I am SOOOOOOO mad!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-04, 02:00 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Angry I am SOOOOOOO mad!

Guys,

Brought my car in to firestone to get my rear pads and rotors replaced. They just called me to tell me that when they were removing my calipers they broke the guide pin that goes into the mount bracket, and that they have to get a new one which is $140. They said that they were careful but it broke off in there. I have to pay for it they said because it was frozen in there so wasn't their fault.

Worse than that the car is not driveable because of this and they can't get the part in until Tuesday. I asked them to supply a loaner and they said they don't do that. So now, because they broke a part, that they are making me pay, I have no car until Tuesday. I am sooooooooooooo MAD!!

I want to go up there and beat the crap out of those idiots. What should I do???

Jonny
Old 08-20-04, 02:09 PM
Dixond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Threaten to bring a lawyer down there today!!! I wanna hear how they handle that.
They did the work. They broke the part. Now they won't supply you with an alternative.
There is something WAYYYY wrong with that. Seek legal counsel QUICKLY!
Dix
Old 08-20-04, 02:12 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i just sold a caliper to a member for 45 shipped complete, find yourself a used caliper locally!

call these guys, they may have it: D & V Salvage, Inc. USA-OK(Ada) 888-711-0770

Last edited by aliga; 08-20-04 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-20-04, 02:19 PM
DETUNED
Lexus Test Driver

I don't think it's entirely their fault. If you needed something replaced, there is a chance of something else that needs to be fixed. Take the car back and fix it yourself.
Old 08-20-04, 02:25 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 1JZsoarer
I don't think it's entirely their fault. If you needed something replaced, there is a chance of something else that needs to be fixed. Take the car back and fix it yourself.
Well I can't fix it myself, they have already broken it!! It wasn't a part that was broken - they broke it!! So it pretty much is their fault.

Jonny
Old 08-20-04, 02:29 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd CALMLY threaten them with legal action. That's totally unacceptable. They broke it, they shoud replace it. Ask them if it says anywhere on your paperwork that if they damage the car you have to pay for it. If not then you may have some ammo. That sucks though and I've been there, I was a lot younger so they may have gotten over on me. But not in this day and age. I never let shops work on my car for this very reason, I prefer to have one of my friends do it.
Old 08-20-04, 02:35 PM
DETUNED
Lexus Test Driver

How is it their fault?

That part could have or couldn't have been bad in the first place. say you bring a tire to get fixed and a lugnut was cross threaded.. is it the tire techs fualt that he had to break the lug nut off, just to get the wheel off? Not really. It could have been the last tire techs fault by not putting the lug not on straight.

so maybe, just maybe when the brakes were replaced the previous time, they broke the part, or....it broke on it's own.
Old 08-20-04, 03:49 PM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

I would say it is completely their fault for being negligent about the situation. They stated that they knew there was a possibilty the part would break, they should have called the owner and told him this and then gotten his permission to continue "trying" to remove it. I have never taken my car to a shop and had them break something and rack up the cost without first getting permission from me. Actually I remember reading at a shop in FL that it was a law that you had to be quoted before you left the car and made aware of any changes in that quote prior to them continuing work on the vehicle. I would honestly do as others suggested and very politely mention that you do not feel it is your fault because you never ok'ed them "trying" to fix it. They should have called and made you aware of the problem they encountered first, and I am almost certain that is legally.
Old 08-20-04, 04:17 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

whoop dat azz!! I agree totally,... they break it, they buy it,... unless they consult with you first and then legitimately take every precaution not to break it. bustaz!
Old 08-20-04, 04:57 PM
DETUNED
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by boobstar
. They stated that they knew there was a possibilty the part would break, they should have called the owner and told him this and then gotten his permission to continue "trying" to remove it.
when did they state that there was a possiblility a part would break? am i missing something?

in FL that it was a law that you had to be quoted before you left the car and made aware of any changes in that quote prior to them continuing work on the vehicle.
I'm sure he was quoted for a break job when he left his car. when they started to work on his car, comething else went wrong....so they called him back to let him know the damage.

I would honestly do as others suggested and very politely mention that you do not feel it is your fault because you never ok'ed them "trying" to fix it. They should have called and made you aware of the problem they encountered first, and I am almost certain that is legally.

I do agree on this...you should see if you can get a free part...(it's always good to try) but i don't think it's their fault entirely.

Also, they did call him.

{Edit: Fixed broken coding - Legendary}

Last edited by legendary; 08-20-04 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-20-04, 05:57 PM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by 1JZsoarer
when did they state that there was a possiblility a part would break? am i missing something?
in FL that it was a law that you had to be quoted before you left the car and made aware of any changes in that quote prior to them continuing work on the vehicle.
I'm sure he was quoted for a break job when he left his car. when they started to work on his car, comething else went wrong....so they called him back to let him know the damage.

I do agree on this...you should see if you can get a free part...(it's always good to try) but i don't think it's their fault entirely.

Also, they did call him.
Yes they did call him AFTER they attempted to fix a problem they never made him aware of. All I am saying is that they should have called him as soon as they realized that they ran into a problem because as we both agree he went in for a brake job. While it is true this happens to be a part of the brake job, when they saw that there was a potential to break a part as they admitted (due to it being frozen) they should have called and said "look we ran into a problem, theres a possibility this part may break and it would run 150 to replace". If not people could break **** all day just to charge you retail for something they get at a jobber cost.

{edited for broken coding - Legendary}

Last edited by legendary; 08-20-04 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-20-04, 06:10 PM
DETUNED
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by boobstar

Yes they did call him AFTER they attempted to fix a problem they never made him aware of. All I am saying is that they should have called him as soon as they realized that they ran into a problem because as we both agree he went in for a brake job. While it is true this happens to be a part of the brake job, when they saw that there was a potential to break a part as they admitted (due to it being frozen) they should have called and said "look we ran into a problem, theres a possibility this part may break and it would run 150 to replace". If not people could break **** all day just to charge you retail for something they get at a jobber cost.
they called him after he gave them the ok to change the brakes, then ran into that problem....when did they attempt to fix the broken part? THey called before they attempted to fix it to let him know.

how did they know it was going to brake? just like when removing a nit or bolt that snaps, you didn't know...it was rusted or cross threaded....so would it be their fault?

I'm not trying to argue with you....just don't see how it's definatly their fault. it could be, and it couldn't be....
Old 08-20-04, 06:34 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

they most likely didnt know it was going to break. I would say its thier fault if they knew it was frozen and forced it off. But if they just normally torqued it off and it snapped it probably wasnt thier fault. Its like when you try to take off a rusted bolt and it snaps.
Old 08-20-04, 06:44 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Well guys,

They told me that they had tried several different sprays to loosen it to get it off. So, really, it's not like they put ther wrench on it and it just broke.

Had they called me and told me that there was a possibility they could run into a problem then I would have brought the car back at a more convenient time when I could do without it.

I work weekends and I spend a lot of time in my car driving to sales calls, thus having my car is extremely important. So I am left for no car for 5 days, which means I am going to lose out on sales. So in essence, I am doing without my car for 5 days, and losing potential sales. I work partly on commission. This sucks!

Peace,

jonny
Old 08-20-04, 07:20 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

1) What is a lexus doing at firestone? Couldn't you have found a better mechanic? My grandpa goes there with his 95' Mitsubishi Galant ES and they noticed that a engine mount was broken - they wanted $140 for it - grandpa had it replaced for much less at his regular mechanic

2) If the tech saw that he can't get a part out then he should have gotten your authorization to break it.

3) Get some legal action.

Quick Reply: I am SOOOOOOO mad!