SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC300 Performance: what are the options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-01, 03:45 PM
greglovern

I'm considering getting an early SC300 5sp, and wondering what reasonable options there are to improve its performance. Can anyone fill me in on the best bang-for-buck performance upgrades, and approximate costs? I'm a performance dummy and would have to have a professional do the work.

From scanning this forum I gather that chips are out, and F-Max and Toyomoto both make turbos. And "Mo" is working on a supercharger? Any thoughts on which of these, or others, to chose, and why?

I would be using the SC300 as my daily driver in Seattle (very bad traffic, lots of hills), and probably never take it to a track. I'm more interested in adding power at lower rpm's, and having a relatively smooth power curve, than in total horsepower. I don't care about increasing top spead, I only care about improving 0 - ~90 acceleration.

Many Thanks,

Greg
Old 04-08-01, 07:20 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you're willing to go turbo...($5k minimum parts), I'd go with an SC400 with torque convertor upgrade... The best you can expect from a stockish 5sp in good shape would be the upper 6 second range... Even exhaust, intake won't put you lower than lower 6 second range...

A stage 1 turbo from Toyomoto would cost approximately $5k, would be around 6psi, would easily be a daily driver, 6pounds wouldn't stress the engine much, and you could keep the stock fuel system. (May need fuel pump, though). I was amazed at the performance when I was running 6psi... Could dust off Mustangs or GS400s on the highway with ease, car had a bunch of torque as low as 3k, and didn't need any ignition or fuel mods to have the car run smoothly. I would say 6psi would give a 0-60 of around 5 to 5.5 seconds. You'd still retain much of your original fuel economy as well. Only downside I can see is the install can be expensive as a good shop would probably take 40hrs for the job...
An install break down estimate as follows based on my times:
2hr fuel pump.
3hr fuel line splice and run
5hr exhaust / engine disassembly
5hr intercooler and plumbing
8hr electronic boxes, wire, etc.
5hr fitting of turbo, running supply lines, etc.
5hr reassembly of engine components
5hr testing and final work
Old 08-21-10, 07:40 PM
WillyD
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300T
Unless you're willing to go turbo...($5k minimum parts), I'd go with an SC400 with torque convertor upgrade... The best you can expect from a stockish 5sp in good shape would be the upper 6 second range... Even exhaust, intake won't put you lower than lower 6 second range...

A stage 1 turbo from Toyomoto would cost approximately $5k, would be around 6psi, would easily be a daily driver, 6pounds wouldn't stress the engine much, and you could keep the stock fuel system. (May need fuel pump, though). I was amazed at the performance when I was running 6psi... Could dust off Mustangs or GS400s on the highway with ease, car had a bunch of torque as low as 3k, and didn't need any ignition or fuel mods to have the car run smoothly. I would say 6psi would give a 0-60 of around 5 to 5.5 seconds. You'd still retain much of your original fuel economy as well. Only downside I can see is the install can be expensive as a good shop would probably take 40hrs for the job...
An install break down estimate as follows based on my times:
2hr fuel pump.
3hr fuel line splice and run
5hr exhaust / engine disassembly
5hr intercooler and plumbing
8hr electronic boxes, wire, etc.
5hr fitting of turbo, running supply lines, etc.
5hr reassembly of engine components
5hr testing and final work

are you saying to get a sc400 or just get a torque converter from a sc400 and installing it to a sc3