SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New Pics! Shiny Black!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-04, 10:43 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car would kick me in the shins if it saw your car pic.

awesome job.
Old 08-23-04, 10:47 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

D your car would kick your family jewels.
Old 08-23-04, 12:17 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by aliga
D your car would kick your family jewels.

oucH! I spit shined it last week.
Old 08-23-04, 02:07 PM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

very nice, bro.......i like a lot!!!

im going to repaint my car into black.......i hope it comes out shiny as yours!........hehe
Old 08-23-04, 03:12 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

totally diggin' it my man!!!!
Old 08-23-04, 03:52 PM
agapepaga
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn... can you say mirror finish?

very nice
Old 08-23-04, 04:38 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

Thanks everybody. Now I hope my car stays happy for a bit and doesn't give me any trouble. It just rained today , but hot damn if it didn't bead up!
Old 08-23-04, 05:40 PM
Senator
Lexus Champion

Default What is what is that??

Originally posted by sweetsc400
Thanks for the compliments everybody. Yes, I did it all myself, and I'd be happy to break it down Here we go:

1) Wash with Dawn Dishwashing soap to remove all the prior wax. . .then dry it.

2) Clay Bar the entire car using Meguiar's Mild Clay Bar while spraying a mixture of P21S Conditioning Soap to lubricate the surface.

3) Washed the car. . .again. . .with P21S Conditioning Soap. . .By this step, your car will never be as clean. After steps 1 and 3, I found it very important to dry the entire car thoroughly, as water spots will really etch their way into your paint without any protective layer.

4) Using my Variable-speed Rotary Buffer, I bought a 3M Polishing Foam Pad to apply 3M Perfect It Swirl Mark Remover for Black Finishes. I sometimes made 7-8 passes. This step is they key, IMO. It's important to note that the 3M Perfect It product should be used for mild swirl marks, and not moderate/heavy. I thought I had mild swirl marks, soon I realized they were moderate, and some heavy. Nevertheless, the car has never looked better.

5) Inspect the car for any areas that need extra attention. For example: The front bumper cover of my car got extra attention because of the rock chips and bugs, etc.

6) Now it's Zaino Time!! Since Black Onyx is a One Stage paint (i.e., no clearcoat), I used Z-3 for Regular paint finishes. After applying the product evenly all over the car using up-down motions on the sides and bumpers, and front to back motions for the trunk-lid, roof and hood, I buffed it off using a Microfibre towel.

7) When the car is freshly wiped of Z-3, I went over it all with Meguiar's Quick Detailer to give it a three-dimensional look.

8) Once that dried, I followed with Z-5 to fill in the remainder of the swirl marks. Again, after the Z-5 dried, I followed with Meguiar's quick detailer and switched back to Z-3.

You can switch between the Z-3 (or Z-2 for clearcoats) and Z-5 as many times as you want. Zaino recommends that you always end on Z-3 or Z-2 because of it's better optical qualities.

That's about it. The paint is smooth as glass, and the reflection looks endless. I'm very pleased.
Once again, your car looks freakin' sweet.

But I have some questions... Sorry, but what is Zaino?? I have never heard of it but I want to try it on the MG.. looks like it can do wonders... also who makes the P21S conditioning soap?

Thanks..

Josh
Old 08-23-04, 06:26 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

Default Re: What is what is that??

Originally posted by Senator
Once again, your car looks freakin' sweet.

But I have some questions... Sorry, but what is Zaino?? I have never heard of it but I want to try it on the MG.. looks like it can do wonders... also who makes the P21S conditioning soap?

Thanks..

Josh
Hey Josh -

Try a seach for Zaino here on CL, you'll find that it's highly praised and commonly used. Zaino is arguably the finest "wax" out there. It's actually a polymer sealant, and not a wax. It generally provides better, longer-lasting, shiner protection. But it's expensive. I thin Zainostore.com is their website, check it out.

P21 makes the conditioning soap, as far as I'm conerned. Here's a link to check it out.
Old 08-23-04, 06:35 PM
Senator
Lexus Champion

Thanks mucho apperication over here.....

Did I ever mention how bad of a speller I am???

Josh
Old 08-23-04, 06:38 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Senator
Thanks mucho apperication over here.....

Did I ever mention how bad of a speller I am???

Josh
I don'te know whut yer tocking abowt. . . Ain't no thang, man. . .
Old 08-23-04, 06:43 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by sweetsc400
Thanks for the compliments everybody. Yes, I did it all myself, and I'd be happy to break it down Here we go:

1) Wash with Dawn Dishwashing soap to remove all the prior wax. . .then dry it.

2) Clay Bar the entire car using Meguiar's Mild Clay Bar while spraying a mixture of P21S Conditioning Soap to lubricate the surface.

3) Washed the car. . .again. . .with P21S Conditioning Soap. . .By this step, your car will never be as clean. After steps 1 and 3, I found it very important to dry the entire car thoroughly, as water spots will really etch their way into your paint without any protective layer.

4) Using my Variable-speed Rotary Buffer, I bought a 3M Polishing Foam Pad to apply 3M Perfect It Swirl Mark Remover for Black Finishes. I sometimes made 7-8 passes. This step is they key, IMO. It's important to note that the 3M Perfect It product should be used for mild swirl marks, and not moderate/heavy. I thought I had mild swirl marks, soon I realized they were moderate, and some heavy. Nevertheless, the car has never looked better.

5) Inspect the car for any areas that need extra attention. For example: The front bumper cover of my car got extra attention because of the rock chips and bugs, etc.

6) Now it's Zaino Time!! Since Black Onyx is a One Stage paint (i.e., no clearcoat), I used Z-3 for Regular paint finishes. After applying the product evenly all over the car using up-down motions on the sides and bumpers, and front to back motions for the trunk-lid, roof and hood, I buffed it off using a Microfibre towel.

7) When the car is freshly wiped of Z-3, I went over it all with Meguiar's Quick Detailer to give it a three-dimensional look.

8) Once that dried, I followed with Z-5 to fill in the remainder of the swirl marks. Again, after the Z-5 dried, I followed with Meguiar's quick detailer and switched back to Z-3.

You can switch between the Z-3 (or Z-2 for clearcoats) and Z-5 as many times as you want. Zaino recommends that you always end on Z-3 or Z-2 because of it's better optical qualities.

That's about it. The paint is smooth as glass, and the reflection looks endless. I'm very pleased.
Thanks.

So the only thing you applied by machine was the swirl remover, the rest was done by hand? Sounds tedious but worth the results.
Old 08-23-04, 07:03 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

curious as to how long it'll look like that?
Old 08-23-04, 09:22 PM
DHRP
Lead Lap

Great job on the detail. Black shows so much depth in the paint.

How much experience do you have with the rotary? When do you know you can step up to one after using a PC for so long?
Old 08-23-04, 09:24 PM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

Good job. I can literally say thats a clean car. Do you have any before pics?

Quick Reply: New Pics! Shiny Black!