lexus4jess
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

thats some good welding.
Old 07-08-04, 11:55 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks cool Jared, I especially like the ignition and the window switches. If you do the climate control over like Jose did using the cold cathode you'll get the uniformity you want. I give it a
Old 07-08-04, 03:59 PM
LexusBiz
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Jared,

You gotta tell me how you got the LED's into the driver master switch assembly. I got the LED into the passenger window switch. But as hard as I tried I could not disassemble the master switch buttons. I could not get the toggle switch for the window buttons off the base to access the light bulb.

Can you show me or tell me how you got the switch off the assembly to access the bulb on the master switch?

Also, what did you use for the ignition switch ligthing. Is that a optic light cable wrapped around the assembly. I just stuck a blue LED into the existing light bulb socket. It works nice, but the light is unevenly dispersed.

I also started off with the three LED's in the climate control unit. No matter what I tried (light dispensing panels, light absorbing filters, etc...) I could not get rid of the 3 light spots on the display. I think it was CleanSC that posted the pics of using cold cathode tubes. I got my hands on a set of 6" blue cold cathodes and fabricated it into the A/C panel. Doing some final work on the unit, should have it finished soon. The lighting result, so far, if perfect nice intense blue, with even light pattern. I'll post some pics.

Thanks
LexusBiz

P.S. I never thought to change out the lights on the Trip/ODO buttons. Thanks for giving me idea/project for this weekend.
Old 07-09-04, 03:23 PM
Tryk
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by CleanSC

Have you done any changes to the actual radio? It looks very white. What year is the car? I need to mod mine to match my climate control.

Great job man. Keep us posted.
Thanks!
Well now my radio unit is red to match the climate control. If you want yours to match your climate control you could use a couple 5mm hyper white led's. Or do like I did and use two 3mm red led's in each side of the unit. The radio has a very nice difuser(unlike the climate control) and led's work great!. My car is a 1992.
Here are a couple pics of how the led's are mounted in my Pioneer unit. I also had to grind into the difuser a little for the led's to fit, but it worked out awesome. I am very happy with it.

Please read: The reason I did not originally post pictures of the inside of the radio unit is that I don't want people trying to do this themselves unless they are experienced with small electronics. The radio unit is fairly complicated and it wouldn't be hard to mess something up. Please if you are not comfortable doing this send your unit to OLT, it is definitly worth the money.

Old 07-09-04, 03:53 PM
Tryk
Pole Position

Originally posted by siniquezu
:thumbup" for the work. One day I will get to some of those light bulbs.
LED's, light emitting diodes. They are far different from light blubs and much, MUCH more rad

Originally posted by O.L.T.
for effort.
Thank you master :bowdown:

Originally posted by adidas1532

you've done some cool things so far, i'm sure it'll blow us away when you're done!
Oh just wait till you see what I am going to try!

Originally posted by bizzy928

Wow very impressive! Thats a lot of hard work! Keep it up buddy!
Thanks!

Originally posted by VSsc400

nice!

it does seem that the LED's you used on the climate control seems to be too bright though... otherwise....

AWESOME!
Well not that the led's are too bright, it is just very hard to get an even light in the climate control unit, but i have a plan, and it does include led's.

Originally posted by Soarer_25GTT
DAMN! Looks hot! This is exactly what I want to do with my Soarer, I've already got a blue dash (and boost meter too ) but I need to do all the other lights in the car. Looks great champ!
Thank you Take some pics of that dash, I would love to see it!
Old 07-09-04, 03:54 PM
Tryk
Pole Position

Originally posted by southernsc

i ordered some led's last week. i plan on doing exactly what you did, except im going all white in mine. looks awsome
Thanks! Good luck with the project!

Originally posted by SC400Dude

Man, I'm jealous that you and Mr. OLT can do such great work.....
I am not worthy of being mentioned with the great OLT. hehe. Just kidding thanks for the comment

Originally posted by tpham7

wow, those blue LEDs in the window switch is HOT
Thanks! It is one of my favorite mods so far

Originally posted by lexus4jess2

thats some good welding.
soldering, thanks :P And I can also weld like a mad-man

Originally posted by mikeloc24

Looks cool Jared, I especially like the ignition and the window switches. If you do the climate control over like Jose did using the cold cathode you'll get the uniformity you want. I give it a
Thanks! I have a different plan for the climate control, but I don't want to release my secret just yet. It involves led's though.
Old 07-09-04, 04:07 PM
Tryk
Pole Position

Originally posted by LexusBiz
Hey Jared,

You gotta tell me how you got the LED's into the driver master switch assembly. I got the LED into the passenger window switch. But as hard as I tried I could not disassemble the master switch buttons. I could not get the toggle switch for the window buttons off the base to access the light bulb.

