SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My Baby needs a face lift!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-04, 12:02 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 1997+ body styling is great -- drop the car on coilovers to keep yourself happy with the looks.

Then, if you want to do a turbo kit, start getting the bits and pieces together.

Maybe think about getting a built tranny or at least a valve job first... once you subject your car to that kind of HP, your tranny will die in short order (I'm thinking 500 HP here)

The tranny, gauges, the fuel system, the electonrics. Then buy a kit (kits typically don't include these items)

About gauges -- they're the vital signs of your engine, don't skimp out.

As far as kits go, there's a few companies that make them.

Boost Logic makes a awesome kit -- $4,500 with a FMIC.

Sound Performance also makes a nice kit... I haven't seen it, but it's SP we're talking about here.

Bean said it over at SupraForums, but long gone are the days of 1/2 a kit for 6k that only has a side mount and a log style exhaust manifold...

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...hreadid=201082

Old 07-12-04, 12:27 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nah. Patience is a virtue. Piece together the parts you need for the turbo, even if it takes a while.

Don't get rid of that clean ride you have. You have the updated body style, which most of us who own 96 and down cars think about upgrading to at one time or another. If anything only get on older SC as a project car and keep yours as the daily driver. If you're worried about the auto trans, get it built. A member named Lex Luthor is in the process of turboing his auto, although his is '99 with VVT-i, which is a whole 'nother issue.

Last edited by Technics; 07-12-04 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-12-04, 12:40 PM
sumtingwon
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

reply:

Maybe think about getting a built tranny or at least a valve job first... once you subject your car to that kind of HP, your tranny will die in short order (I'm thinking 500 HP here)

The tranny, gauges, the fuel system, the electonrics. Then buy a kit (kits typically don't include these items)

The reason that i'm going back to the older model is for the main reason above. Either way, i'm goin to have a rebuilt tranny that can withstand the high HP. Plus many other mods for the car too once i put in the turbo. To me, its a waist putting a turbo with a whole bunch of mods on a newer sc. Once i sell this 97sc i will have enough money to mod the older sc with the turbo and body kit. Plus, what ever money that i have now..i can add it into my reserve/fund for the older project.

i'm pretty sure i can sell my car for $11,000. New timing belt, distributor cap/rotor, serpentine belt, ps pump and all new break pads. Struts and springs will stay with the car and the factory wheels.

I figure i can buy a 92-94 sc for around $7000. I have a personal mechanic that does really cheap labor for me The difference of $4000 can purchase a used turbo kit. Reason for a used kit is that i want something that can be just bolted on and known to work on another sc. NO MODS required!!!! I am hoping to have all the gauges and exhausts along with the turbo related items for around $4000. I've never had a turbo car before so i think a used turbo will suffice.

The money that i have now will be used for a body kit and paint/labor.

If this were to happen...then i'll have almost the exact car and color with full body kit and turbo. Otherwise, i'll just have a 97 sc3 with body kit.

What do u think of my reasoning??

I doubt that this can happen in a couple of months. This will be some decision to make. And then lots of time to carry it out.

OR i can just keep it as is and turbo the car in a couple of years.

godspeed,
md
Old 07-12-04, 02:01 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

If I were you I'd wait out my hunch for a week or so to make sure it's what I want to do. And when diving into projects like that, I always try to figure in 15-20% more money than originally anticipated. You'll always run into unexpected events when doing a major modification (although I can't speak for turboing a SC3, personally).

Also, consider that you may find it hard to accept the fact that the body and interior of a 92 SC300 will more than likely be in worse condition than your current ride. This may not bother you as much as it would me. The grass is always greener on the other side! Good luck man!
Old 07-13-04, 07:36 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

i would keep the 97 and if you wanted a kit it would almost pay for itself as u can easily sell ur 97bumpers and skirts for 700+ to people who have 96 and below. that would just leave you a little bit short of a turbo. but with patience u can keep ur nice newer sc and still get turbo and a kit. most likely if u buy a older model you'll be spending 2g's on maintence like me and since u already did the maintence on the 97and taken care of your car for so long and add some mods why would u want to start all over again and go through the headaches of owning a older car and finding out it doesnt run as nice as your 97 and finding out other costly expenses. besides the older cars have issues like doors saging worn bushings burned out cluster needles ect those would be much added expenses. and you'd have to spend alot of extra money to upgrade the tail lights back to 97 and u'd loose the softer leather seats ect.
Old 07-13-04, 07:50 PM
sumtingwon
Rookie

Yes..i agree with all of you so far...i'll keep the car...like the saying, "be happy with what you have, cause there are many out there would love to be in your shoe".

thanx,
md
Old 07-14-04, 03:14 AM
Driver

Don't you mean, "be in your shoes?" to be in your shoe would be a really tight fit.
Old 07-14-04, 08:24 AM
sumtingwon
Rookie

Talking

yup