SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

springs problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-01, 10:52 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

I had new Eibach Pro springs and Tokico shocks installed for about a week now.
Things were going fine until I notice that my right rear wheel gap is about 2" more than my left rear. That is to say the wheel gap is 1" left, 3" on right side. Brought the car back to the shop. They swiched the springs right to left and asked me to drive it for a week.

So far the right side gap is still about 1" wider than the left side. Any ideas what the problem is? My car has less than 50K miles and is in perfect shape. Thanks,

Old 04-12-01, 11:22 PM
FastSC300

holy ****!
I have the same problem....I actually cut my springs. I noticed that my pass. side sits higher than my drvier side, sometimes more than other times. I actually cut them a second time and made sure they were perfect and it still does this. This is definitely weird. My problem may be due the alignment of the car. It seems that I have more camber(/ |)<< on the left side than the right.
HOWEVER, my GF drove the car and I followed and it looks equal on both sides......this is weird. Only when I park the car does it have a higher gap from the tire to the ledge of the fender.

Scot Hail
Old 04-13-01, 12:12 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Here's even a weirder story:
After the springs installation I had the car aligned.
It took wheel works three attempts but I still left with a minor crooked steering wheel. They said there's nothing they can do about it: it's the "radial pull" crap.

Well I thought I'll need a new set of tires in three months anyway so I'll bring it back for another alignment check. However the funny thing is after the shop switched my springs now the crooked steering is gone. It's straight now!

You think this might be a case of bad springs?
The springs might be of equal height uncompressed but I think it's the compressed height that counts... ?? Unfortunately you only find that out after the installation

Old 04-13-01, 02:01 PM
FastSC300

Yea I have thought that it might be a bad spring or saggy spring. Even when it was stock height I noticed that the driver side sat a little lower, that might be the problem, I can always switch the springs and see what happens, that way I can tell for sure if the springs are the culprit.

Scot hail
Old 04-14-01, 12:58 PM
soarergt

Red face cut springs?

my gawd...cutting springs is such a bad idea. modifying a vehicles original springs almost always ends with unsatisfactory results. cutting of coils or collapsing stock springs with heat my adversely affect the spring rate, multiply internal stresses, and prevent them from fitting the vehicles suspension correctly. you even risk a chance of your springs popping loose while you are driving...cutting springs is dangerous! if you dont believe me ask someone at tirerack.com or ask a mechanic they will tell you the same thing. dont believe what you hear in the streets about cutting springs...ask the real professionals who know what they are talking about. springs such as eibach are affordable and are one of the cheapest modifications you can do to enhance performance.
Old 04-14-01, 02:33 PM
FastSC300

shut up, dude. Obviously you have never looked at the suspension or what you can do and can't do. If it was undriveable I would have put eibachs on it by now! I have road raced the car with the cut springs too. So don't tell me how awful it is and how I'm gonna bounce all over the road! Because YOU'RE wrong just like the "the guys" at tirerack.com and ofcorse they will say it's bad, they want to sale some freakin springs!!!!!

Besides we weren't talking about if cutting springs was bad or not. So your .02 cents was not needed.

Scot Hail
Houston, Tx

Old 04-14-01, 05:10 PM
soarergt

Thumbs down re: cut springs

so you are right about the guys at tirerack would want to sell you springs. but a mechanice that you know personally and trust will totally recommend not cutting your springs. obviously you never asked a mechanic. i was thinking about cutting my springs but i asked a number of mechanics that i personally know and they kept giving me the same response...cutting springs is not recommended, it can be dangerous and cutting springs is only done for looks and does not enhance performance. so there you go...i have asked a number of people with credibility...the professionals not amatures or word of the street. and obviously the cut springs arent working for you well if you have ride height and alignment problems. with this being said i dont wish to waste my time getting into any flaming arguements.
Old 04-14-01, 06:54 PM
Toan Nguyen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gawd... Do you even have a Soarer?

