SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

97+ tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-04, 05:25 AM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by One HoT SC400
I got my 97+ taillights 350 shipped with harness and everything!
where from?
Old 06-25-04, 04:11 PM
Tim
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus of omaha NE. Now i called and ordered the harness running 60 dollars a piece.
Of course when i went down to get the tailights they ordered the wrong set. I guess that there were a couple of months in 97 that had the old body style (95-96) and taillights. He wasn't sure of the right part number for the harness so we ordered the 98.
Old 07-01-04, 04:24 PM
Tim
Pole Position

Well i finally got my tailights in. When i went to plug the existing bulbs into the new harness, what do you know, they changed the bulb style also. Back to the store to spend more money on all new bulbs. Well all and all it ran me about 600 dollars for my impatients on my old tail lights..... So if you are impatient like me then beware....
Old 07-02-04, 05:50 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Post Some Facts

The issue with the 92's is that it uses three -- count em -- THREE 1156 turn signal bulbs on each of the left and right sides of the rear of the car.

Am I the only one that finds it rediculous to have 81 watts of turn signal power PER SIDE on the back of this car? (That's more power than both my HID headlights COMBINED -- and it's just for one corner in the rear!) Almost every other car has only ONE 1156 bulb running at 27 watts. That's obviously legal so I don't see the point with the 92-94 setup (other than to fill in the 4 acres of turn signal back there).

Anyhow if you put a 97+ tail on a 92-94 car, you've replaced the 3 bulbs (81 watts) with only one running at 21 watts. So naturally the flasher goes NUTS wondering where the lost 60 watts are.

Solutions are to:

1. Wire in to 2 more bulbs on each side and tuck them away somewhere. (This pumps 54 watts of heat into your trunk -- 108 watts with the hazards on.) Not too desireable.

2. Buy one of those load equalizer resistors which is basically a power resistor shorted to ground. This also isn't desireable because they generate a lot of heat as well (it's a short circuit you are creating). Plus, you need two of these per side, not just one because of the 2 missing bulbs per side we are trying to compensate for.

3. Use a 97+ flasher relay, DUH! Well, it's not that simple. I went to Toyota and cross referenced the numbers (wish I had a working Lexus EPC to save me this hassle and lost lunch break) and found that the 97+ flasher relay is the same as just about every Toyota since 1990 (with ONE turn signal bulb -- which happens to be all of them basically; that includes 95-96 SC so they don't have this problem). Great, so I popped the relay out of the Celica and took it to the SC. Problem. The 92-94 SC flasher is a BRICK of a unit with a PCB inside and 2 relay coils. It's about the size of a box of 35mm roll film. Quite large. Looking at my electrical manuals it seems they beefed it up since it needs to handle the 3 times the power. Also, it runs 5 wires instead of 3 and the wire routing and design is totally different due to the stupid cornering lights. So the simple 97+ flasher relay swap is out of the question.

That's all I've come up with so far. The solutions that work suck and the one that doesn't suck doesn't work.

I'll look into this more and keep you guys updated.

As for you 95-96 guys, count yer blessings. You only have one bulb like nature intended.
Old 08-29-04, 10:26 AM
zilverz
Driver School Candidate

Is there a module from lexus that fixes this problem? And does this module fix the hyper blinker issue too? If not, are people wiring up an extra two bulbs per side? I just did the 97 conversion and trying to find the best solution.

zilver
Old 08-29-04, 11:34 AM
MeehSoFly
Driver

CleanSC....Nice Writeup!!
Old 08-29-04, 01:01 PM
legendary
Racer

Originally posted by zilverz
Is there a module from lexus that fixes this problem? And does this module fix the hyper blinker issue too? If not, are people wiring up an extra two bulbs per side? I just did the 97 conversion and trying to find the best solution.

zilver

Yes, I found the part number that will correct this from Lexuspros.com

(Lt) Part#81560-24070 Rear Taillight Module Part#89373-24150

Price: $220
Old 08-29-04, 01:37 PM
zilverz
Driver School Candidate

I am not using the front turning lights anymore. I plan on setting up the new fog lights on a relay connected to the parking lights. Will not having those two bulbs in the circuit affect that module from Lexuspros?

thanks,

zilver
Old 08-29-04, 04:07 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so to those who have a 95-96 SC and upgraded to 97-00 taillights, did you have to get new bulbs? if so which ones had to be replaced and what sizes and how many do you need of them? i'm about to get my vertex bodykit on with the 97+ conversion parts and if the bulbs are different, i need to get them to my bodyshop to put them in while they install everything else.... so end question is... what are the bulb sizes for brake, parkin, turn, and reverse?
Old 08-30-04, 05:51 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Originally posted by MeehSoFly
CleanSC....Nice Writeup!!
Thanks.

