SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Cheap Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-04 | 04:20 PM
bladefist
Driver School Candidate

oh and calvin, what kind of body kit is that, and what do you think it would cost. I wanna start thinking about a body kit, and start savin up some $
Old 08-10-04 | 04:32 PM
TopSCecreT
Lexus Test Driver

the first pic is my car, i have the JIC Magic kit

the second one has the T & E Vertex kit

JIC runs about $1500 brand new and the Vertex runs about $2700 brand new

if you take a look at the classifieds, i believe both kits are being advertised for sale right now, check them out.
Old 08-10-04 | 04:53 PM
bladefist
Driver School Candidate

im almost afraid to ask this, dont wanna ruin my reputation on this site, this early in the game....but....eek...who installs the body kit? A body shop or can yo do it yourself?
Old 08-10-04 | 04:58 PM
TopSCecreT
Lexus Test Driver

well, you can have a shop paint it for you and you install it yourself, you can have the shop do all the work, or if you want to rush, just spray paint the kit black and install it yourself

id have a good shop handle the bodywork, i don't trust myself

Last edited by TopSCecreT; 08-10-04 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-10-04 | 05:34 PM
bladefist
Driver School Candidate

awww....so the kit doesnt come already painted for our cars. Wow....thats a lot of crap to have to go through...doesnt sound very pleasant.
Old 08-10-04 | 05:51 PM
legendary
Racer

modding isn't easy...that is what makes this an enthusiasts' sport...you add your touch to the car....if everything came "ready to eat", then we would see the same of everything EVERYWHERE.

I don't know about you, but I hate seeing everybody and their great uncle driving around with APC stickers and altezza taillights all about! That is what helps keep this vehicle from being destroyed like that....please help keep the dream alive.....

Read the very detailed FAQ here:
www.Intellexual.net

Take your time and do it right, sounds like you got your car with some nice mileage.

Spend your time searching here and on the FAQ above......you will find your answers all over...best practices and options.

Enjoy and welcome to CL!
Old 08-10-04 | 06:11 PM
bladefist
Driver School Candidate

Yea I know...I think thats the reason i first thought of lexus when it was time for a new car, figured i would rarely see the same car driving down the highway w/ me. And I want to personalize it and such...but i'm just so scared of some trashy shop or some idiot messin w/ my car, and screwing something up...i'm sure everyone who has modded has gone through that fear....but the big problem for me is, if something bad did happen, i dont think i could afford to reverse it. Anyways, thanks for all the suggestions
Old 08-10-04 | 06:27 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

yea, i am glad nobody makes altezza's for our cars. whew!
Old 08-10-04 | 10:12 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

bladefist -- welcome.. and are u into the martial arts as well?

Back to the topic.. I bought a 92sc3 with a new motor installed (only 40k)... The car itself had 160k and the interior was shot.
I went to bone yards and picked up mint door panels for $80per piece/back seat$100 and from a member both driver and passenger seats for $200 plus shipping... Buffed and cleaned the bezel and wallah the interior is nice... Monitor the marketplace, fleabay and boneyards for interior parts...

!! Rims make an SC in my opinion... forget a bodykit..(as an initial mod)... a clean and waxed exterior with a nice set of rims will make the car look better..period... use advice and photochop from our members to assist in rim selection and size / offset requirements
Good luck
Old 08-10-04 | 11:22 PM
MeehSoFly
Driver

You're Right blktiger12
Rims do make the Sc look nice. That's why i bought my Sc400...cause of the rims. Really wanted a Gs400
but for the price of the sc400 plus 18's...I took the Sc.
Old 08-11-04 | 06:52 AM
bladefist
Driver School Candidate

I think i'm just gonna get all my stupid questions out in one thread, instead of cluttering up the forum w/ tons of stupid questions....

Ok...

For all my life, i've driven a 2,000 dollar truck...so i dont know anything about body kits or rims, cuz any mods would have costed more then my previous cars...

rims: are they wheels, or do they go on the wheel?

and if i get rims, who installs them? wheel/tire shop, or me?
Old 08-11-04 | 07:49 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Originally posted by bladefist
I think i'm just gonna get all my stupid questions out in one thread, instead of cluttering up the forum w/ tons of stupid questions....

Ok...

For all my life, i've driven a 2,000 dollar truck...so i dont know anything about body kits or rims, cuz any mods would have costed more then my previous cars...

rims: are they wheels, or do they go on the wheel?

and if i get rims, who installs them? wheel/tire shop, or me?
no need to worry...rims are what you see from the brakes outward...rims/wheels are the same.. ok the rims/wheels have to be mounted to the tires..something you cant do unless you have a machine..but if you bring the tires and the wheels/rims to a tire shop they can do all of it for you..for about $50.00..i hope this helps..

CEO
Old 08-11-04 | 07:51 AM
bladefist
Driver School Candidate

Ok, thats what I thought. Thanks.

Is there any kind of market for stock rims after you purchase your aftermarket rims, to help defer the cost?
Old 08-11-04 | 07:53 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Originally posted by bladefist
Ok, thats what I thought. Thanks.

Is there any kind of market for stock rims after you purchase your aftermarket rims, to help defer the cost?
always...look at the prices on ebay! and look in our forsale section on the CL Forums!...you will see what they are worth...based on condition..hehe

CEO
Old 08-11-04 | 08:13 AM
bladefist
Driver School Candidate

How do I find out my wheel size, and what my limitations are on upgrading/downgraiding that size

Quick Reply: Cheap Ideas