Can you show me or tell me how you got the switch off the assembly to access the bulb on the master switch?

Also, what did you use for the ignition switch ligthing. Is that a optic light cable wrapped around the assembly. I just stuck a blue LED into the existing light bulb socket. It works nice, but the light is unevenly dispersed.

I also started off with the three LED's in the climate control unit. No matter what I tried (light dispensing panels, light absorbing filters, etc...) I could not get rid of the 3 light spots on the display. I think it was CleanSC that posted the pics of using cold cathode tubes. I got my hands on a set of 6" blue cold cathodes and fabricated it into the A/C panel. Doing some final work on the unit, should have it finished soon. The lighting result, so far, if perfect nice intense blue, with even light pattern. I'll post some pics.

Thanks
LexusBiz

P.S. I never thought to change out the lights on the Trip/ODO buttons. Thanks for giving me idea/project for this weekend.
First off, it is obvious that Toyota didn't want the window switches to be taken apart. It was not a fun time getting into it. The main driver's switch is the hardest to get off. I wish I would have taken pictures of the switch when it was apart now. But to get that switch off I had to dremel the sides of the actual switch off(that are not visible because of the covers once it is installed). Hopefully this makes sense. Then I was able to pry it off similar to the other smaller switch beside it.
It was hard to do, I am glad I didn't break anything in the process. There are already resistors installed that work great with the blue led's I used so that was a nice bonus

For the ignition ring that is just extra wiring that you are seeing that goes to the second LED. I dremeled a spot for a second LED to be installed. I just hot glued it in place and wired it all up. This gave me the more even lighting that I was looking for.

Good luck with your climate unit! I still plan to use LED's...but something totally different.
Old 07-10-04, 08:08 AM
jaysmooth
Driver School Candidate

awesome job
Old 07-10-04, 01:53 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

Nice job, like the blue lights on door & key switch. Was it hard getting the key light to blue? I like it.
Old 07-16-04, 09:42 PM
Tryk
Pole Position

Oooooooooooh some of the LED's I ordered got here today. Soon I will start on my next project
Old 07-16-04, 10:10 PM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

You do realise that there are square wide viewing angle LEDs available? They don't emit in that sharp cone like your round ones do... they have only a slight hot spot in the centre... with a piece of paper about an inch in front of them, the pattern looks better (wider spread) than with an incandescent bulb.
Old 07-16-04, 10:38 PM
Bryan858
Lead Lap

Default Great Job!!!

That looks awesome buddy... How long did it take for you to do the Climate control? mine has a bad display already as well as a burnt bulb so I'll probably do this if i can find a good condition CC for a good price... Hmm, out of curiosity why did you need the resistors for each individual LED? Also wondering where you bought the LED's? Would any LED work fine? Sorry to ask so many questions but I just find it very intrigueing.. Once again great job and can't wait to see how your car turns out once its completed...
Bryan
Old 07-16-04, 11:13 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow man it looks good so far.. are you going to use all of those led's on your car ??
Old 07-17-04, 12:07 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok so now i have started my project as well. but how did you get to the lights for the window controls? i popped the controls out, unscrewed everything, but it feels like im going to break apart the circut board if i try to pull the plastic off. how did you get to them? also how did you get to the ignition ring? so far i have done the foot wells, trunk, and glove compartment. im going to order more cause i didnt get very many at all.
Old 07-17-04, 12:15 PM
Tryk
Pole Position

Originally posted by southernsc
ok so now i have started my project as well. but how did you get to the lights for the window controls? i popped the controls out, unscrewed everything, but it feels like im going to break apart the circut board if i try to pull the plastic off. how did you get to them? also how did you get to the ignition ring? so far i have done the foot wells, trunk, and glove compartment. im going to order more cause i didnt get very many at all.
Did you take the switches off of the window control? The hard part was taking the switches off, after that it was easy to get apart.

For the ignition ring, I pulled at the dash piece around the ignition until it popped out. I could pull it out enough to get to the one screw holding it in from underneath. Then it was a matter of soldering the wires back up once I had the led's installed.

Good luck with your LED mods!

Quick Reply: Pictures of the LED work in my sc300