for going the cheap route.
Attached Thumbnails Vertex Body Kit Question?-oef-pic-s-191.jpg  

Last edited by LEXBOGGY; 06-13-04 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-13-04, 04:51 PM
LEXBOGGY
Pole Position

that was the wrong picture, here is the right one.
Attached Thumbnails Vertex Body Kit Question?-oef-pic-s-190.jpg  
Old 06-13-04, 07:27 PM
bmsport
Lead Lap

Both ways are a bummer imho, you spend $3k for a kit that gets destroyed in less than a year from spirited driving, or you can spend almost 1/7th that and get a crappy kit that cost another $1k to make it look good if possible...only to destroy that kit the same way as the other one. I think the Vertex kit is the best looking kit on the SC hands down and i would love to have my SC look that hot, but unless you drive like your in a parade all the time its not a very good investment.

BTW, let us know the total cost to make it fit good, we'd like to know for comparative purposes.
Old 06-13-04, 11:22 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bmsport - lmao... i like the parade comment.. so true
blktiger12

Quick Reply: Vertex Body Kit Question?