SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC Guy's. By request i will be doing a limited amount of Cathode Conversions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-04, 08:20 PM
L. L. S.
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC Guy's. By request i will be doing a limited amount of Cathode Conversions.

OK, since i am now getting asked about it so much, i'll make you guy's a deal......

I'll do a limited amount of them for you. 1 yr warrenty. I'll covert the climate for $99 and the speedo for $299 (backlight).

So we are gauging interest here, who would like Lextech to offer the conversion?
Attached Thumbnails SC Guy's. By request i will be doing a limited amount of Cathode Conversions.-sunrise-003.jpg  
Old 07-29-04, 08:22 PM
L. L. S.
Former Sponsor

i have a supplier that has ensured me he can offer quality tubes that will last.
Attached Thumbnails SC Guy's. By request i will be doing a limited amount of Cathode Conversions.-sunrise-002.jpg  
Old 07-29-04, 08:25 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

climate for 99 bucks? does that mean i cant use my air conditioner for the time it takes for me to ship to you, for you to finish the project and send it back>? oh no, im going to be so hot....

when does the gb start!

btw, how close a match (color wise) is the cold cathode tube color and LED whites?
Old 07-29-04, 08:27 PM
L. L. S.
Former Sponsor

Both are very white in color. the cathodes may be a little more white, and definately bright. the thing is that led's cannot be used on the climates. this is the only way to go white. and it works well.
Old 07-29-04, 08:53 PM
L. L. S.
Former Sponsor

climate in cathode white.
Attached Thumbnails SC Guy's. By request i will be doing a limited amount of Cathode Conversions.-cathode-climate-001.jpg  
Old 07-29-04, 08:54 PM
L. L. S.
Former Sponsor

Attached Thumbnails SC Guy's. By request i will be doing a limited amount of Cathode Conversions.-cathode-climate-005.jpg  
Old 07-30-04, 06:23 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Post Practical uses...

Oh NOW you go and offer these... hehe

I did this conversion to my climate control DIY style a few months back so I can offer some experiences.

Check here for pics/info: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=120816

I love mine so far, but the only gripe I have (get this) it's TOO bright. lol.

Driving at night is like having a neon kit installed in your dash. The whole interior lights up. Your face is illuminated for all to see, and it strains the eyes as you try to focus at the road. (You try looking at something dark with a light shining in your eyes).

Besides that, no complaints.

Also, LLS... Have you ever considered using the same light dispersion method that the radio uses on the climate control? The radio makes GREAT use of LEDs (I have LEDs in mine) with just a block of acrylic with the rear face sandblasted/acid etched. Add a white translucent panel to the front and done. This can easily be transfered over into the climate control so you can use LEDs... Either steal one from a radio, or fab up your own...

Just some thoughts as I may go LED in my climate control. It's just too friggin bright.

Awesome GB! I wish it happened sooner hehe. for listening to what people want and making it happen.
Old 07-30-04, 10:13 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm definitely interested as my climate is starting to get funky. Jose brought up the point of it being really bright, is there a more mellow version? Just wondering because I don't want my interior cabin all lit up at night when I'm driving

But like I said, I'm definitely interested as my climate is going kaput...
Old 07-30-04, 11:08 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 352 Likes on 228 Posts

Jose, if you will read the directions on the transformer packging you recieved, you will see that the transformer can be ran at 3 different voltages. I have found a good balance on using the method that leaves the 4 pin open.

I also checked with the guy's you purchased from and they are a salvage place that buy's overstock and closeouts. This means they are selling used inventory. I'd be weary of the age on the tube before you got it. SO keep an eye on it.

The only way the climate can be done in LED's is to use *EL lighting and so far there is not a screen that size.
Old 07-30-04, 11:33 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

OLT:

I am running the 4th pin open circuit at the moment. I suppose I could try jumping pins 4 and 5 tho it seems it won't make much of a difference (1.5ma). I'll give it a shot tho.

Yes that place is a surplus reseller. Overstock and closeouts are still new goods and they are good with stating when an item is a pull or used. These particular parts are new and their shipped condition verifies that. Even if they don't last too long it's okay, I've taken everything apart enough times to not make it a big deal. For specific parts Mouser and Digi-Key have served me very well.

What are your thoughts on using a second cold cathode tube in the radio for a perfect match? I have 2 leds now but it's quite dim (compared to the cathode climate control). I'll try 4 and play with resistances when my led shipment comes in. If I can't get that to work well then I may try a tube in the radio.
Old 07-30-04, 07:35 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 352 Likes on 228 Posts

I don't see anyway at all to do it in the radio. Have you seen how they original lights are used? Completely different. a few white led's will handle the radio perfectly.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 07-30-04 at 07:35 PM.