SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Cheap Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-04 | 08:19 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Originally posted by bladefist
How do I find out my wheel size, and what my limitations are on upgrading/downgraiding that size
look on your tires for a number is should end with a 16 or 15's...you have no limitations with size...me personally i wouldnt go higher than 18 or 19's...and would never go lower than 16's, if you do a search you will find out about the different sizes and what is good or bad about them...enjoy!

CEO
Old 08-11-04 | 08:27 AM
bladefist
Driver School Candidate

i guess if i change size, i also have to get my car reconfigured for the speed changes
Old 08-11-04 | 09:05 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

i know that 17'" wheels on my car throw it off by 3mph..which is minor..i dont know about the rest im sure there is a write up somwhere on here about the speed changes...its not really that big of a deal..

CEO
Old 08-12-04 | 09:43 PM
Caanon
Rookie

Originally posted by bladefist
i guess if i change size, i also have to get my car reconfigured for the speed changes
This discusses that: http://www.intellexual.net/faq.html#0291
Basically you figure out the right size tire so the difference is small, then don't worry about a it.
Old 08-13-04 | 06:52 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Good cheap mods off the top of my head:

-Candy apple red tails
-DIY clear corners
-BFI (cut airbox)
-Dark tint
-Clean, clean, clean!!!!

Heres a pic of the candy apple tails

I love the look of them ,and they arent that hard to do at all

Good luck
Old 08-13-04 | 06:26 PM
P.Williams
Pit Crew

I agree. All red tails make a big difference on the earlier cars. If you take your time in painting and color sand them smooth, you'll never be able to tell they've just been painted. My advice also is to tape off and stripe the back-up lights. It won't cause them to light up red, but will help create the illusion of a fully red taillight. The same tranluscent paint technique can also be used to smoke the front corner lamps.
Say bladefist, where are you in Missouri?
Old 08-13-04 | 06:36 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Originally posted by P.Williams
I agree. All red tails make a big difference on the earlier cars. If you take your time in painting and color sand them smooth, you'll never be able to tell they've just been painted. My advice also is to tape off and stripe the back-up lights. It won't cause them to light up red, but will help create the illusion of a fully red taillight. The same tranluscent paint technique can also be used to smoke the front corner lamps.
Say bladefist, where are you in Missouri?
I really like the contrast of the white in the all red taillights, I wouldnt have it any other way
Old 08-13-04 | 07:27 PM
bladefist
Driver School Candidate

kansas city & up north near iowa...depending on the day
Old 08-13-04 | 07:54 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 10,000

Aerostar, I think I may just go with painting the tail lights instead of blowing $300 of the 1997 ones. It looks nice

Last edited by mteele; 08-13-04 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-13-04 | 08:06 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Sounds cool, you need any help, feel free to PM me
Old 09-30-04 | 07:22 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

I know this thread goes back to August, but I was polishing my watch crystal today with some Simichrome polish and remembered VSsc400's comment about polishing up the center console and so I tried it out and wow what a difference- thanks for the tip!

In the past, I only used cleaner on the center console, but you really need something more abrasive, like Simichrome or swirl remover to remove that top patina of dull oxidized plastic- do it right and your rag will turn black. There's much darker, smoother, shinier plastic under there.

The only problem is that it is much easier to polish the ashtray and shifter cover than the stereo and climate control panels (with all their ***** and buttons), so I only did the bottom two. So now there's a bit of contrast between the polished and unpolished panels. Still worth doing, though.
Old 09-30-04 | 08:50 PM
P.Williams
Pit Crew

The black substance left on the rag is paint. The center panels are painted satin black. Rubbing alcohol or any plastic-friendly paint remover will take it off. Be advised, if you do the upper panels you'll also be removing any logos, such as the one at the top right of the stereo.
Old 09-30-04 | 09:37 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Cheap mods.. (this will be redundant in some cases)

Clear side markers
BFI
CLEANING
Interior airfilter from Lowes or Home improvement
Ground kit upgrade (go to your local car audio place to get wires and gold connectors)
changing the lights on the inside of your car (time consuming, and could end up costing alot of money if you break something)
Sylvannia Silverstars for your headlights and foglights (makes a big difference)
Clean your headlights with plastic cleaner.
If you get a wax, get Meguiars NXT. I use it to wax my wood trim and plastic
Old 10-01-04 | 02:42 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by PERRYinLA
I know this thread goes back to August, but I was polishing my watch crystal today with some Simichrome polish and remembered VSsc400's comment about polishing up the center console and so I tried it out and wow what a difference- thanks for the tip!

In the past, I only used cleaner on the center console, but you really need something more abrasive, like Simichrome or swirl remover to remove that top patina of dull oxidized plastic- do it right and your rag will turn black. There's much darker, smoother, shinier plastic under there.

The only problem is that it is much easier to polish the ashtray and shifter cover than the stereo and climate control panels (with all their ***** and buttons), so I only did the bottom two. So now there's a bit of contrast between the polished and unpolished panels. Still worth doing, though.
I have to try this....