Gawd.... Soarergt... do you have any idea about what you are talking about? Unless you've done it and tried it I dont think you've got any valid ground to stand on. I know alot of people with cut springs and although the ride is a bit harsher, the fact that it's lower to the ground gives it such a handling advantage (lower center of gravity??) and it looks sweet as well... (watch out for shopping mall speed traps!!!

Anyways.... back to the pont... I think the passenger side is higher because the way the flywheel spins... when you are driving... Ie... it spins clockwise when going forward, thus putting more force on the passenger side.... Try a hard launch on semi-wet surface and the car will almost always have the back slide towards the passenger side... It's like when you brake and accelerate and the back of the car gets pushed down... I cant remember the word for that force.... something... Although.... this is just my BS theory... And I may be completely off track.

Oh yeah... to soarergt... why would you ask someone to cut your springs.... If you actually have a soarergt then you would know that the suspension on Soarers are already fully adjustable (stock) for height, toe, camber, etc.... and If you have TEMS, then it's electronically adjustable for bound/rebound as well.

Cheers,

Toan.

(Who actually does have a '93 Soarer GT Twin Turbo 1JZ-GTE, with TEMS)
Old 04-14-01, 10:05 PM
FastSC300

I don't mean to be an a-hole. but just got got kinda of chapped at the assumption of cutting springs, and believing what people say compared to actually doing it. It is true that on some cars you might have some problems, with ride, spring placement, etc. But not on the lexus, and not in my case. Ofcorse, most mechanics will say not to cut the springs mainly because a company sells them lowered. But I really don't think many mechanics have had experience with cut springs on certain cars, and certainly not all cars. And they certainly have not had a chance to compare stock cut springs to aftermarket lowered springs. Main point though is I did cut them, and yes the ride is a little harsher(stiffer) which is the whole point in lowering a vehicle, to make it handle better and look better too. And I haven't had nor do I see a problem in the future with having them cut.
Scot Hail
Old 04-15-01, 02:54 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Cutting isn't THAT bad if done on certain cars and in moderation...they key word here is "moderation"

Old 04-15-01, 06:04 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Could it be that the rear springs weren't aligned properly? I notice on the stock springs there are four paint markings of the same height. Also I remember reading about some springs installation threads a while back that when you replace the spring make sure that you mark the position against the factory spring.

Since I was watching the installation I know that the mechanic didn't mark anything. ??
Old 04-15-01, 06:30 PM
soarergt

ok this is my last post for this topic. first of all toan...i NEVER claimed to have a soarer...i have an SC300 and have never perpetrated if you ever looked at my past posts. just because my SN is soarergt doesnt mean i have a soarer, like you assumed. and these mechanics that i know personally and asked about the spring cutting are friends that i grew up with and known even before they were mechanics...so they wouldnt be trying to persuade me in any way.
Old 04-15-01, 10:55 PM
FastSC300

SC400
the strut itself has a ridge in which the spring butts up too. I did place them correctly on the strut and they did sit fine also as the car was compressed(suspension). I did see the colored marks and I also do not know what they mean, it could be for identification purposes at the factory, not sure though.

Scot Hail
Old 04-16-01, 02:09 AM
VeilsideRSPsc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my car with the eibachs/tokicos and now the teins exhibit the same thing..driver side being lower than the passenger side.... i got used to it..and stopped caring =)

-brian
Old 04-16-01, 08:17 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Seems very strange that a car that was level with stock springs is left un-even following a lowering spring change

This is not correct, I would definitely contact Eibach.

As far as cutting springs, Scot was meticulous about how he measured and cut. If done correctly, cut springs aren't dangerous. His results seem just fine. Even so, it does seem more likely to end up uneven than using Eibachs.

soarergt, your screen name sure suggests you own a Soarer. I don't care one way or another but some will call that posing. From reading your post I would think that your intentions were good. Your tone was the problem. Instead of "my gawd" how about, "how is it working for you, I have always heard...". I bet Scot would have been happy to explain.

Brian, you said you have Teins. I was thinking they were coil overs with height adjustment.
Does Teins have a web site?

Quick Reply: springs problem?