Problems after slamming door

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-04, 05:19 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Problems after slamming door

Guys,

last night I got a flat tire - prob my 5th in the last 3 months. I was really really pissed and when I got out of the car I slammed the door. Now, the door will not open from the outside. It will from the inside. Also, my stereo quit working. It is turning on - I am just not getting any sound out of it?? What did I do?? I am soo mad at myself for being such an idiot but I just lost it and acted stupid. Please help,

jonny
Old 07-23-04, 05:34 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Problems after slamming door

Originally posted by Dx3
Guys,

last night I got a flat tire - prob my 5th in the last 3 months. I was really really pissed and when I got out of the car I slammed the door. Now, the door will not open from the outside. It will from the inside. Also, my stereo quit working. It is turning on - I am just not getting any sound out of it?? What did I do?? I am soo mad at myself for being such an idiot but I just lost it and acted stupid. Please help,

jonny
The door not opening, probably a clip from inside the door -cheap fix if you do it by urself....the stereo, I would check the fuse underneath the hood.....

try this, if not, I don't have any other suggestions....
Old 07-23-04, 06:24 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Problems after slamming door

Originally posted by SC400Dude
the stereo, I would check the fuse underneath the hood.....
Well it turns on, just not getting any sound - so fuse unfortunately won't be the cause. Thank you though.

I took the door panel off, and just as I got it off it started to thunderstorm!!!

Just my luck!!

Thx

Jonny
Old 07-23-04, 06:40 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

if you were in the trunk when changing the tire, check to see that you didnt pull a wire or plug loose or something, the amp is under the cd changer and it is exposed to the same area where the spare tire is, as it can be seen under the changer when the foam is removed beside the tire.

on the door problem............... *note to self - never slam the door.
Old 07-23-04, 09:23 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

OLT,

Yeah, I checked all of the connections and they all look ok. I also noticed that my tailights just quit working too. Somehow a demon has entered my car and is slowly wreaking havoc!!!

Will continue workin on it tomorrow and I will keep you updated. Any other advice is appreciated,

Peace

Jonny
Old 07-23-04, 11:20 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

J,

watch out brother, sounds like a pinched wire in the door or door frame is grounding things out. a dead battery will occur if the fuse doesnt go first, and if nehtiner occur, FIRE. so be careful.
Old 07-23-04, 11:27 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it just your cd player thats not getting sound or both cd and radio? If its just the cd player then I can tell you its a costly repair because I've had the same problem in my LS400. It costed like $350 and I cant live without a cd player so I had to get it fixed. There was a problem with the laser and I used to get VERY little sound when I turned up the volume to MAX. Dont know if its the same problem that you have but just a word of advice... if I could do it over again I would just get another in-dash cd player/mp3 player. I went to quite a few people and they ALL said they have to send it in to get an estimate and the estimate for all the places was $45 which would be refunded if I would get the work done so I just had them do it.. hope this helps.
Old 07-24-04, 12:49 AM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

many of my ex-girlfriends slammed my door pretty damn hard and there weren't any problems with my door.
just that my speakers went on and off for a while, then it started working again by itself.
Old 07-24-04, 12:59 PM
MRLEXO
Lead Lap

Default Re: Re: Re: Problems after slamming door

Originally posted by Dx3
Well it turns on, just not getting any sound - so fuse unfortunately won't be the cause. Thank you though.

I took the door panel off, and just as I got it off it started to thunderstorm!!!

Just my luck!!

Thx

Jonny
Just because the stereo turns on, doesn't necessarily mean that it's not a fuse. I used to blow my fuse all the time when I had 3 12" in my trunk . You should check your fuses just in case.
Old 07-24-04, 01:47 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

OLT,

I was thinking the same thing - now I just gotta find the wire that is the problem!!

Guys,

I have an aftermarket deck with 3 10's and 2 amps in the trunk - but I will go check the fuses in them. Thx again everyone for your advice,

Appreciated,

Jonny
Old 07-24-04, 03:44 PM
Din
Lexus Champion

aftermarket system check to see if the amps are turning on. If not check the fuses and wire. Or maybe when u slammed the door you knocked the RCAs wires out somehow ???
Old 07-24-04, 03:59 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

OK guys,

Here's the latest.

Door not opening - the yellow plastic piece that holds the cable onto the door handle is broken. So, it look like I am going to have to JB Weld the metal pieces together. The space in there is very cramped so I hope it will work.

Stereo Problem - I checked the fuses and connections to the amps. Then I realised that one of the amps has a red "diagnostic" light on - so I am guessing that is the problem. What do u do when this happens?? Does it need replaced or can I fix it?

Tailights - I have no idea. Bulbs are fine, fuses are fine. So, I used a lighter tester at the lick panel fuse box for the tailights and it is getting no juice?? What does this mean?? Rear turn signals and rear brake lights are working fine?? Any ideas??

Thx guys,

JOnny
Old 07-25-04, 10:31 PM
hotttoddie
Driver School Candidate

I dont think I would recommend JBWelding that plastic clip... If its the same one Im thinking about... I had a similar (same?) problem...

The door wouldnt open from the outside, but inside worked fine...

It was a plastic clip that joined the outside door handle to a push rod connecting to the door lock assembly... If thats the same thing that happened to you _dont JBWeld_... That joint NEEDS to flex... If it doesnt flex youll stress the push rod and cause it to fail on the connection to the door lock assembly and there ain't NO JBWelding that... Believe me I tried....

The part is a 6 dollar clip at the dealer... Just cough it up and go home happy....

If thats not your problem, carry on then... But be careful on what you Weld... Alot of that stuff in the door lock linkage needs to flex... may not seem like it, but it does...

Just my $0.02...

-=todd=-
Old 07-26-04, 08:18 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Todd,

I tried to call the dealer and they wanted to sell me the whole handle - what a surprise that was!!! I am going to go tomorrow however and make them sell me the clip.

Nothing like driving a Lexus and having to climb through the passenger side - priceless!!

Peace,

Jonny
Old 07-26-04, 10:03 PM
hotttoddie
Driver School Candidate

if ya need... ill mail ya one... that is if thats your problem... look in the bottom of your door... you should(might) see pieces of a yellow clip...

Quick Reply: Problems after slamming door