I promised an update so here goes. I eventually went with Solution #1 of installing more bulbs in the circuit. What I did was tap the turn signal line in the trunk and wire in two 1156 sockets that I salvaged from the old tails. I tie wrapped them together and attached them to the rear trunk wall behind the lining where they do not touch anything.

Not exactly an ideal solution but one that definitely works. The car is happy because it's powering what is was designed to power so I prefer this over the "load equalizer" resistors.
Old 08-30-04, 05:52 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Originally posted by LexAnt
so to those who have a 95-96 SC and upgraded to 97-00 taillights, did you have to get new bulbs? if so which ones had to be replaced and what sizes and how many do you need of them? i'm about to get my vertex bodykit on with the 97+ conversion parts and if the bulbs are different, i need to get them to my bodyshop to put them in while they install everything else.... so end question is... what are the bulb sizes for brake, parkin, turn, and reverse?
Lex:

The new tails come with all the bulbs included so you're good to go.
Old 08-30-04, 11:25 AM
agapepaga
Driver School Candidate

Default hyper-blink

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&highlight=ohm

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&highlight=ohm
Old 10-06-05, 06:50 PM
RGW LLC
Former Sponsor

so everyone is talking about this 97+ Rear Taillight Module......

where is this module at?? i mean i got a 99 SC here, thinking about take the module out from it, and where can you find this module?
Old 10-07-05, 03:38 AM
Son Gokou
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

This is where the Rear Brake Light Sensor / Rear Taillight Module on my 1991 Soarer and i assume the sc300/sc400 Rear Taillight Module should be in the same location:

As you can see in the pcis, the Rear Taillight Module are located behind the fuel filler and CD stacker.
Old 11-08-23, 08:08 AM
Grxm
4th Gear

Originally Posted by CleanSC
The issue with the 92's is that it uses three -- count em -- THREE 1156 turn signal bulbs on each of the left and right sides of the rear of the car.

Am I the only one that finds it rediculous to have 81 watts of turn signal power PER SIDE on the back of this car? (That's more power than both my HID headlights COMBINED -- and it's just for one corner in the rear!) Almost every other car has only ONE 1156 bulb running at 27 watts. That's obviously legal so I don't see the point with the 92-94 setup (other than to fill in the 4 acres of turn signal back there).

Anyhow if you put a 97+ tail on a 92-94 car, you've replaced the 3 bulbs (81 watts) with only one running at 21 watts. So naturally the flasher goes NUTS wondering where the lost 60 watts are.

Solutions are to:

1. Wire in to 2 more bulbs on each side and tuck them away somewhere. (This pumps 54 watts of heat into your trunk -- 108 watts with the hazards on.) Not too desireable.

2. Buy one of those load equalizer resistors which is basically a power resistor shorted to ground. This also isn't desireable because they generate a lot of heat as well (it's a short circuit you are creating). Plus, you need two of these per side, not just one because of the 2 missing bulbs per side we are trying to compensate for.

3. Use a 97+ flasher relay, DUH! Well, it's not that simple. I went to Toyota and cross referenced the numbers (wish I had a working Lexus EPC to save me this hassle and lost lunch break) and found that the 97+ flasher relay is the same as just about every Toyota since 1990 (with ONE turn signal bulb -- which happens to be all of them basically; that includes 95-96 SC so they don't have this problem). Great, so I popped the relay out of the Celica and took it to the SC. Problem. The 92-94 SC flasher is a BRICK of a unit with a PCB inside and 2 relay coils. It's about the size of a box of 35mm roll film. Quite large. Looking at my electrical manuals it seems they beefed it up since it needs to handle the 3 times the power. Also, it runs 5 wires instead of 3 and the wire routing and design is totally different due to the stupid cornering lights. So the simple 97+ flasher relay swap is out of the question.

That's all I've come up with so far. The solutions that work suck and the one that doesn't suck doesn't work.

I'll look into this more and keep you guys updated.

As for you 95-96 guys, count yer blessings. You only have one bulb like nature intended.

how and where would you put the second resistor on the taillights . Right now I only have one on either side but only hooked up to the signal bulbs

Quick Reply: 97+ tail lights